1 (edited by drlazy 2017-06-20 15:35:17)

Topic: Best way to connect FF400 and FF UCX at the same time

Hi,

I have an old FF400 and a new FF UCX. I am looking for the best way to connect them at the same time so I can use all of their inputs.

I don't have a FireWire option in my laptop so I'm forced to connect the FF400 "through" the UCX. What are my options? ADAT or can I actually chain the FF400 to the FF UCX FireWire connector?

Edit: My laptop is a PC running Windows 10

Re: Best way to connect FF400 and FF UCX at the same time

What OS ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Windows 10

A DAW is only able to open one ASIO driver. Since those 2 units are supported by 2 different RME driver
you can't open one ASIO driver in i.e. Cubase and then run them both.

ASIO4ALL is a hack, I can't recommend to make use of this to connect them both,
as then it runs based on WDM and the Windows Mixer is in the signal path (not pure ASIO).

I remember somebody said on this forum that Steinberg itself has a trick with an additional driver or smth like this.

If I were you I would connect the FF400 via ADAT to the UCX.
You can connect both interfaces to your PC and then control the routing of both interfaces.
In FF400 route the wanted channels to ADAT OUT and connect it to ADAT in on the FF UCX.

In Cubase you would simply load the UCX driver and access I/Os from the FF400 via ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13