Topic: ADI-2 Pro with Volumio and RaspberryPi2

Hi all,

I am really enjoying RME ADI-2 Pro as music enthusiast from my PC but I would like to make a relatively mobile setup with Volumio (https://volumio.org/) as UPnP renderer on RaspberryPi 2 and use it independant from the PC.
Volumio installation was straight-forward but I am getting some jittering (clicks) during the playback. I tried both wired and wireless connectivity and multiple audio formats and sources - NAS, streaming from the mobile phone etc. I also have a dedicated Linux server for NAS and other server services.

How can I debug or what alternatives for RaspberryPi are there that definetely work?

Interestingly enough OTG connected Android phone works flawlessly but I would like an remote app-based setup. I did not like Roon as it produced a lot of garbage meta-data for my collection and mobile streaming to the mobile phone was jittery too.

2 (edited by bejoro 2017-06-21 06:44:55)

Re: ADI-2 Pro with Volumio and RaspberryPi2

On all RaspberryPIs the USB and LAN/WLAN share one port. So there are serious performance problems causing dropouts and clicks. It might work for 44/16 with LAN but with higher rates you will have definitely the mentioned effects eventually.

There are many many pages in different forums how to optimize the kernel parameters but nothing works really well.

I would recommend an Odroid C1 or C2. Volumio is also available for these ARM boards.

Re: ADI-2 Pro with Volumio and RaspberryPi2

Hello,

I have plans along the same lines. I had already heard about the problems with the USB output on the Raspberry, and when I looked for alternative solutions, it seems that the best is to use an add-on for the Raspberry that takes the digital signal directly from the I2S, and converts it to S/PDIF.

The Volumio ALLO DigiOne appears to be the solution for this.

At least as far as I understand... someone correct me if I am wrong.