Topic: *LOUD* click in headphones when DAW boots, even when phones muted

I recently moved my 9632 into a new machine and for the first time I'm noticing a loud click in my headphones when I boot.
Happens even if "Phones" are set to "Mute" on the DSP Settings panel.

Pretty sure the click has already damaged the headphones.

I understand that monitors should be left off until the DAW has finished booting and have been doing this for years with my mains.

If I want to protect my headphones, do I need to manually unplug them and reconnect them every time I boot up my DAW?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Re: *LOUD* click in headphones when DAW boots, even when phones muted

The 9632 will not damage headphones. As you mention the click is caused by your new system, in particular the power supply for the new computer, which prevents the special 'phones mute on start' circuit of the 9632 from working correctly. If you want to be sure then remove the phones each time, there is no other way to solve this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks MC.  guess i'll start looking for an inline switch.   For anyone reading this thread the PSU in question is a fanless Seasonic X-460W.  Did not have this issue with the Corsair tx650w

For such a stament you will have to move the old ps into the new computer. Otherwise the motherboard, which includes lots of power supply regulators, can be guilty as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

scoring4film wrote:

thanks MC.  guess i'll start looking for an inline switch.   For anyone reading this thread the PSU in question is a fanless Seasonic X-460W.  Did not have this issue with the Corsair tx650w

So you went from a 650Watt PSU to a 460Watt PSU?

What is the new system? This seems like a pretty small power supply for a new system.

It could be contributing if the rails is being stressed on start up.

Isaac P

650W was overkill, 460W was the best I could do for an affordable fanless PSU.  Since you asked and I have the info handy...

Case:
Antec Solo II
CPU:
Intel i7 2600k Socket LGA1155
Heatsink:
Noctua NH-D14
Mobo:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro (GEN3)
Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
OS/active project Drive:
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SSD
Sample/archived project Drives:
2 X Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001
PSUs:
Seasonic X-460W

scoring4film wrote:

650W was overkill, 460W was the best I could do for an affordable fanless PSU.  Since you asked and I have the info handy...

Case:
Antec Solo II
CPU:
Intel i7 2600k Socket LGA1155
Heatsink:
Noctua NH-D14
Mobo:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro (GEN3)
Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
OS/active project Drive:
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SSD
Sample/archived project Drives:
2 X Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001
PSUs:
Seasonic X-460W

I would follow MCs suggestion and try your old PSU in your new computer. That will eliminate a whole lot of uncertainty.

Is your CPU overclocked at all? I assume you are using the onboard video as well?

I agree it that it sounds like the new PSU should cope fine with this setup.

Isaac P

MC wrote:

As you mention the click is caused by your new system, in particular the power supply for the new computer, which prevents the special 'phones mute on start' circuit of the 9632 from working correctly.

I have the same problem, with a HDSP 9632 and a new computer with a Corsair RM850i PSU. Could a different PSU work, or the problem is that the 9632 in not working well with new PSUs since the card is a little old?