1 (edited by bhakta.tomas 2017-09-07 04:22:07)

Topic: Using OctaMic XTC (in WD Slave mode) as Digital Converter

Hello,

I would like to ask is this 48 channels recording via MADI setup would work? (on 44.1 and 48 kHz)

I'm asking this because I want to buy an interface + 16 Mic Preamps which get most flexibility (expansion in future from 16 to 48 ch) and Mic Preamp quality with less $. I found that MADIface + OctaMic XTC offers this the most. I found that everything was great on paper, so I wanted to ask is this solution will work rock-solid at real world scenario?

1. Which OctaMic XTC unit will require latency compensation?
2. Is there any nuances with World Clock that need attention? Termination etc.
3. Will OctaMic XTC output correct WC for ADAT and AES wired together?
4. Will OctaMic XTC output correct WC being a in slave mode?
5. Will all, RME XTC and not RME units (ADAT and AES/EBU preamps), will be exact in sync/phase in DAW?

Note: I will also use ISA and UAudio preamps as A/D, as it both have 4 inputs on the back, that's why there will 8 ch of data via ADAT and AES/EBU.

Thank you for your support!

https://preview.ibb.co/ff1CDa/RME_Forum_Question_Diagram_3.png

Re: Using OctaMic XTC (in WD Slave mode) as Digital Converter

The setup is basically correct and should work. Both OctaMics will be set to Auto-ID and then set their latency compensation automatically.

Note that the audio inputs of the UAD and Focusrite will not be sample aligned to each other and the OctaMics. Their AD sections have a different conversion latency. But the difference is a few samples only, which has no meaning in real-world use as long as you keep stereo signals on the same converter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by bhakta.tomas 2017-09-07 04:46:08)

Thank you for such a quick support!

Also I wanted to ask slightly off topic question:

I've seen that Micstasy's are being used by many professionals.
OctaMic XTC is newer than Micstasy. Is XTC offering better Mic Preamps than Micstasy? My goal is to have most transparent and most noise-free preamps.

They are both quite noise-free and transparent. The difference is in the feature set, and that the Micstasy is much longer on the market.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME