1 (edited by Jantex 2017-06-20 05:24:06)

Topic: Question about a setup before purchase

I would be using ADI-2 Pro as my mastering chain converter with UAD Apollo 8P. I am using Genelec 8351 monitors which I connect digitally via UAD Apollo 8P. I have two questions:

1.) I am wondering whether I would be able to ADI-2 Pro in the following configuration. I would connect ADI-2 Pro digitally via Toslink SPDIF to UAD Apollo, then I would have Analog out 1/2 from ADI-2 PRO connected to my mastering analog chain which would return back to Analog in 1/2 on ADI-2 PRo. Would I be able then to monitor through AES output on ADI-2 Pro the final processed signal (then went through my analog chain) and not only the digital signal, that initially went in via SPDIF?

2.) When mixing and not using my analog mastering chain, will I be able to only use ADI-2 Pro as a bit-perfect digital through-pass for monitoring via AES on ADI-2Pro without the signal being sent throug analog out/analog in loop (without needing to disconnect HW)?

Thank you in advance, probably I would be able to find the answers to this by going through the manual thoroughly, but think it is the best to ask, to get a clear answer to these two questions. If the answer to both is yes, I will purchase it immediately.

Best regards, Tine

Re: Question about a setup before purchase

Your setup description is incorrect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

May I kindly ask why?

> I would connect ADI-2 Pro digitally via Toslink SPDIF to ADI-2Po,

That doesn't make sense to me. Connecting the ADI to itself?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> I would connect ADI-2 Pro digitally via Toslink SPDIF to ADI-2Po,

That doesn't make sense to me. Connecting the ADI to itself?

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant I would connect ADI-2 Pro via Tosling SPDIF to UAD Apollo....the rest is correct. I would like to apologise for this and am still interested whether the two connections I described would be possible using ADI-2 Pro.

Could you then please edit the start post, so that the real information is not split across 2 posts ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have edited the post, but still not received a simple answer to inform me whether the configuration I planned would be possible.

1. SPDIF In to Analog out -> Analog In to AES Out
That is the normal chain of an AD/DA converter and of course possible with the ADI-2 Pro, in both 2-channel and Multichannel mode.

2. AES In to AES Out. You change the Basic mode from AD/DA to Dig Thru, that's it. Or stay in AD/DA, change 'Dig Out Source' to 'Main Out', select 'AES In' as Source of Analog Out 1/2 and then have bit perfect through at 0 dB Volume, but can use Volume, EQ and anything else also if you want to...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. SPDIF In to Analog out -> Analog In to AES Out
That is the normal chain of an AD/DA converter and of course possible with the ADI-2 Pro, in both 2-channel and Multichannel mode.

2. AES In to AES Out. You change the Basic mode from AD/DA to Dig Thru, that's it. Or stay in AD/DA, change 'Dig Out Source' to 'Main Out', select 'AES In' as Source of Analog Out 1/2 and then have bit perfect through at 0 dB Volume, but can use Volume, EQ and anything else also if you want to...

Thank you very much, it looks like it meets all of my requirements then. I have already witnessed its performance and it really is a state of the art converter.

Since I am now torn between regular and anniversary model, I would like to ask whether Anniversary model differs only in cosmetics and limited run or does it offer even better performance?

Performance is identical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What about heat dissipation ? The Alu top would be better than plexiglas.

Thermal Conductivity:  Aluminium 236 vs Plexiglas 0,19 (according to Wikipedia).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13