1 (edited by portoparasas 2014-11-12 13:13:58)

Topic: Fireface UFX strange signal analog inputs 1-8

Hello,

Yesterday UFX started showing signal, coming to analog inputs 1-8, it is visible in Totalmix and UFX inputs section. Analog inputs 1-8 are empty physically and are rarely used. Signal is the same in all 1-8 channels - if it's decaying, decay happening in all channels, and vice versa. Today the same thing is occurring. UFX mains is always connected to APC Smart UPS.

Signal properties:

• low level (from -? to ~55dBfs)

• very low frequency with harmonics (audio file and video file with spectrum attached) 

• unpredictible timing (it can stay for 5 minutes or 5 seconds, and then there is a gap of silence)

This UFX unit had RMA two times. First time - all analog inputs was showing signal from nowhere, and all analog outputs at the same time was cracking and popping. Second time - UFX Durec USB port died for no reason. UFX ID: 23106593

RME, can you tell me what is happening to my UFX?

Why Fireface 800, that i have more than 8 years (it's used every day), is still working fine, and UFX, that i use several times a week, is dying again 3rd time?

Video with spectrum analyzer:

when signal is occurring ftp://rme:firefaceUFX@78.60.8.135/1.%20 … Inputs.wmv

when there is no signal ftp://rme:firefaceUFX@78.60.8.135/2.%20 … roblem.wmv

Video with Totalmix analog inputs: ftp://rme:firefaceUFX@78.60.8.135/Total … roblem.wmv

Audio recording (1 channel) : ftp://rme:firefaceUFX@78.60.8.135/3.%20 … roblem.wav

If links above are not working: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/b3 … 248/fffbb9

Note: Link to audio recording is fixed.

Re: Fireface UFX strange signal analog inputs 1-8

Note: today analog inputs 1-8 is showing unknown signal all the time

RME - can't you say anything?

Check WordClock! Had the same issue.

5 (edited by portoparasas 2014-11-12 13:16:24)

Thank you for reply. Fireface UFX clock is internal. It doesn't matter that i clock it from other device via ADAT or WordClock, strange signal always appear. I will repeat: this signal only available in Analog In 1-8 (Analog In 9-12 and all other inputs are fine).

Could it be, that some mains filter (in UFX) is giving up?

6 (edited by portoparasas 2014-11-12 19:24:20)

Note: Today i have checked this Fireface UFX in two other studios - it was showing the same strange signal.

RME, can you tell me what's happening to my Fireface UFX? should i buy other audio interface, or is this repairable?

Something is apparently defective here... I'm afraid the unit will require service again...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

UPDATE: After the second Fireface RMA process, I didn't use DuREC function for a long time. A couple of weeks ago I was recording outdoors, so I decided to use DuREC. Then I noticed that the strange noise occurs when Fireface use front USB connection or some kind of processor associated with the USB data transfer. This problem never happened before second RMA.

Here are video and audio file links:

Youtube video: http://youtu.be/KZArVrRxBrc

Download video: https://drive.google.com/a/mokomiejifil … Z1dlk/view

Download audio (it was recorded during video recording): https://drive.google.com/a/mokomiejifil … 1QZEU/view

RME, is it possible, that second RMA (when mainboard was changed for UFX, because DuREC stopped working) has something to do with it?

Thanks for reply.

That indeed looks like the current drawn from the USB device cross-talks into the analog inputs. If so the unit needs another warranty RMA. Who replaced that mainboard last time?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This UFX unit has been sent to the RME office in Germany (that was told by your representatives from midiaudio.com). For the second RMA (when DuREC stopped working), UFX was more than two years old, and for shipping and repairs I had to cover the cost (~ 500 €). I think you have a unit repair history, so here are UFX ID: 23106593. As I have already said, after the second RMA process, approximately three months later, I noticed the strange noise. In this case, this would be valid warranty repair (previous RMA fix), covering all costs?

I'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello again,

Is there any news?

Manufacturing asks you to please send in the unit once again so it can be examined. Something is not ok, and they want to find out what that is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for reply. I am having a tour right now and have no replacement for UFX. After a tour I will go to RME representatives Midiaudio.com and send the card to you.

Because of intensive work, there were no chances that I could send UFX to Germany for a three months. Also, there are no clues about covering repair costs on RMA error. After two RMA processes, that together took about 6 months and costed around €500, I don't want to pay for another RMA and wait more. So, after a two years of random low spectrum noise in analog in section (1-8) I decided to order new PSU for Fireface UFX (RME - NT RME4). As I can see there are other people that had the same problem.

When I opened my UFX (warranty long gone, unit is one of the first 1000 released), I was surprised, that when RMA changed UFX digital board (second RMA, USB was not working), they left the same analog board, that was from old revision/generation. So, to summarize, all internal boards (rev 1.2), except for analog (rev 1.1) was changed (random unwanted noise in analog section). To add, before RMA process, FW and USB LED's were green. Now I see, that after RMA, internal boards LED were changed to blue (newer version), but from outside of the unit they still look green, but very dim, so someone has forgotten to change some color plastic inside. When I got UFX from second RMA, I noticed this thing, but RME representatives asked do I want to pay for another shipping and wait more for 3 months? I think it was easier to change old RMA unit to new one, than have almost everything changed and with errors.

TotalMix is the only reason why I still use your products.

Update:

Changing PSU (RME - NT RME4) of UFX have no difference in random analog section noise. Well, that only leaves the analog board of rev. 1.1, which RMA service did not replaced. What a shame.