Re: TotalMix FX for iPad app available in the Apple App Store

It's not the app. This function requires a complicated firmware update for the 802.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

52 (edited by goatofneptune 2016-07-24 13:43:40)

Hi there,
I just got my ufx two days ago, so this is kind of a noob question:
As I understand, the iPad-Version of Totalmix requires a USB-Connection from the ipad to the ufx. Im using it in the studio with my mac always connected to the ufx. Is there any solution to use the ipad as a wireless remote control of Totamix running on the pc? Do I have to use lemur or touch osc, or will there be an update for the totalmix-App to do that? What would you recomend?

as the arc remote is not available anymore, will the arc+ be usable with the ufx, at least over an pc? Or wont they work together at all?

Cheers

Look here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 72#p112572

Hi Timur,
thanks for the tip. Remote Desktop is a workaround, but it is a bit sloppy in general. A direct connection to the Totalmix-Desktop Software would be snappier, wouldnt it?

Cheers

On the MADIface Pro, can TotalMix for iPad control the full 68x68 mixing matrix?

I know the iPad can only record 24 channels, but I only want to mix (not record).

Thanks!

Sure!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, how do I even get this app working?  I haven't found any documentation on how to actually connect the iPad to the UFX.  I'm using an official Apple Thunderbolt to USB adapter with a USB cable connected to the UFX and the app still shows "Fireface UFX disconnected".  Under settings -> RME Interface Settings, "Fireface Demo" is stuck there and there is no way to actually tell it that something else is connected.  The same thing happens when I plug the iPad into my computer instead of directly into the interface. 

The "Quick Start" doesn't even mention "hey, you'll need to do the following to get the app to work..." and just assumes that you're supposed to know what else to buy, what to do and that everything is working as intended.  Where is the "Quick Start" that actually explains how to start using the app?

All current manuals include an extra CC chapter with all the details - true also for the UFX. Found on our website under Downloads, Manuals.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

All current manuals include an extra CC chapter with all the details - true also for the UFX. Found on our website under Downloads, Manuals.

Put it in the iPad app.

Will TotalMix FX for iPad support the Digiface USB ?

(I'm super excited about the Digiface USB, it's absolutely perfect!)

The DF USB does not work stand-alone and not as Class Compliant interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I cannot get my iPad Pro with Total Mix app to recognise my RME UFX. i updated to the latest drivers and software. Get a message that my interface is nor recognised. What could be the source of the is problem? Also, how is the UFX put into class compliant mode as mentioned at the beginning of this post?
Cheers,
Antony

I read the extra chapter and put the UFX in class compliant mode. This stuff should be mentioned at the beginning  of the explanation about how to use the app. This is part of the set up process and should appear first

Possible or not?

ARC USB with UCX/UFX over active USB Hub with iPad?

No way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Schade wink

Version 1.50 of TM FX for iPad is available now in the App Store. These are the changes with a bit of explanation:

- Removed 1 finger swipe, added 2 finger swipe as default.

The GUI has multiple elements to operate it without swiping (direct choice of viewing Input/Playback/Output row, vertical sliders below the three channel rows, Zoom in/out). In case horizontal and vertical swiping of the channel rows is desired this option activates 2-finger swiping. In contrast to 1-finger swiping it reliably prevents unintentional changes of buttons, knobs and faders. This works so tremendously well and safe that we decided to remove the 1 finger scrolling completely.

Note that the less critical Control Strip can be swiped vertically (with 2 fingers) even when this option is turned off.

And even the FX panel can now be hidden by (2 finger) swiping.

Taken over from the current TotalMix Remote app were several features, and a lot of code optimizations plus small fixes.

- Added vertical scrolling to the Control Strip (2 fingers)

- Option to activate Exclusive Solo/PFL mode. This feature puts the iPad app ahead of the desktop TM FX. Exclusive Solo/PFL means that when you tap on a Solo button the formly activated one will be switched off automatically. Mostly used with PFL, and to switch off the last one tapped simply tap it again.

What makes this new feature quite outstanding is that it works perfectly together with the Solo groups. You can have Solo groups and acitvate them with the buttons 1 to 4 even in Exclusive mode. At the same time you can add more Solo channels, which will all be treated as one expects with Exclusive mode.

Changed/improved:

- In 2-Row mode the divider between Input and Playback row is no longer moved when opening the FX panel

- Fader path is no longer used for fader movement, grab the fader button instead. This is another change to increase saftey and reliability when using the iPad app.

- Icons and start picture updated

- Audio engine uses Apple's latest API. What audio engine? The one that is used to set the sample rate and the amount of I/O channels (via Enable Background Mode).

Fixes:

- ADAT/SPDIF output setting for the Babyface Pro

- Various fixes and optimizations

Have fun!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am using rme fireface uc with my old mac. I have now replaced my mac with ipad pro 12,9. Yesterday learned that total mix fx does not support uc. Can you make the uc to work with ipad as well? Uc is very popular in Finland and i am sure that i am not the onelyone asking for this.

Can you make it happen?

The Fireface UC does not support Class Compliant mode, and that will not change, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Little bug: When using the Dim button in TotalMixFX for iPad, then the LED indication at the unit is inverted. (Only the LED, the audio Dim works)

This is Firmware 225 on Babyface. App version 1.50

Hello Matthias,

unfortunately i missed one quite improtant point in your previous explanations,
MIDI/OSC remote control is not supported in the Totalmix FX App for iPad.

I was planning to use my UCX for a Live setup. All the analog synth instruments
into the UCX, UCX connected to iPad Pro 11inch, mixing in the Totalmix App on
the iPad without a Notebook computer, just the iPad.

This is already working very well, but Totalmix is apparently not Multitouch functional,
which makes it sort of necessary to use Lemur.

I guess you see the problem. I can´t connect Lemur with Totalmix on the iPad…
Nor any MIDI controller that would allow to push two faders at the same time.

I hope i didn´t miss any other thread in the forum about this problem.

Most important question is, if RME is planning to implement MIDI/OSC remote
control for the Totalmix FX iPad App. Seems to me that it wouldn´t be a big deal
in terms of coding, but what do i know.

Or am i missing any workaround or a different kind of connection to control
Totalmix with Multitouch on the iPad?

I would be very thankful for any advice. For now i am testing to play my sessions
without Multitouch and using the snapshots in Totalmix, maybe it will work.
But it would be a great thing to use Lemur with all it´s possibillities, individual
layouts, the Multitouch function and so on.

I can still return the iPad, until January 13th.
So it would be great to know about any plans and if in the future, OSC/MIDI control on
Totalmix FX for iPad should be available.

Thanks a lot!
Michal

There are no plans to get OSC/MIDI control for the iPad app. But support for the TM FX Remote app might come in 2020. Regarding multi-touch, so far everything we tried was unsatisfactory and caused a lot of problems and wrong reactions. Lemur has a much simpler gui/interface, there it is much easier to implement multitouch for the faders.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the quick answer!

I don´t believe this idea would work out, but just to be sure. Would it be possible to run the Remote App and the Totalmix FX App both on the same device, on the iPad? Means: Lemur controlling TM FX Remote App controlling TM FX iPad App, all on the iPad

I don´t expect the TM FX iPad App to become multitouch, i think too that Lemur would be the better solution.

So i don´t understand the limitation, the missing of OSC/MIDI control for the iPad App.
With the audio processing done in the UCX, it seemed to me being almost "logical" to get rid of the Notebook on stage this
way and just have the quite powerful iPad running all of it. Or am i missing out any possible downfalls of such a setup?

Also i am wondering if there are or why there are not more people having the same issue.
In other words, is RME not planning to make OSC/MIDI control for the TM FX iPad App because of technical reasons?
Or is it because nobody is asking for it?

Thank you,
Michal

The iPad is seen and used as direct (touch) controlling device. No need or wish to have another controller in front of it. And no, Remote and normal app will definitely not work in parallel, as they also don't do on the desktops. There is some internal MIDI issue which prevents a simple adding of any MIDI I/O service within the normal app, AFAIR.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

An external controller is not the point, just the connection of Lemur to TM FX iPad App on the iPad itself.
And if there are plans to make OSC/MIDI control on the Remote App, why not on the iPad App as well?

Thanks for the info anyway.
Wish you a "guten Rutsch"!
Michal

TotalMix FX for iphone app available in the Apple App Store
Can it be realized in the future??
I like iphone

Just a "fyi:" I think/hope.

With Apple IOS Beta 14.2 latest - TotalMix FX often crashes connected to RME Ufx in CC mode using official Apple USB-C to USB adaptor. Happens on iPad Pro 12.9 and iPad Pro 11 Gen 1

kaz911 wrote:

With Apple IOS Beta 14.2 latest - TotalMix FX often crashes connected to RME Ufx in CC mode using official Apple USB-C to USB adaptor. Happens on iPad Pro 12.9 and iPad Pro 11 Gen 1

Same here with the official 14.2 from these days... hmmm..

- Anyone elese ?
- Any solutions ?

cyclcyc wrote:
kaz911 wrote:

Same here with the official 14.2 from these days... hmmm..

- Anyone elese ?
- Any solutions ?

That’s a real pain in the backside. I guess I won’t be updating to 14.2 yet.

We were able to reproduce this problem and are examining it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

kaz911 wrote:

Same here, and problems with Cubasis3 multiout, i really don’t know if there’s any relationship between the two things.

MC wrote:

We were able to reproduce this problem and are examining it.

Good morning, any chance to have some kind of a bug fix?
Regardes Mark

Also experiencing this crash on iOS 14.2.

Looking at crash logs it appears to be a fault inside CoreMIDI. As an app developer myself I'm very familiar with this scenario. Through no fault of RME the TotalMix app has become unusable due to a bug introduced by Apple.

A quick search for "ios 14.2 midi issue" will show other apps in the same boat.

Reports suggest the midi bug is fixed in iOS 14.3 which has been in beta for a few weeks now.
http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/

Apple never commits to release dates for iOS updates, but you can always sign up for the beta program (free) to get an early copy installed on your iPad.
https://beta.apple.com/

(with the usual associated risks of beta software)

Ok I just signed up to the beta program and installed "iPadOS 14.3 Public Beta 2" and the TotalMix app is running fine again.

I would guess iOS 14.3 is released officially by the end of the year.

-Paul

Thanks for reporting this, Paul!

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

We didn't want our customers to wait for Apple's fix so added a workaround for that MIDI-based crash in 14.2. TotalMix FX for iPad 1.70 and TotalMix Remote 1.20 have just been published on the App Store.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We didn't want our customers to wait for Apple's fix so added a workaround for that MIDI-based crash in 14.2. TotalMix FX for iPad 1.70 and TotalMix Remote 1.20 have just been published on the App Store.

Hi, I just logged in here to say thank you.
The app is finally not crashing anymore on the iPad Pro with 14.2
I haven’t been able to use it for a couple of weeks, so I am happy again now.
Cheers!

https://recordfactory.org
https://youtube.com/c/eurikon

Will there ever be reverb/delay support for the Babyface Pro on TotalMix for iPad?

Today I bought the Totalmix FX for iPad with since I read in the App Store that it is compatible with Babyface and does not connect with the audio interface. I have seen some message in the forum commenting that it is not supported. Is there a way that works or have I thrown the money in the trash?

gondav wrote:

Today I bought the Totalmix FX for iPad with since I read in the App Store that it is compatible with Babyface and does not connect with the audio interface. I have seen some message in the forum commenting that it is not supported. Is there a way that works or have I thrown the money in the trash?

Just checking but you are trying to run your bf on an iPad and want to use TotalMix FX with it? And not running on a pc/Mac and just want to control remotely which you can do with the TotalMix remote app.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

91 (edited by hardyroede 2021-07-07 10:55:54)

If you want to use the Babyface as an interface on iPad, please check if you have put the interface in Class Compliant mode (hold down both buttons SELECT and DIM while powering on / plugging USB cable in, the display LEDs must light up as „C C“). Repeating the procedure toggles to „P C“ which is the default mode for using the Babyface on PC and Mac.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

Let's talk about combining the iPad app and ARC remote.

I'm quite happy with TotalMix FX running on an iPad. In order to do that my Fireface UFX+ is set to Class Compliant mode, so I need no computer. To be clear, I'm not talking about the remote app.
I'm wondering if I can use also in parallel the ARC USB remote to control the Fireface. It would be nice switching the Layout via remote and the app is updated immediately. Is my assumption correct? I new read something about the combination of app and remote, so that's why I'm bothering you. :-)

Alexander Berlin wrote:

I'm wondering if I can use also in parallel the ARC USB remote to control the Fireface.

If you have one of the latest iPads with USB C port, using ARC USB with Totalmix FX is a no-brainer: all you need is any standard USB C hub with at least two USB-A ports: one for the Fireface, one for the ARC. Works 100% as on PC/Mac.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

And with powered hubs it also works that way via Lightning USB adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

95 (edited by kd 2022-08-26 14:20:25)

das ist nicht euer Ernst...  wegen 3,99€  muss Ich Kontodaten beim nächsten Anbieter offenlegen ?..
Richtet doch eine Spendhotline ein...ich gebe Euch das Geld gerne, aber nicht über Apple ... Ja es gibt noch Menschen, denen das wichtig ist..   o(

Diese Kritik ist ehrlich gemeint, denn einer meiner Gründe Kauf UFX+ war genau das, so wenig wie möglich persönliche Daten an andere Anbieter ..
Zum Glück kann ich das IPad noch fürn Kemper verwenden, sonst hätte icht das teil zurückgegeben..
Ehrlich, solche Dinge regen mich auf..
Remote funktioniert, da 3,99 hätte ich noch verstehen können... aber die App zum treiber, das nicht ..

Ich wollte einfach eine Idee speichern , und dann 3 Stunden IT Kommerz...mehr als ärgerlich ..
Ok, habe Lösung gefunden über diese Guthaben Karten, aber es ist wirklich ärgerlich am Ende ....
Mir ist klar, Ihr habt viel Arbeit, aber 3,99 ergibt bei mir keinerlei Sinn ..
Ok geklärt, schönen Tag noch..

MC wrote:

And with powered hubs it also works that way via Lightning USB adapter.

A late thank you for the answer. :-)

Speaking about the ARC Remote, maybe it is also possible to connect a hardware controller like the ones from Icon Pro Audio (Qcon series for example). I am not clear how the remote communicates with the ipad app (Mackie Control, HUI Protocol, OSC).

It would be a dream to control the interface via a hardware controller without using a computer, but only with an iPad.

The ARC USB uses SysEx MIDI. But the point is that TM FX for iPad does not support general MIDI I/Os (no available MIDI I/O ports) and also does not include support for the mentioned controllers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The ARC USB uses SysEx MIDI. But the point is that TM FX for iPad does not support general MIDI I/Os (no available MIDI I/O ports) and also does not include support for the mentioned controllers.

Many thanks for the detailed answer and explanation.

I Run TotalMix FX on my iPad and either I run My DAW, I want to use a second old iPad for TotalMix Remote its that possible?

kuryaky wrote:

I Run TotalMix FX on my iPad and either I run My DAW, I want to use a second old iPad for TotalMix Remote its that possible?

Unclear what you exactly mean. I aussume:
If you plugin your Interface to an iPad - it is in CC Mode...
So that should be the reason that TMFX on iPad does not have any MIDI, OSC nor Network Remote Settings.
It is described in the Limitations - Section of the Help in TMFX-iPad app.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard