Topic: RayDAT crashes several 3D related programs

I recently bought and installed a RayDAT.

My PC isn't a pure studio PC, it is also in use with e.g. games, cad, desktop publishing.

After the installation of the RayDAT I noticed that several of those programs wouldn't start anymore.

Example:
The eventviewer reported for gta5.exe (grand theft auto 5) :
Application Error, event ID 1000, exceptioncode 0xc0000005

Investigating that error led me to numerous solution attempts and I've tried them all without success.
Well - at least I'm absolutely sure that no virus, malware, adware, trojan is on my system and that is up-to-date now.

When I couldn't find anymore suggestions I opened the device manager and disabled the RayDAT.

After that all programs that didn't work returned to normal function.
I then disabled the Realtek High Definition Audio device of my mainboard and enabled the RayDAT instead and the programs crashed again with the same error.

Enabling the RayDAT when working with my DAW and disabling it when doing something else is more a workaround than a solution.

- Did I do something wrong with the installation?
It seems I can't use the RayDAT as a replacement of the onboard sound, so:
- Is there a way to disable the RayDAT's windows drivers and just use the asio drivers with it?

My system specs are:
Win7 64bit, SP1
8GB RAM
Intel I7 2600k
Nvidia GTX 1080
Gigabyte Z68x-UD3H-B3 with onboard Realtek High Definition Audio

Re: RayDAT crashes several 3D related programs

Open the RayDAT's Settings dialog and set the number of WDM devices to 0. If that works try again with a setting of 2 and check the default playback device in the Windows Sound panel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very much for your answer.

The default playback device in windows sound panel is currently still the onboard realtek.

I followed your instructions and did some additional testing to find:
RayDAT works together with the onboard sound until I select more than 12 WDM devices in the RayDAT's Setting.

Mind if I ask more questions in this thread or should I better create new threads for additional questions I have regarding the RayDAT?

Best practise is to disable onboard sound.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Not on a gaming PC...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Not on a gaming PC...

Is there a possibility to always use the RayDAT like I did on my gaming PC ?
I used the UFX for AD/DA (monitors, phones, etc).
What do you have connected behind your RayDAT ?

What mainboard do you use, what PCIe slots are used by what card ?
Can you check whether other PCIe slots eventually result in more stability ?

Maybe also worth to try another nVidia driver, one time I had issues with the driver.
No crash but I had a completely laggy slowed down graphics.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

None of this is relevant or necessary. He already wrote that up to 12 WDM devices do work. As he never needs those he just sets it to 2 or whatever and problem  solved...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My idea when buying the RayDAT was, to use my I88x for getting the analog Instruments into the system, then send them to the RayDAT and then get the data turned back to analog audio by the I88x again.
That way I would have an output that my amp can handle.

Turns out, I couldn't get the AD/DA part of the I88x to run as a standalone device and I can't use the MLan software on a win7 PC.

So the current state I'm in is: I have a RayDAT that I can't use yet, because of missing additional hardware.

Regarding that required hardware I'd have the next question - again: If you think I should up a seperate thread for it, please tell me and I will.

- Do I understand it correctly, that the RayDAT has a wordclock in it?
- So could I just get that 1 wordclock in and 2 wordclock out addon card and just connect to external devices to the RayDAT without the need for an external Wordclock?

And the next question goes back to one of ramses's questions:
Currently I have use the only pci-e slot left free on my motherboard (GTX 1080 blocks all the others).
The slot it is in now in is extremely close to the gpu so the airflow to that card is halfway covered by the RayDAT.
There is still another option with the pci-e 8x port that would usually be there for a second graphic card.

- Would it be ok to use that port for the RayDAT?

You dont need WC, let the Yamaha get the clock via ADAT from RayDAT. RMEs "Steadyclock" is more accurate by design.
For this you set in the RME driver settings dialog clock source to "internal". And on your Yamaha you need to configure to get the clock via ADAT input.

You need to look into the manual, whether the primary GPU changes from x16 to x8 operation, if something becomes inserted into the 2nd GPU socket. If the card doesnt become too hot, don't worry about airflow. The RayDAT card isn't that large.

10 (edited by ramses 2017-10-27 21:26:12)

According to Heise
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/gig … 94987.html
Erweiterungsslots: 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 (1x x16, 1x x8), 3x PCIe 2.0 x1, 2x PCI

So this means the GPU should stay at x16 and the 2nd GPU socket, which you can use for the RayDAT would get at max 8 PCIe lanes, but the card in fact will use only one.

With programs like CPU-Z or maybe GPU-Z you can validate how many PCIe lanes are in use for the GPU.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I won't be able to use the I88x - since it doesn't have the AD/DA working without MLan and there are no certified Win7 MLan drivers I could use.
Besides the I88x doesn't even have a wordclock connector.

Thanks to your answer I will now just buy the wordclock in/out module for the RayDAT and a replacement for the I88x.

no wait. you probably won,t need wordclock. the digital connection, adat or spdif will carry the clock. WC will make it more complicated then needed and not better.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

13 (edited by faderone 2017-10-28 00:26:08)

Oh really?

I mean, that's what I had in mind for the I88x anyways - since there is no wordclock input available.

Thank you very much for this great hint.

Now it seems all I need is an AD/DA device with some analogue ins and outs.

Out of your practical work experience:
In which circumstance is working with a higher rate than 24bit/48kHz advisable?
And if your target medium is cd anyways - would 24bit still be the best option to use?

For cd record in 44k. Always 24 bit if you processing later. Don't forget to dither when mastering at the end

Vincent, Amsterdam

15 (edited by faderone 2017-10-29 21:49:10)

Thank you very much.

I found that I have to correct myself: I managed to make a working connection between the RayDAT and the I88x.

First I fiddled around with the WDM and when I selected the digitial monitoring on the I88x I could hear the digital-> analogue converted windows sounds coming from the RayDAT via spdif as well as via adat (depending on what i chose on dsp settings for loudspeaker).

This gave me finally a reason to install my daw (reason) and that also did output from RayDAT to I88x, got converted from digital to analogue and I could hear the sounds, although with a lot of crackling.

So I booted back to win xp, opened mlan and set the I88x to be the wordclock slave, booted back to win 7 and the crackling was gone.

Since all that was impossible according to everything I could find in the internet I now wonder:
- Might there be a way to get the analogue audio from the 8 channels of the I88x into the RayDAT somehow?
- Has anyone ever tried that with a similar device and succeeded?
- Which are the steps to setup that?
- Is there some kind of setting I could use within the RayDAT like some standard way of receiving the (hopefully) analogue->digital converted data from the I88x?
- Any clues/hints/tips/links?

I hope it is as simple as setting up the i88 to output it's analogue ins to adat under XP and the booting in win7. If you connect the adat out of the i88 to the raydat in and keep the clocking as it is now, you will see if the inputs are working in totalmix (top row). Might even work without setting it up in xp so just try that first. Another idea, you could maybe use an old computer or laptop connected via mlan permanently to have access to the i88 setting. I have a similar setup. I use a FW1804 as mic preamps, but it connected to another computer then my daw and it connects to my DAW pc via adat. Only the 1804 is firewire not Mlan.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Testing without any changes in mlan autoconnector or graphic patchbay didn't show any sign of incoming signal in RME Totalmix.

So I went to XP and tried to connect I88x's adat out 1-8 to I88x's analogue in 1-8 which seems to be impossible.
MLan won't let me establish a connection from the device to itself, only connecting to other mlan devices are described in the manuals.