1 (edited by Tobias T 2017-07-16 04:01:40)

Topic: Use Fireface UFX+ as MADI card for a mixing console

Hello,

I am using RME Micstasy and Octamic XTC (and an older Fireface UFX) as "stageboxes". The channels are transfered via MADI (optical)  to an RME Fireface UFX+, and the mixing is done in a Windows PC with RME Totalmix, connected to the Fireface UFX+ via USB.
Now I want to replace the Totalmix DSP with a real console, like Yamaha 01V96i or Allen & Heath Qu-16 or any other good fit which should work as my live audio mixer for video streaming (in the field) and as a DAW controller for Cubase (in the studio).

Is it possible to make use of the 16 or more audio channels from the stage which are available via MADI on the Fireface UFX+ and feed them into a mixing console? What do you recommend? Does USB work? 2 x ADAT? I do not want to buy an expensive MADI card for the mixing console (2 k€ for the 01V96i for example).

What would be a recommended setup then to transfer the MADI signal from stage to mixing console, given the existing RME equipment?

Thx
Tobias

2 (edited by ramses 2017-07-16 08:15:17)

Re: Use Fireface UFX+ as MADI card for a mixing console

The DAW can only use one ASIO driver from the UFX+.
So it can't access another ASIO driver from the Yamaha, so USB between PC and Mixer would not work.
Maybe with ASIO4ALL, but thats based on WASAPI and only mimicris ASIO, I would NOT use a "hack" like this.
So USB is not possible.

The Yamaha has only 1 ADAT I/O (IN and OUT) by this you can only transfer 8 not 16 channels @44.1/48
between UFX+ and the Yamaha. The Allen and Heath has no ADAT ports.

If digital i/o alone is not sufficient you could maybe use a mix of digital and analog i/o:
- Yamaha Mixer and use ADAT (1st 8 channels) and
- another 6-8 channels Analog I/O (UFX+) or by taking ADI 8 QS but this is also €2000

Doing all by analog i/o is a cabling challenge, so if possible I would stick to digital.

Maybe too pricy but to mention the basic concept:
- add 1-2 ADI 8 QS with MADI
- add M-16 oder M-32 AD and DA

Or if this is too expensive you need to look 3rd party to build this up based on analog ports using MADI.
Or maybe get Behringer full  digital mixer with MADI, maybe their price is lower.
Could maybe be worth a look, then you can save routings and everything digitally on UFX+ and the Mixer.

But I dont know the Behringer Mixer from handling perspective, there is a lot you need to evaluate, whether it fully fits your demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Tobias T 2017-07-17 22:03:21)

To re-phrase a bit (for RME):

- What is the preferred setup with a live mixing console in the field if you come with a MADI stream from the stage? Any common names for a semi-professional? Ideally, multi channel recording with the DAW should happen in parallel.
- What is the preferred setup if you like to do DAW controlling in the studio in addition to this live mixing and recording, with the same console? Any common names for the semi-professional?

Thx
Tobias

Sorry, I don't have such a setup, maybe RME can answer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13