Topic: USB ARC settings reset on reboot

Hello
First off, so happy to finally have a remote for my Fireface UC. I feel like I'm in the 21st century again, being able to set the volume in real time. Also very happy about its price, build and functionality (instant PnP!).

However, after a week or so I noticed a problem.. My custom bindings are reset to default every time I reboot Windows 10.
I don't reboot very often, but it's still quite frustrating..

Any idea how to solve this? Is it a known bug?

Re: USB ARC settings reset on reboot

The configuration, most probably the whole configuration of TM FX, is not saved on shut-down. Go to C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX. There you find the file last.Fireface.UC1. Check date and content. Near the end of the file the section <ProgramKeys> has entries for 28 settings, which includes the ones from the ARC USB, plus 3 more. This file is written every time TotalMix FX is exit, or the computer is restarted.

If TM FX can not write this file during shutdown the current state might get lost.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by mhallba82 2017-09-14 08:36:12)

MC wrote:

The configuration, most probably the whole configuration of TM FX, is not saved on shut-down. Go to C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX. There you find the file last.Fireface.UC1. Check date and content. Near the end of the file the section <ProgramKeys> has entries for 28 settings, which includes the ones from the ARC USB, plus 3 more. This file is written every time TotalMix FX is exit, or the computer is restarted.

If TM FX can not write this file during shutdown the current state might get lost.

Yes you are correct, this file has not been modified at all this month. I tried closing Totalmix manually and it still didn't change.
I am having problems finding where to enter the settings in the file however..
I find this for every button but nothing about function:
"<val e="ProgramKey09" v="-256"/>"

PS: last.FirefaceUC1.xml is not in read only mode.

Then the whole directory is blocked. We had cases where this was a Windows rights error (Google), or where you are not the admin on the computer that you use. A limited user account might cause such problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Then the whole directory is blocked. We had cases where this was a Windows rights error (Google), or where you are not the admin on the computer that you use. A limited user account might cause such problems.

I am admin.
Can you instruct me in how to alter the file manually?

I am currently having the same problem and have not found anywhere on this forum that gives me the definitive answer on how to solve it.

Gideon K wrote:

I am currently having the same problem and have not found anywhere on this forum that gives me the definitive answer on how to solve it.

you can't solve it because RME (MC!) doesn't think it's an issue - apparently you are the only one with this problem !

(sarcasm_off smile )

I'm assuming you are on Windows ?

he workaround is to set everything up as you want it - all the button assignments etc.  Then exit totalmix fully, that means right clicking on the taskbar icon and selecting "Exit TotalMix FX"

This writes the current settings out to disk - then you can reboot (or restart Totalmix) and all will be saved.

annoying isn't it smile

Thanks Orange.

Yes, I'm on Windows 10. That method of exiting Totalmix seems to work in terms of reverting to what I had before exiting. I'm just confused why this is an issue now? Why can't I get it back to how it has been working for the past 6-7 years?

I don't have a good answer to that - maybe a windows update broke it ?

try the latest beta that was posted near the bottom of this thread

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31977

Better use the new version 1.72:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32074

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME