Topic: Gain has no effect on dynamic mic

I have an SM57 plugged into AN2 on a BabyFace Pro. When I adjust the gain, nothing happens. Adding the pad has a noticeable effect, but I can't figure out a way to adjust the gain at all.

Thanks!

Re: Gain has no effect on dynamic mic

You have Inst active. If not toggle it one time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. Do you mean that the Instrument input is active? I'm not sure I understand.

4 (edited by ramses 2017-06-11 09:18:28)

@SigFriedRice: what are you not understanding ? Instrument mode and how to turn it on or off ?

MC wants only to ensure that you do not have it turned on by accident, when in fact a Micro is connected to AN2.
Or maybe for additional reason that I dont know.

Simply DO it ..  wink

Toggle in TotalMix FX in the AN2 Hardware Input
the instrument mode on and off and report,
- whether it was turned on by accident or
- whether you hear a significant difference

Good luck !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Toggle means: switch it on and off. We had cases where an initial reset was necessary, so Inst was not signalled but it was active.

Edit: Nonsense, there is no Inst. I meant PAD, active but not shown as such. As you tried that already make a loop analog output XLR to analog input XLR and play back some music. Do you get full level input signal with gain set to 0?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for clarifying.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I tried toggling the PAD, but it did not seem to have any affect on the issue.

I just noticed that the issue seems to be affecting AN 1 as well, even with a different microphone. I tried doing a full, factory reset of TotalMix, but this did not resolve the issue. This seemed to work before. I'm not sure what has changed.

Is there a way to confirm that the mic preamp is working properly?

I was able to resolve the issue by completely shutting down the computer, and unplugging the BabyFace from the computer, waiting about 10 seconds, plugging it back in, and powering the computer back up.