Topic: RME UFX II Cubase 9 stutter

So I just purchased a UFX 2. Using a brand new win10 machine. All latest drivers.

Cubase 9.0.2

After 15-20 mins of use playback emits into stuttering audio. The sequencer bar stutters as well. Not really happy about this. Latency is average not very low. I know Cubase pretty well. I'm really out of ideas what to try.

Any suggestions?
thanks
Sascha

2 (edited by ramses 2017-07-25 08:01:42)

Re: RME UFX II Cubase 9 stutter

What Mainboard, CPU do you have, how many DRAM is installed.
Harddisk or SSD ? Which GPU ?

To which USB port is your UFX II connected ? Ports from Chipset or from separate NEC or ASmedia chips.
Did you try other cables and also on all other USB2 and also USB3 ports ?

Which latency do you mean ? Can you describe this more in detail.
Which ASIO buffersize do you use ?
What Latency does the RME driver report to the DAW.
Values similar to my UFX+ which uses the same RME MADIface driver ?
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1931-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-jpg/

Did you deactivate all about energy saving in the BIOS ?
See how I solved this with my board and what latencies inside of Windows can be avoided
(not to be mixed up with the fix Round Trip Latency by the ASIO driver).
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … -X10SRi-F/

Do you use in Windows the High Performance Energy Profile ?
Do you use in Cubase the Setting
Devices -> VST Audiosystem
( X )  Activate Modus for optimized Audio Performance from Steinberg (translated from German version)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

REPOST:     fiddler2007 wrote: My UFX and windows 7 64 ran perfect on my ASUS x99 with a VIA 1394a OCHI compliant firewire card. When i changed to Windows 10 64bit nothing but problems, occasionally recognized, more often not. Legacy drivers wouldn't work either, and i had to use USB. I was told a Texas Instruments PCIe card with both 1394a AND b (Firewire 800) should work, but these cards usually cost around $40. I then decided to exchange my UFX for an UFX ii, which works OK with windows 10, BUT not quite well with the motherboards' ASMedia USB chips. A PCIe USB 3.0 card i had with NEC (Renessas today) chips does.

UPDATE: after quite a while i had dropouts again, and shortly after they turned into the pulsating distorted sound i had before. After removing and  reinstalling all my PCs' USB drivers for the present hardware, BOTH ASmedia Root USB hub, and ASmedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller drivers, it worked again. The UFX ii however still was connected to another PCIe USB 3.0 port with a NEC chip (Renesas eXtensible Host Controller USB 3.0).

UPDATE 2: Updated my ATI graphics drivers, choosing the elementary version, removed Bitdefender 2017 Total security and it's firewall. Installed 360 TS and Zonealarm free ... and my problems now seem to be over. - F

Try to disable ASIO Guard in Cubase.

X99 board with NVidia card?

5 (edited by buzzfunk 2017-07-27 07:40:27)

Timur Born wrote:

Try to disable ASIO Guard in Cubase.

X99 board with NVidia card?

Yes and a 1070 NV card. Tried disabling the ASIO guard. No luck.

See post 2. If you want help pls be so kind to answer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

See post 2. If you want help pls be so kind to answer.

Working on it. need to gather all the info. wink appreciate it.

8 (edited by Timur Born 2017-07-27 08:49:18)

Try disabling (or enabling) xHCI Handoff in BIOS and try disabling mouse-pointer hardware-drawing acceleration by enabling "Mouse trails" in the Windows mouse settings. I don't expect this to be the issue, because usually these problems haunt you earlier than after 15 minutes. Still worth a try.

If both don't help then try to switch from the NVidia driver to the Microsoft default VGA driver via Device Manager. This is for testing.

9 (edited by bruno.haid 2020-02-22 20:50:30)

Hi all, bumping this thread as it seems closest to my issue, as described by OP: audio stuttering, both WDM and ASIO, no way to recover other than switching RME hardware off and on again. Sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours.

Lenovo P1 (not affected by Thunderbolt issues), UFX II, tried directly or via xcellon hub, either Thunderbolt or USB 3 connectors, issue keeps returning at what seems random points, the only correlated way to sometimes trigger it is by opening the Windows 10 search box by pressing the windows key.

Tried:
- Removing/reinstalling all drivers, including all USB devices
- Disable all USB related power management options
- Reinstalling all RME drivers and tools
- BIOS and graphics settings (including nvidia specific and minor ones like mouse trails)

Any and all pointers incredibly appreciated, really looking forward to get production going but this is incredibly frustrating... Thanks!

You checked with Latency Mon what happens when you do that - opening the search box?

Are USB errors shown in the Settings dialog when audio stutters?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by bruno.haid 2020-02-25 18:38:03)

Thanks Matthias! Error is the dreaded Fifo Error after USB counting up.

I'll get deeper into Latency Mon (thanks for the recommendation!), right now most seems pretty tame in the light to darker greens, and haven't been able to trigger a stutter-on-search occurrence. Surprised that the EuControl driver is more draining than the Nvidia Quadro or storage. My current hunch is that between the GPU, the Thunderbolt Sandisk Pro and USB accessories the PCI bus itself might get exhausted.

EDIT, here the two Latency Monitor lists pre-crash:

https://i.ibb.co/xsWxRHr/Lat-Mon-drivers.png

Is there any magic RME could work to recover more gracefully? Brief crackle and then back to normal without hardware reset needed?

12 (edited by bruno.haid 2020-02-25 18:39:10)

https://i.ibb.co/9c721Bp/Lat-Mon-processes.png