Topic: Fireface 800: connect 2 DAC's via ADAT 1 & 2

Hi there,

I'd like to add additional D/A conversion to my fireface 800 via ADAT. Precisely, would like to connect 1 crane song DAC and 1 Mytek DAC via the ADAT connections to add 4 additional D/A channels.

Connecting 1 DAC via ADAT 1 works perfectly, but connecting both DAC's currently doesn't. The DAC connected via ADAT 2 does not sync. When connecting the 2nd DAC via the SPDIF out I'll get the same audio output on both DAC 1 (via ADAT 1) and DAC 2 (via SPDIF). However, what I'm trying to achieve is adding 4 independent channels.

Any clue on how to achieve this ?

Much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Toni

Re: Fireface 800: connect 2 DAC's via ADAT 1 & 2

If both dacs only support spdif (either electrical (called spdif) or optical (called toslink)) you are out of luck. The fireface has only one spdif output which is always electrical and you can send a copy of the electrical spdif to adat out 1 which then switches from adat to toslink, both will then carry the same signal as you noticed. The second adat is always adat and can not send spdif/toslink.
So if one of your dacs can not switch to adat it can not work, you will need an adat AD/DA.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Re: Fireface 800: connect 2 DAC's via ADAT 1 & 2

perfect help, many thanks !