Topic: Royer Labs mics and RME Fireface UFX II

Hello and greetings to all,

First time here, I have one question, I want to buy microphone Royer labs ribbon SF-12, I don`t want to go with mic preamp, instead of preamp I want to buy Fireface UFX II. Is there any compatibility issue ? Is there enough gain for ribbon without phantom power ? Does anybody have something similar, I need that for demo audio recording setup for acoustic piano in my home. Thank you.

Re: Royer Labs mics and RME Fireface UFX II

There is no reason that shouldn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your answer, I suppose it will work. I have dilemma about preamp, but for my needs right now quality audio interface with preamps is more then enough. As I see RME has rock solid drivers and quality so it is my choice for audio interface. With Royer sf-12 I think it will be excellent at least.

Don't worry.

RME's preamps are surgical. Clean. So any color that needs to be added, can still be added.

And the digital gain is a godsend. 42 dB of gain is exactly 42 dB, every time. No fiddling with a knob. Set and go.

The routing in TotalMix is extremely flexible. Saves at least one patchbay and a bunch of patch cables.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thanks Cyrano, can`t wait to explore everything about it

I'd also assume the onboard preamps will have enough gain.  Unless you are far-field mic'ing with those passive ribbons, you should be fine.

And if you do feel you need an extra 20-24dB of clean gain, something like the Cloudlifter CL2 would fit the bill and not break the bank.  Of course a nice Jensen Twin Servo or other boutique standalone preamp with 70+ dB of gain would be sweet too - but $,$$$.

The performance, the instrument, the room, and mics (plus mic technique) will have FAR more impact than preamp choice, hands down...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks Randyman for pointing to Jensen Twin Servo, looks powerful, maybe someday smile