Topic: My UFX effects and DuRec recording sound and look like this... fried?

My UFX effects and DuRec recording sound s like this:
http://www.markbragg.com/ufx/ufx-problem.wav

And look like this...
http://www.markbragg.com/ufx/ufx-problem.gif

Is something fried?

Re: My UFX effects and DuRec recording sound and look like this... fried?

Sorry off-topic: cool JPEG, which tool do you use to produce kind of a movie?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Bump? Any advice? Is my unit screwed?

What's the unit's firmware version? When did this first occur?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have this same exact issue, with same " .wav" in DuRec display and same sounding wav file. It started intermittently a few months ago and now DuRec does not work at all. I wish I could remember if a driver or firmware change caused it but I do not remember.

System: macOS 10.12.5 - MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
USB firmware: v357
USB drivers tried: 3.01, 2.20, 2.17, 2.18
DSP firmware tried: 1.61, 1.63, 1.59
Class-Compliant tried: 26, 28

I've tested with both usb and firewire, the behavior of DuRec is the same. Behavior is also the same when usb and firewire are unplugged from the UFX and operating from the LCD screen.

This unfortunately seems like a hardware issue... I'm hoping that maybe its just an internal cable that's come loose. I do tour with it so its definitely gotten bounced around. Any insight anyone could provide on either a hardware or software fix would be much appreciated. Has anybody else had this issue?

So I just found a way that seems to reliably fix the problem when it happens. Its not a very "good" solution and I still need to test it more but I've run through the procedure 5 times now and the results have been consistent. Here's what I've done when DuRec is functioning incorrectly as in the gif and wav file in the first post:
- disconnect the UFX from my computer.
- in the hardware/diagnosis menu on the ufx turn "CC Mode" from off to on (I usually run mine off)
- wait for the unit to restart and then switch "CC Mode" from on to off, wait for the unit to restart again.
- plug your hard drive in an wait for it to initialize.

After this point, I can see on the UFX display that its reading previous DuRec recordings, displaying their names correctly and I can successfully make new recordings this way. At this point if I plug the USB cable back in the the computer, DuRec continues to function correctly.

Cycling the power switch of the UFX will reverse the above outlined fix and cause the DuRec feature to operate as in the gif and wave file in the first post.

In regards to the procedure I outlined above, it seems that turning the CC Mode back off is not necessary. The fix works as long as the CC Mode has been changed it seems. Also, it doesn't seem necessary to remove the USB drive during the procedure.

I'm no hardware or firmware designer, but this seems to me like a bug in the firmware and not a hardware issue. Hopefully what I've outlined here will be able to be fixed with a firmware update. I'm happy to provide any additional details if it will potentially result in a bug fix.

Below is a screen shot of the firmware installed on my UFX. My driver for these tests is v2.17. TotalMixFX is v1.21. Computer hardware specs are the same as outlined in my previous post. I've tested this with a SansDisk Ultra USB 3 thumb drive and a WD my passport USB 2 HDD with no noticeable differences.
https://i.imgur.com/qKHUUKP.png

8 (edited by boz6906 2017-06-20 17:32:59)

Same here, just shows "0 tracks, 32 kHz .wav". started when I used FUT to update to:

"Fireface UFX: USB 357, DSP 163, FireWire 344, Class Compliant 28"

TMFX is 1.4

I haven't tried the work-around show above, rebooting the UFX seems to fix it.  But the UFX will only record about 1 hour, then drops out saying "USB Recording Stopped".  It won't restart without a reboot.

Well, unfortunately, my consistent results from my previous post are no longer consistent... After writing that I turned off my UFX and when I turned it back on this morning, my CC Mode switch fix no longer works. I've collected some additional details including a video of the DuRec behavior while running not connected to a computer, thus proving (to me at least) that this is at least not a driver issue, and is either a firmware or hardware issue.

Below are some additional details to hopefully narrow down the issue.
-  After discovering my fix no longer worked, I updated my driver to v3.01 and tried again, then downgraded back to v2.17, tried again, and upgraded once again back to v3.01.
- I also tried downgrading the DSP firmware to 1.61, which had no noticeable effect. I then upgraded back up to 1.63.
- Here's a link to a youtube video showing faulty DuRec operation while not connected to a computer. In the video I attempt my CC Mode fix and show it not working. I tried to show the "test results" field for each time I switched the mode or cycled power on the unit, as that seemed to change each time: https://youtu.be/kr2V29Tx4Ss
- Here's a gif and some screen shots showing the strange graphical behavior of DuRec in TotalMix FX. This is with the same firmware as the image in post #7, and driver v3.01, TotalMix FX v1.40 (I guess I cant have more than one link per post so I will post the gif after this post)

DuRec is a pretty critical feature for me and at this point, I'm just super curious as to whether this is a hardware or firmware issue, and if it's a hardware issue, get it repaired asap. It would not surprise me at all if the cable connection the front DuRec USB jack had come loose, but would rather not risk opening the unit up until I know for certain. For context, my unit is out of warranty and has had the power supply replaced twice, both times by Synthax, once within warranty and once last October outside of warranty.

Ben

Here's the previously mentioned gif of the strange graphical behavior of DuRec in TotalMix FX:
http://i.imgur.com/Qm5gtsj.gif

Also, here's an example of what the dropdown menu looks like. Each time its clicked the garbled text changes.
http://i.imgur.com/RvJ1tVjm.png

Thanks to all for all the details. The information provided so far points more to a hardware issue.

If this error shows up you have to check that EQ/DYN still work as expected. If not then an error of DSP/RAM is most probably the case and the unit needs repair.

Also please check the values that you find in the menu SETUP/REV, Options, Hardware/Diagnosis, Test Results. Turn encoder 2 to see all values and post them here in the correct order.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here are 4 different sets of test results I've had. I took these from the youtube video I made and linked above. Here's the link again for reference https://youtu.be/kr2V29Tx4Ss. All the test results recorded were without the UFX plugged in to a computer via USB or Firewire.

First is immediately after the firmware update from DSP 1.61 to 1.63: "135788", "FFFF", "FFFF", "18", "0", "216".

I then plugged a hard drive into the DuRec jack on the front panel and waited for DuRec to initialize and display some glitchy information about the ".wav" files. After I looked at the test results again which not read: "00000000.", "65280", "0Channels", "18", "0", "MSD".

I then switched the CC Mode from off to on, and then from on back to off and then checked the test results: "00000000.", "65280", "Channels", "18", "0", "MSD".

I then cycled the power on the UFX and checked the test results: "149938", "FFFF", "FFFF", "29", "0", "MSD"

There seemed to be some glitchy-ness to the test results display that rendered things like "0Channels" when I think it meant to just display "Channels". You can see in the youtube video at 1:26 what I mean.

As far as I can tell, from testing on one channel, all aspects of EQ/DYN work. Reverb and echo FX outputs on the other hand, produce full scale noise when activated.

Please let me know if you still think this is a hardware problem, given the above information, so I can get in contact with Synthax for a repair, if a repair is possible.

Mail sent.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is hard to believe we all have the same 'hardware' problem suddenly appearing simultaneously.

I'm hoping the new update may correct the issue, when can we expect new firmware/TMFX?

I know this is old- but my UFX screen is starting to act up and i use DuRec regularly and now i'm nervous...

Was this power supply issue?

i see there's a power supply for sale on RME parts store.

thanks in advance for any help

Do the test from post 12/13. FFFF should be 0000, otherwise hardware failure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks mathias-

i don't know what you mean "FFFF should be 0000"...

when i turn the "test results" knob i get-   0, 0000, 0000, 18, 0, 221

LCD losing contrast my only observed problem so far. LCD contrast setting does nothing to change screen.

This result means that your unit does not have a problem with DSP or RAM. If you want to change the display you need to send the unit in for service...or just wait for a real problem that makes the hassle worth it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by nylonoxygen 2018-11-29 08:26:57)

MC, I have been having this problem as well, my UFX is doing a lot of the same things as bforest's. And now DuRec isn't working at all. It started out about 6 months ago during a concert recording - I seemed to be recording noise and producing these 32kHz 0 channel audio files named ".wav" like bforest. I managed to get around the problem somehow and get my concert recorded successfully with DuRec. About a month later I did not have any luck with workarounds and had to end up using an external recorder. At that point, I believe I was still getting mostly intermittent digital noise. Now, it seems like DuRec is working and producing audio files at the correct bit rate and sample rate, and the channel count is correct based on my record settings, but the files contain no audio, the tracks that should have signal do not. The display still shows ".wav" after a file is finished recording.
Firmware:
USB: 359
DSP: 1.63
Firewire: 344
CC: 28

Driver: 3.10

Test result output is: 212787 FFFF FFFF 18 0 MSD

The 18 seems to change sometimes, but the other read outs seem to be consistent.
Seems like from your previous posts that this could be a hardware issue. Could you let me know what I can do to resolve the issue? Specifically how I would go about getting the UFX serviced? I've had the UFX for at least five years and it's definitely out of warranty.
Thanks Matthias.
JW

Yes, definitely hardware error which needs servicing. Please contact your local distributor for further information.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just got this same error with my UFX.   Really glad the error was exactly the same as everted else’s.  Hoping it’s a known fix and could be taken care of quickly.

23 (edited by buddhajuke 2022-03-08 12:10:28)

Gabaghoul wrote:

Hoping it’s a known fix and could be taken care of quickly.

Not sure where you are... I'm in Canada and this fix was prohibitively expensive. Thankfully DuRec was just a perk for me.

I did need reverb for headphone monitoring, so I grabbed a used unit at a thrift store for around $70. Did the trick.

Another consequence of this issue is that you can't store snapshots in the hardware, only in software.

Oh man.  I hope thats not the case for me being that I live 3 hours from the US distributor.  :-).

Interesting you had trouble with snapshots.  Whenever I try to load setups on the unit, it states that it is "Invalid!"  Wonder if that is a casualty of the DSP/RAM issue.

25 (edited by buddhajuke 2022-03-08 16:08:02)

Gabaghoul wrote:

Whenever I try to load setups on the unit, it states that it is "Invalid!"  Wonder if that is a casualty of the DSP/RAM issue.

I suspect it is. Mine does the same thing.

As an aside, I think mine was damaged in a power surge.

I might have had the same issue.  This will be the second time I had to send this unit in for service.  And I have always had it plugged into a pro surge protector/voltage regulator.  It seems like a very delicate product IMO.  I'm actually a little nervous to take it on location for a DURec session because of it.

27 (edited by lolo1988 2022-03-22 12:39:35)

May I ask you if those problems occur to the original UFX model, or to the UFX II or UFX+ ?

Intel i7, Windows 10, RME UFX+, Ferrofish Pulsar16MX