Topic: Problems in Protools 12 with the ADAT of my Firewire 400 (on W7)

Hello,

I've been trying to solve a problem for quite some time now with the ADAT connection of my Fireface 400. I have 6 different synths-drumboxes, MIDI synchronized with a MOTU MIDI Express XT and cabled to the 16 analog inputs of the Fireface and an Octopre MKII preamp from Focurite (digitally connected to the FF400). In stand alone mode (= only using Totalmix) everything works perfectly. But wether I choose the "all channels" option or the "analog" option in the settings of the FF400, all the inputs are still available and fonctionning. Only the ADAT outputs disappear in Totalmix in the "analog" mode. Firstly, is that normal ? I can't remember and I'm not sure of the response found in the last manual of the Fireface...
Secondly, I can only be in "analog" mode in Pro Tools (everything's ok in that mode). But if I change the settings to "all channels", restart the computer and open Pro Tools, firewire errors appear at the launch of PT in the settings dialog box of the FF400 and the sequencer will close, crash or turn forever without opening a session... I don't understand why... The ADAT led on the frontpanel of the FF400 is continuously green, ADAT input status indicates "Sync" in the settings dialog. The Octopre is at the good sample rate, receives Wordclock and is locked. I had been using the two of them for 4 or 5 years without any problem before now...

I've already tried a few things : change the buffer size of the FF400, change the firewire  connection (Texas Instrument) by installing a new bracket (I haven't changed the ADAT and firewire cables yet, they are still those delivered with the soundcard), check the settings in PT, check for updates...
I'm getting a bit confused now and don't know where to look anymore. Needless to say any help would be very much appreciated !! 

Here's my configuration for those who have the time to answer :

* RME Fireface 400 : driver date : 15.12.16 ; driver version : 3.122 ; hardware revision : 1.71 ; Totalmix version : 1.40 ; MMCSS for Asio enabled.
Buffer size : 256 samples
Word : single speed
Optical : ADAT
SPDIF : Consumer (no Emphasis)
SPDIF input (unused): coaxial (no TMS)
WDM Devices : 1
Sample rate : 48kHz
Clock source : Internal
Pitch : 0%
Input status : for Word+SPDIF+LTC= No Lock ; for ADAT=Sync

* Focusrite Octopre MKII : Sample rate=48kHz ; Wordclock : received ; Locked (with the RME FF400)

* MOTU MIDI Express XT

* Pro Tools : 12.8.0 (I already had the problem in PT11)

* Computer :
Windows 7 64 bits Integral SP-1
Motherboard : Gigabyte H67A-UD3H-B3
RAM : 20 Go
CPU : I5 2500K @ 3,30 GHz
HDD : 1 SSD 238 GB for the system + 2 WD 1 To
Firewire bracket : compatible OHCI 1394 Texas Instruments.

Thanks in advance for your answers !
S23.

Re: Problems in Protools 12 with the ADAT of my Firewire 400 (on W7)

The bandwidth limit settings only affect software record and playback, not the hardware I/Os of TotalMix access.

For the crash: Check the power supply of the FF400 and the position of the power switch on the back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello MC and thanks for the quick answer !

The power supply looks fine and the switch at the back of the FF400 is on "external" position...

What does 'looks fine' mean? Did you measure? If you can not measure please try a different, similar power supply. We have seen some of these dying slowly...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias,

Sorry for the late reply... I can't make measurements at home so I've bought a new power supply (the one used with the MADIface XT : primary=100-240V/0,58A ; secondary=12V/2A) and I still have the same problem... Any other clues ?

So the main problem is the performance of the FireWire data transmission. Getting errors with all channels is not ok. The FW cable might be bad and you should try a different one, but also the FW chip used in the computer could be buggy, and even the choice of FW driver sometimes makes a difference.

The manual includes some tips, and this forum has many threads to research this problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thank you !

Hello again !

So I've tried new FW AND optical cables, the problem remains. And just to remember how it was before I buy my current FW bracket, I've reconnected the soundcard to the main FW port of my motherboard : the FF400 is not recognized at all. So yes the FW chip on my Gigabyte board has past away...
I hope the problem comes from my PCIe FW bracket. It's a ST Labs F261 IEEE1394a (TI) (2P+1P), with the following specifications :
Chipset:Texas Instruments XIO22313AZHH
Bus Interface:PCI-Express X1
Features:
* Compliant with PCI Express Base Specification 1.0a
* Compliant with IEEE 1394-1995, 1394a-2000 and OHCI 1.1 Standards
* PCI Express 1-lane(x1) FireWire adapters works with PCI Express slots with different lane width
* Installs in any available PCI Express slot and supports data transfer rates up to 400Mbps
* Two external and One internal 6-pin FireWire(1394a) ports to support DV camcorders,
   hard disk, removable drives, scanner, digital cameras and other FireWire audio/video devices
* Onboard power connector to provide reliable source
OS Support:Windows® 2000/XP/Server 2003/Vista 32/64 bit
Connectors:2 x external & 1 x internal IEEE 1394a connectors
System Requirements:
* Windows® 2000/XP/Server 2003/Vista (also W7 and 8)
* PCI Express-enabled system with an available PCI Express slot

Would the Syba SY-PEX30016 3 Port Firewire 1394B & 1394A PCIe 1.1 x1 Card TI XIO2213B Chipset  be a good choice for my PC configuration ? Or maybe my current FW bracket is already reliable and the answer is elsewhere (I hope not!!!!) ?

Or maybe this one ?
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html