Topic: Multiset+PCMCIA = dumpster?

Hey guys,

I have a Multiset (Nuendo branding etc) PCMCIA combo that was sitting in my closet for years, is there any way to make use of this without spending a ridicules amount of money?
My Toshiba Portege has an Expresscard slot which i assume i can use? if so - do you think it is worth the hassle/cost?

Thanks you!

Re: Multiset+PCMCIA = dumpster?

Expresscard to pcmcia/cardbus adapter is about $60 or maybe cheaper if you shop around. There is a chance it doesn't work, but the risk is up to you to decide. If you can return the adapter it is a small risk (only time) AFAIK you will need a power adapter for the RME.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Expresscard to pcmcia/cardbus adapter is about $60 or maybe cheaper if you shop around. There is a chance it doesn't work, but the risk is up to you to decide. If you can return the adapter it is a small risk (only time) AFAIK you will need a power adapter for the RME.

Is there a specific Excard/pcmcia adapter that is known to work? Would it be ok on a Windows 10 system?
I have always needed (and have) a power supply so that is no issue smile

Thanks for your help!

Also, I assume there’s no way to connect successfully via a USB to PCMCIA adapter, correct?

5 (edited by vinark 2017-11-01 07:14:26)

Nomolos wrote:

Also, I assume there’s no way to connect successfully via a USB to PCMCIA adapter, correct?

No, correct.
And I have no experience with expresscard to cardbus, but I think it is more a question if the expresscard on the laptop is ok for audio then the adapter. (I have a working PCI to cardbus and I think a desktop with adapter has a higher chance of succes)

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:
Nomolos wrote:

No
And I have no experience with expresscard to cardbus, but I think it is more a question if the exprescard on the laptop is ok for audio then the adapter. (I have a working PCI to cardbus and I think a desktop with adapter has a higher chance of succes)

OK.
Do you have any idea if Multiface 1 drivers are available for Windows 7/10?

Sure, the current ones. But I won't guarantee that they work with an ExpressCard to CardBus adapter under Windows 10. Never tested...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sure, the current ones. But I won't guarantee that they work with an ExpressCard to CardBus adapter under Windows 10. Never tested...

Thanks. Got it. Will report back.

9 (edited by Nomolos 2017-11-03 12:05:34)

Got the adapter and started testing and was able to get some sound! very choppy and buggy... a few blue screens on the way but actually heard some sound after many many years. Can't get a proper clean play of anything and the system is going crazy but i feel like there should be a way to get this done.

I want to ask and see if i am indeed running the right setup and see if there's a way to actually get this to work properly.

On my Windows 7 system I have installed and running:

Driver:
RME hammerfall DSP - windows WDM and ASIO 2.3 - version 4.21

Consul:
RME Total Mix FX: HDSP Multiface (1)

My settings are:
Windows sound consul set default to: SPDIF (RME Hammerfall)

Hammerfall DSP consul under the first tab 'Multiface 1' -
Buffer size 256
WDM Devices: Multi Channel
Sample rate: 44100Hz
Clock Source: Internal

worth mentioning: in the 'I/O box' section the options are 'Disconnect' and 'Multiface II' which is not what I have but still produces sound when checked..

Tried playing around with all these options but nothing fixed the choppiness...

your help is highly appreciated!

Power adapter for multiface used ?

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Power adapter for multiface used ?

Yes

only thing left is different cable from card to mf...

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

only thing left is different cable from card to mf...

You reckon!? It seems in perfect condition..
What is that cable even called? Where do you think I can get it? And most importantly, how much should it cost?

Thanks again.

No I don't reckon really. Point is that could explain the MF2 thing. But it is much more probable it is the adapter causing it. Or win10. Its all gambles!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

No I don't reckon really. Point is that could explain the MF2 thing. But it is much more probable it is the adapter causing it. Or win10. Its all gambles!

I see. Thanks!