Topic: Experiences with long MADI runs sought

Hi there

As I consider buying a 100m optical MADI cable, I have a couple of questions. Maybe one for RME Support, and one for field users.

My use case is live classical concert recording.  I'd like to put one Micstasy in the roof for the flown mic's, and connect it two another two onstage. Thinking to make the roof unit the clock master, as these mic's are 80% of the sound. Theory: best clock master is your converter, and this unit is the main converter.

So 1. Is there any technical advantage in also running Word-clock coax cable alongside the MADI optical?  Will Steadyclock extract just as good a clock from MADI optical as dedicated word-clock?  I am aware that there are length limitation on coax.

And 2. Maybe some remote recordists can help here. Are spare cores in a long MADI cable necessary?  I'm looking at "armoured" cable, but not sure whether to get 2 or 4 core. I would only ever use 2 cores, so 4 core would be for spare cores in case of cable damage.  Overkill? Cost is a factor.

Thanks for any input!

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Re: Experiences with long MADI runs sought

re. 2:  I would not care about spare cores, but get a second backup cable, which could just be a cheap "patch" quality cable on a spool. This will save you when the main cable gets crushed in a fire-door, or destroyed by heat from a light fixture etc. etc.

Bacher wrote:

re. 2:  I would not care about spare cores, but get a second backup cable, which could just be a cheap "patch" quality cable on a spool. This will save you when the main cable gets crushed in a fire-door, or destroyed by heat from a light fixture etc. etc.

Thats good advice.  Thanks!

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Potscrubber wrote:

Hi there

As I consider buying a 100m optical MADI cable, I have a couple of questions. Maybe one for RME Support, and one for field users.

My use case is live classical concert recording.  I'd like to put one Micstasy in the roof for the flown mic's, and connect it two another two onstage. Thinking to make the roof unit the clock master, as these mic's are 80% of the sound. Theory: best clock master is your converter, and this unit is the main converter.

So 1. Is there any technical advantage in also running Word-clock coax cable alongside the MADI optical?  Will Steadyclock extract just as good a clock from MADI optical as dedicated word-clock?  I am aware that there are length limitation on coax.

And 2. Maybe some remote recordists can help here. Are spare cores in a long MADI cable necessary?  I'm looking at "armoured" cable, but not sure whether to get 2 or 4 core. I would only ever use 2 cores, so 4 core would be for spare cores in case of cable damage.  Overkill? Cost is a factor.

Thanks for any input!

Old topic but fwiw we just went with a 2-core cable and will keep some spare patch cables in the trunk. Decent armoured fibre is pretty well protected and crush resistant. The weakest part is the SC breakout cables so it's important you knot the main cable somewhere near the preamps (e.g. the rack handle) so that if the cable gets tugged the armoured bit takes the brunt not the plastic SC connectors. Plastic sleeves on both ends are a must too.

Re clocking, I'd be surprised if there's an audible difference between those options!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

I think it has been mentioned several times in the forum, that Steadyclock is usually better than WC because
you do not require to use a high multiplier which easier could introduce deviances.
And the quality of WC (in a multi vendor szenario) depends on the implementation of WC on the non-RME device.

A recommendation for clock source was usually in the Forum from RME, to take the device, which is directly connected
to the PC. So if you change the sample rate i.e. by the application, then the RME device directly attached to the PC will reliably switch the clock and then also the devices that receive clock over either ADAT or MADI.

Another thing ...
MADI allows for cable lenths up to 2km.
BNC cabling which I still know from old BNC Networks with 50 Ohm resistors were limited in length of 150m or if you took high quality Western Digital cards and only them, then maybe up to 300m but which is over the standard.
So if you have cable distances of over 150m in total (all WC cabling added between devices), then it might be an advantage to get clock via optical fibre (MADI).

But maybe better RME comments on this ...

Just a few thoughts from me on this topic.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I would still be curious about listening experiences with such a long-distance clocked setup with distributed AD converters.
My setup usually consists of AD and DA separated by a 50m MADI cable, I always feel fine with this.