1 (edited by bejoro 2017-05-14 14:22:11)

Topic: ADI-2 PRO - Clock - USB + SPDIF in parallel

Sorry, if this is a stupid question but I am not able to figure it out.

If I connect an optical SPDIF source with 44.1/16 (CD player) by default the ADI-2 PRO uses the SPDIFin as clock source. I would like to use the precise internal clock so I changed to INT instead of Auto. Everything works fine.

Device mode: AD/DA

I connected my Linux client via USB and the playback stopped. The sample rate showed 768kHz. If I start playback via USB the sample rate changes. If I change to device mode USB I hear the music from my Linux client.

If I change back to AD/DA no playback.

As long as USB is connected I am not able to get SPDIFin working again.

I have to disconnect USB and manually change the sample rate to 44.1 to get my playback back from the CD player.

Is it possible to use SPDIFin and USB parallel for playback an switch between them?

Re: ADI-2 PRO - Clock - USB + SPDIF in parallel

> If I connect an optical SPDIF source with 44.1/16 (CD player) by default the ADI-2 PRO uses the SPDIFin as clock source. I would like to use the precise internal clock so I changed to INT instead of Auto. Everything works fine.

Really? Are you aware that you hear everything via the Sample Rate Converter then? Not sure that is what you want...

> If I change back to AD/DA no playback.

Because the sample rate changed to a value that the SRC can no longer address (> 192 kHz). You have to manually change the SR back at the unit. It's easier to switch off the SRC and use the SPDIF input as clock source - then this will happen automatically.

Otherwise: What you need to do is described in the latest manual on page 86.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by bejoro 2017-05-14 16:57:56)

Maybe I have not understood the clock logic. Please enlighten me.

I want the same precise Steadyclock III reclocking with SPDIFin as I have it over USB. So I assumed I have to select INT as clock source.

And I would like to connect USB parallel with SPDIFin and switch between them.

As soon as I connect USB I never get SPDIFin working again.

As soon as I disconnect USB, SPDIFin works again.

No matter what clock source I have selected.

SRC is off.

Page 86 did not help.

How do I achieve that?

Edit: USB defines the sample rate even if device mode AD/DA had been selected. If USB sample rate is the same as SPDIFin it works. If the USB sample rate is different it does not work.

SteadyClock is always active, no matter if you use the internal clock or an external one.

Your statement about using the 'internal' clock even if you connect an external CD player - this doesn't work. It's a principle of digital audio that units must be 'slaved'. The CD player is only clocked internally (master), so whatever unit you connect it to MUST be slave (also explained in the manual, chapter 34.1). So you have to change the clock from Internal to SPDIF (SETUP - Options - Clock). Or use the SRC.

And page 86 explains how to switch between SPDIF In with external clock and USB with internal clock setting by using two Setups and two keys only.

> Edit: USB defines the sample rate even if device mode AD/DA had been selected.

With SPDIF selected as input clock the sample rate of the unit changes to the matching multiple of the current sample rate range (single, double, quad...). For example with CD it would change from 192 to 176.4 kHz. This is a standard method from our other multichannel interfaces to avoid complete havoc due to changing numbers of channels. Give me some time to find out if this makes sense for the ADI-2 Pro as well (we discussed this long ago, but the unit changed so much...). If not we might change that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.

Ragarding clock source,  I have understood. I have also read the Steadyclock part in the manual. It is clear now.

If I turn off the SRC, USB connected with e.g. 96 kHz and CD player connected to SPo and selected, clock source SPo, I will not get any audio, because the overall factor is 2 and SRC disabled (samlle rate shows 88.2 in red). Correct?

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hallo Herr Carstens,

im Handbuch behauptet man auf der Seite 66 folgendes:

In obigem Beispiel kann der CD-Player nicht im Modus Slave arbeiten, er wird immer seine
interne Clock nutzen (Master). Dafür gibt es zwei Lösungen:
• Das Setzen der der Clock Source des ADI-2 Pro auf SPDIF. Der ADI-2 Pro folgt nun exakt
der externen Clock des Eingangssignals, der State Overview wird dem SPDIF-Eingang ein
stabiles sync attestieren.
• Das Aufschalten des SRC (Sample Rate Converters) auf den SPDIF In. Der SRC entkoppelt
die Clocks, so dass der ADI-2 Pro weiter seine interne nutzen kann. In diesem Fall wird State
Overview sowohl sync beim SPDIF-Eingang, als auch SRC SPDIF anzeigen.

Es stimmt aber nicht. Ich benutze nur SPDIF Op Eingang, und bei aktivem SRC (SPDIF In) zeigt bei mir State Overviewe LOCK, was mMn. richtig ist, weil es der folgenden Behauptung auf der Seite 30 entspricht:

Bei aktivem
SRC zeigt der entsprechende Eingang immer lock, nicht sync, weil die Phasenbeziehung der
externen und internen Clock keine Rolle mehr spielt.

Ich wuerde sagen, dass sich diese zwei Behauptungen widersprechen
Irre ich mich?

SYNC erscheint nur dann, wenn SRC aus ist, oder...?

Gruss

Marek

Korrekt, werde ich im Handbuch ändern - danke.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Guten Tag and hello mitenand

FYI: ADI-2 PRO mit der letzten Firmware (0.81)
Ich möchte sowohl analoge als auch digitale Quellen via ADI-2 PRO mittels USB auf den Rechner kriegen, dort einen CONVOLVER (z.B. via JRiver) betreibe und dann via USB zurück auf den ADI-2 PRO und von dort auf die Vorstufe.

Vielleicht anders ausgedrückt: Ich möchte erreichen, dass ich im USB-Betrieb bin und trotzdem SPDIF vom externen CD-Spieler einschleifen kann. Momentan zeigt es mir zwar ein Signal vom SPDIF am Meter an, aber ich höre nix.

Wie schaffe ich das? Danke und Grüsse
Dan

Haben Sie das Gerät in den Multichannel Mode geschaltet? Und in der Aufnahmesoftware die Kanäle SPDIF ausgewählt?

Das Abhören des SPDIF Eingangs im normalen USB Multichannel Mode funktioniert über den Phones Out 3/4, indem dessen Source manuell auf SPDIF geändert wird. Ansonsten ist die verwendete Software dafür zuständig das Monitoring zu steuern, und das SPDIF-Signal Eingangssignal wahlweise auf 1/2 auszugeben.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Haben Sie das Gerät in den Multichannel Mode geschaltet? Und in der Aufnahmesoftware die Kanäle SPDIF ausgewählt?

Mein Fehler, "CC Mode" ist das Stichwort (auch bei x-maligem Durchgehen durch alle Menüs hatte ich es jeweils übersehen).

Noch eine Randbemerkung im Zusammenhang mit dem SPDIF: Habe eben vom Yamaha CD-S3000 eine CD abgespielt. Dieser ist via Coax SPDIF am ADI-2 Pro angeschlossen.
Nun ist es so, dass in der "State Overview" die Bitrate sporadisch auf 24 springt, bzw. dann wenn etwas "mehr Instrumente reinkommen und es lauter wird".
Im Handbuch findet sich auf Seite 30 spärlich was zu, Zitat: "Die Spalte Bit zeigt die Anzahl der im Audiosignal von AES und SPDIF gefundenen Bits. Zu beachten ist, dass ein als 16 Bit angezeigtes 24 Bit-Signal tatsächlich nur 16 Bit besitzt. Ein als 24 Bit erkanntes Signal kann aber auch aus 16 Bit Audio plus 8 Bit Rauschen bestehen..."

Können Sie oder jemand anderes das Umschalten auf 24 bit im Zusammenhang mit Rauschen bitte erläutern?

Installieren Sie unser DIGICheck. Menü - Function - Bit Statistics. F3 - ASIO MADIface und SPDIF Input  wählen. Nun können Sie sich beim Abspielen der CD die Bitbelegung/Nutzung direkt anschauen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME