Topic: UFX trs analog ins have random noise floor issues

I've had my UFX for a few months but lately I've noticed an issue on the 8 analog line ins where the noise floor on all 8 will suddenly jump up from around -100 to -70ish, up and down randomly for minutes at a time. Nothing is plugged into these lines so it's a little worrying why it is doing this.

I've been able to record a sample if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v0gl1vodh842 … roblem.wav
44.1khz-16bit mono - normalized +72dB

This is just a recording off Analog 1, but the same problem is replicated across all line in channels (not the mic channels).

From that recording under a spectrum analyser you can see it's mostly a huge sub-bass thing going on.

Is something wrong with my unit?

Anyway I can fix it? (prefereably without having to send the unit somewhere, a firmware update or whatnot)

thanks

Re: UFX trs analog ins have random noise floor issues

Sorry, but that needs indeed fixing at the factory. Please send it in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm in Australia, where should I send it?
And approximately how long can I expect it to take? I have regular work I have to take into account

Please contact

Innovative Music Australia Pty Ltd.
Contact person: Steve Lincoln Smith
Unit 5-Howley Place 31-37, Howleys Road
Notting Hill VIC 3168
Australia 3149
Phone: 0061-03-95 400 658
Fax: 0061-03-95 629 374
E-mail: sales@innovativemusic.com.au
Web: www.innovativemusic.com.au
Support:   support@innovativemusic.com.au

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

did you managed to solve analog-in noise problems? I have the same thing and now ordered a new PSU for Fireface UFX (RME - NT RME4). If the problem is solved, what was the case?

Thank you.

There are several possible causes for such noise, but the PSU is not one of them. You might want to cancel that order...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Update:

Well MC, you were correct, changing PSU of UFX made no difference. That only leaves RMA mistakes: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 74#p122574

I don't know why you think the service should have exchanged the analog board, which was working ok and not reported to make any problem. Also I can not believe that you would have liked to pay for replacing a really expensive PCB (the main part of the whole unit) when there is no imminent and obvious error with it.

Why is this an 'RMA mistake'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think I have the same issue, intermittently.  A short recording from analog 1&2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpimw50hjhzqr … e.aif?dl=0

Per the OP I see this noise on all 8 analog inputs, but the mic inputs are clean.  I had things plugged into analog 5-8 when I first noticed the issue on the TotalMix meters on all 8 channels, I disconnected all the inputs and still saw the noise.  Is there anything else I should try or should I RMA the unit if I continue to see the issue?

Thanks.

That recording sounds like a mixture of open input / cable attached, EMI and normal noise. Did you record the input without anything connected?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I'd unplugged all the inputs to rule out other sources, but understand that open inputs will pick up some noise.  It's the intermittent LF content that's unexpected, and I did observe that on connected inputs as well.  Yesterday I thought about EMI and even turned off my computer but could still see some movement on the meters.  What I didn't do was move my work laptop (MacBook Air) which was sitting on the desk a few inches above the UFX.  Today I moved that away and I've not seen the issue since.  Though the laptop was off/lid closed, of course it's not really off it's just "asleep", so seems it was probably emitting some bursts of EMI from time to time.

Thanks for your quick response MC, I'll post back here if I see something similar again, but I think this is resolved for me now.

Just an update but for me the problem lasted a few weeks then just went away and I haven't had it come back again??
I can't really explain it....maybe it was electro-magnetic interference or some ghost in the system?
Either way it's been fine in this regard for the last few years.