Topic: Mic Input Monitoring Issue

Hi RME Users,

I'm new to RME and there's an issue I'm having a bit of trouble with. I've watched the RME youtube tutorials and even have the Groove3 TotalMix tutorial and reviewed the manual, but I think I'm still missing something. I hope someone can help.

My primary set up is:
1) RME UFX
2) iMac using Logic Pro 9
3) Three external keyboards (Kurzweil PC1x, Juno Stage, and Roland JV1010 module) going into my UFX (inputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 respectively)
4) Four vocal microphones going into RME inputs 9, 10, 11 & 12 (first going into preamps of Focusrite Liquid Channel, DBX 286s, Focusrite ISA One and RME UFX directly respectively).

While composing, along with my external keyboards, I often use Toontracks EZdrummer2 and Ivory2 Piano (both are virtual instruments and this is important for the reason that follows).

Finally, I have monitor speakers plugged into UFX outputs 1/2 and a headphone amp plugged into UFX outputs 3/4.

The Problem: When recording vocals I'd like to be able to raise or lower the level the singers hears of themselves when recording, as the singers requests.

If I've recorded a song using only the external (hardware) keyboards, it seems simple enough: RAISE the corresponding faders on the top row of TotalMix "Hardware Inputs" (Inputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 respectively), and then RAISE or LOWER the fader of the mic input as the vocalist requests, and then LOWER COMPLETELY the first fader of the second row of TotalMix (Software Output).

However, I often compose also using EZdrummer2 and Ivory Piano (virtual instruments) and in order to hear those tracks while I'm also recording the vocalists at the same time I have to RAISE the fader of the second row of TotalMix (software output).

That causes a doubling/stereo effect in the singers' headphones.

I've turned off/unchecked Input Monitoring in Logic, but I'm at a loss.

Is there a routing solution I'm missing? Any help is very appreciated.

Best,
Sam

Re: Mic Input Monitoring Issue

It's the input monitoring settings in your DAW, the I button on the track enables input monitoring.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.