Topic: Does anyone use the Schiit Wyrd (USB Decrapifier)?

Hi,

Sorry for my bad English!

I'm thinking of using a Schiit Wyrd (USB Decrapifier) to clean the computer USB signal and also to power my Babyface Pro.

Does anyone use it or have you tried? What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance

Javier

BabyFace Pro, Win 10 LTSC 2021

Re: Does anyone use the Schiit Wyrd (USB Decrapifier)?

I don't think it will change anything when using it with a Babyface Pro. If you want to have a real difference you need to galvanically isolate the Babyface Pro from the computer. Currently there is only one product that can do so:

http://intona.eu/en/products

It's not cheap, but worth the price. And it does make a difference. Note that you need to power the Babyface Pro with an external power supply when using this isolator.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

... If you want to have a real difference...

That's the idea.

MC wrote:

It's not cheap, but worth the price. And it does make a difference. Note that you need to power the Babyface Pro with an external power supply when using this isolator.

.... Very grateful.

Best regards.

Javier

@Matthias
Would the original Babyface benefit from the Intona unit?

It always depends on your setup. As soon as unbalanced connections are involved the Intona will make a difference. Otherwise not. The best thing you can do is to use the BF with an external power supply, which a) cuts off the power supply via USB, and b) gives more stable and reliable operation. Which is basically true for all USB powered devices, although the new internal power supply in the Babyface Pro addresses this possible issue already perfectly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ramses 2017-06-05 09:44:44)

Would the intona also bring something for my setup with UFX+ via USB3 ?
What exactly ?
And did I understand right that the Intona is the superior product over the Schiit in any way?

I am using a "mehrfachsteckdose" with Surge Protection and HF filter in front of all devices (PC, Recording Interfaces)
and inside of the PC I use a very good power supply from Seasonic
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/sea … 74980.html

Anandtechs remark "probably the best PSU ever": http://www.anandtech.com/show/5464/seas … ies-860w/6

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Exactly nothing. Apart from that the Intona is USB 2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ramses 2017-06-05 09:49:00)

Hmm I overlooked USB2/3 ok wink

You mentioned, even with the BBF Pro and using its own PSU, the Inota would bring a difference for unbalanced connections.

How is it with UFX+ and unbalanced connections, so, does the UFX+ have circuits of its own to compensate all this ?
Or are there also boxes for USB3 that would be worth when having to deal with unbalanced connections ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is mainly about unbalanced ground loop issues. The UFX+ has its own ground (Schuko), so other than with the BF and BF Pro the UFX+ will either have less ground issues, or introduce another ground as loop issue. Hard to predict for any studio setup.

We are currently facing several upcoming releases of USB 3 isolators which I already tested one, two more on my list. The first one worked very good with full USB 3 compatibility, breaking the ground 'galvanically' for power and data. I can not recommend such devices per se, but they can help if you have ground loop related noise problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by ramses 2017-06-05 12:37:23)

Thanks for this explanation, luckily I have no issues in my setup so I don't need it then.

MC wrote:

It always depends on your setup. As soon as unbalanced connections are involved the Intona will make a difference. Otherwise not. The best thing you can do is to use the BF with an external power supply, which a) cuts off the power supply via USB, and b) gives more stable and reliable operation. Which is basically true for all USB powered devices, although the new internal power supply in the Babyface Pro addresses this possible issue already perfectly.

@Matthias - for the original Babyface, which power supply do you recommend to use with the Intona isolated?

The standard RME power supply (or any similar) will work fine. 12V DC, 1.5A or up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mathias,
Do the RME - NT RME2 lockable and the RME - NT RME2 have the same electrical characteristics?

Thanks

Javier

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks

Regards