Topic: Reliable DAW for location recording

I've been using PT 12 on Mac for location recording the last couple months.   It has been very unreliable and has crashed in so many different ways.  So glad I have DUREC!

I need a solid Mac based app that will allow me to track 8 to 24 tracks from my UFX+.

All I want is an app that will record reliably on long takes, and good efficient mixer for monitor mix at the session.

I do not need great automation or editing.   We have that in the studio on our Pyramix systems.

Considering Cuebase or Studio One.   Any other suggestions? Comments?

BTW, I own PT 9 which has been pretty reliable, but I've let my subscription to PT 12 lapse owing to the many bugs when recording multiple or long takes. 

Re: Reliable DAW for location recording

Out of the gut .. Reaper.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Reaper has never been on my radar screen.   I'll check it out.
Thanks

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=97280

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have cubase 9… reaper 5.. studio one 3.5..
Each has their own strength... I would say for reliability for on location recording of long sessions reaper wins.

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

An often overlooked tool, not suitable in this case, for location recording, is BoomRecorder:

http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

Doesn't do mixing. Playback of current session only, cause it doesn't even open files.

But there's a ton of other things it does very well. Like metering. Customizable. It's much more lightweight than any DAW, even REAPER.

BoomRecorder lite (2 channel recording) is 14.99$. BoomRecorder Pro (up to 256 channels (255 +timecode)) costs 249.99$ on the appstore. Yes, it's Mac only.

I use an older (pre appstore) version that's up to 128 channels and it is rock solid. Does administration too. I don't know another tool like it, tbh.

Demo version downloadable from the site.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

ive never used it but there is also waves software designed for live capture
http://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/track … racks-live

also just wondering if you are aware that you could also just use RME digicheck Global record which would capture into your laptop and allow basic playback

a definite thumbs up for Reaper though.. its free to try too

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

I've been looking at Boom Recorder as a backup.  I have colleagues who use BR for that purpose. But now that I have the UFX+, Durec is an easier and safer option, and I don't have to bring a second laptop on location.

I'll check out Reaper and also Cuebase demos.

Random access playback and a decent mixer are important features.

Since you're already using Pyramix at "home", why not just use Pyramix Native on your Mac with Bootcamp (for Windows)? I've been doing this for over a decade, and it's rock solid, plus it gives me the convenience of simply transferring my Pyramix Project to my "home" machine, with all recorded material intact. Plus, recording with Pyramix's .pmf format is much easier on the recording hard disk(s), since that format is block based, rather than sample based. Pyramix has its own Backup recorder function, and if you use Durec as well, that gives you a backup for your backup - you can never have enough backups when you really need one...

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

fl wrote:

Since you're already using Pyramix at "home", why not just use Pyramix Native on your Mac with Bootcamp (for Windows)? ...

Biggest reason is the cost of Pyramix native.  That said, I very much like session recording in Pyramix. It's very reliable and efficient.
And yes, .pmf recording is very efficient, but that rarely matters for 10 or fewer tracks, especially as we move into SSD devices.