Topic: ADI-2 Pro volume control over AES

Hey all, my Search of your forum hasn't provided any good answers yet -- maybe I'm searching the wrong terms? One of my customers is demoing an ADI-2 Pro this weekend, connecting via AES/EBU to his GENELEC 8260 monitors. The main issue he is having is that the volume knob doesn't seem to control the AES output. I just read through the manual, and can't determine where we've gone wrong. Help?

-- CJ

Re: ADI-2 Pro volume control over AES

You might not have the latest firmware 76 in that unit. The function is described in the latest manual on page 26, Dig Out Source.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, Mathias. The end user is updating the firmware now...we will report back.

4 (edited by soundwave 2017-07-19 13:44:57)

I also have Genelec 8330 digital speakers and I wonder how the volume should be set up the best way. I was under the impression, that digital speakers are fed '100% pure' digital signal with no volume corrections. Then the volume is set via the speaker software, in this case Genelec's GLM software.

Now, I can also change the volume via ADI-2 and AES digital out. Does this compromise the sound in any way? I don't fully obviously grasp the concept of digital signal volume control yet... smile

Chapter 34.20 of the latest manual. There is no reason to not use the ADI's volume control unless you don't need it because the Genelec's one is more handy or so...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Mathias! The answer I was looking for smile

Mathias, could you explain how digital music volume control is handled when connecting ADI-2 to digital speakers via AES? How is the volume information sent - in a separate metadata or just by dividing the outgoing samples?

The manual section you refered to argues well how ADI-2's digital volume control is better than an analog one, but it doesn't seem to answer my question, regarding where volume control is best done with Genelec DSP speakers.

I also use 8330 as well as 8260, and I recommend feeding full AES signal to the monitor and controlling volume via GLM. This is also recommended by Genelec support. Of course it is also possible to do it differently, but speaker performance will be best with full AES input.