1 (edited by strangedays 2017-09-18 00:42:11)

Topic: Pro Tools and Adat 1 and 2

Hi,

I recently had a big issue recording in Pro Tools with the Babyface Pro (not sure if this affects other DAW's).  I was able to record on every input other than ADAT 1+2.  I could see the audio in Total mix but I had absolutely no luck when setting these channels in pro tools at getting any signal in.  In the end I was down 2 channels and very frustrated.  I had another engineer in the session who was also clueless.

So what do I need to do to get ADAT 1+2 to record in pro tools.

Please note every other channel worked fine, but I know ADAT 1+2 also do SPDIF and wondered if this confused Pro Tools.

Re: Pro Tools and Adat 1 and 2

First check that all I/O channels are present in the Audio MIDI Setup. Then use a different DAW (Reaper) to check the optical input signal. If it works in there (I am sure it does...) it must be a configuration problem in ProTools.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by strangedays 2017-09-18 02:57:10)

They are all there - I even added the i/o manually. I have not had issues with other audio interfaces, only the RME Babyface pro (ive used a Focusrite saffire with ADAT and its fine).  Can anyone in RME test this and report back?  If there is an issue it means that in Pro Tools the Babyface is only capable of 10 inputs which is frustrating as I needed 12.  I am sure Pro tools is setup correctly and I am not saying its RME's fault but its something I will need in future so if its an issue with Babyface + Pro Tools I may need to look at another interface.

added -

I just checked in Windows and its different, appears ok, however on a mac it seems to have these issues, it might be to do with Sierra?  I need to test further - has anyone else has issues?

10 inputs? Need 12? ADAT 1/2 is input channel number 5 and 6. If 11/12 are not working (ADAT 7/8) then I wonder if you are at 96 kHz sample rate. BTW, Reaper is free for both Mac and Windows, that's why I named it to test under Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The full version of REAPER can be evaluated for 60 days.  But its not free. Discounted lic $60, commercial use $225.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm having the same issue.  The UFX II is in CC mode (24 ch).  It's odd– from what I can see, ADAT out 1-2 from PT (for example) are coming up on the same output meter on the UFX (muting 1 of them decreases the level on that meter).  The PT I/O setup looks odd, too:  I see 22 ch., all of which are identified as "analog" across the top of the matrix.  I've spent some time fiddling with this in PT (and I know my way around I/O setup), and can't see any clear reason.  The UFX is locked externally at 44.1, and optical #2 is an ADAT mode in the UFX Setup screen.

Interesting to know its not just me then - and yes its all locked correctly.

Has anyone got the Babyface Pro running in PT successfully with ADAT?

Has RME tested the unit with PT at all?

8 (edited by strangedays 2017-09-25 10:09:17)

I love the unit, but I have had no luck getting a solution yet on using it with PT, if I cannot find one the fastest solution will be to sell it and conclude it is not compatible with PT.  -There maybe a solution but I cannot afford to spend much more time trying to figure out what it is when I know other devices will work (as I have tested Focusrite with it and know it works fine).

Shame... but I need it to work.

You are not in CC (class compliment) mode right?  There's also a TotalMix 'operation mode' thing in a menu that has a full-featured or DAW option.  I'd be sure you're in DAW mode...

10 (edited by strangedays 2017-09-26 16:22:17)

Definitely in the right mode and I've tried both including DAW mode.  Audio flows fine through every single Analog and ADAT channel 1-4 and ADAT 3-8 and I can hear and see the audio through totalmix for ADAT 1+2 but I cannot get 1+2 into Pro Tools even though the IO is correct.  I can use a different interface (Focusrite Saffire 56) and get all ADAT channels in without an issue.  For some reason the way that the Babyface is recognised in ProTools (maybe due to the SPDIF/ADAT split on those channels???) cannot be routed in - just my guess seeing as they are the only ADAT channels that can be selected to be either SPDIF or ADAT.  As I say I have not had this issue before and I have tested 3 or 4 units.  And I believe the Babyface is getting audio in fine through ADAT 1+2 as I can see it in total mix.

In Pro Tools ADAT 1+2 are listed as A/S 1+2 - this is where I think there is an issue.  The Babyface is set to transmit over ADAT not SPDIF (from what I found in the settings).

As I mentioned I think other PT users need to chime in here as I am pretty competent with these things (I am also an IT engineer so have a good grasp of this stuff).  I just get the feeling somethings not right that will need more intervention - unless there is something obviously I have totally missed in the settings.  I was able to complete my last session with 10 inputs but having the full 12 would have been nice for some extra drum mics as this is why I went for the Babyface over similar interfaces - it was one of the few that had 12 inputs.

- sorry I edited this in case you already read it as I realised I put 14 inputs when I meant 12.

Is there any way that PT is not seeing the ADAT inputs and is instead trying to record SPDIF - its the only explanation I can think of?

There is an option in the driver to use S/PDIF for the ADAT 2 port– I haven't used it, so not sure what it looks like.

I spent some time trying different things today.  I had the decreased I/O, but only when in CC mode.  Otherwise, the I/O appeared as expected in both TotalMix and PT.  We have 2 UFX II units, not Babyface, so I don't know how exact my results are for your setup.  I also noticed there was a recent firmware & TotalMix flash update.  Again, this was for the UFX II, but it looks like there is one for the Babyface, too.  You might also just reinstall the driver, if you haven't already.  I won't say everything was exactly straightforward, but things were (mostly) reproducible for me.

That's what I've got right now.

I take it from little responses there are very few Protools users here?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U … O-settings

Go to the I/O setup and hit the "default" button for the Input and Output panels. For some reason PT does not always remember the I/O setup.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff - already did this, it resets the inputs back to the same state.  Im starting to give up, my only other option is to sell and go for a UAD Apollo that I know works as I've tested it.  Ive not heard anything from other Babyface pro and PT users so I'm left in the dark.

I may make a video to demonstrate/warn others, ive got both a PC and a mac so can show it on both.  Then you can see my issue, and at least others considering the babyface pro with PT will know before buying it does not work.

Which version of PT is this exactly? Which version of OSX and of the driver?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Which version of PT is this exactly? Which version of OSX and of the driver?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

PT 12.6.1 - Macos Sierra with the latest RME drivers on the RME website.

I just had the same problem of ADAT 1/2 not showing up in my DAW when I found this old thread. In my case the solution was to disable Loopback in Total Mix. It was accidentally enabled on the ADAT 1/2 Outputs.