Topic: How to record wet and dry guitar tracks at once?

I use Fractal Audio Axe FX II for my guitar recordings. Before I bought RME I recorded wet and dry tracks at the same time by simply using my AXE FX II as an Audio interface and connecting via USB. I am now running RME as my AI and have Axe FX II connected via the balanced inputs 1 and 2 in the back.

When I open Cubase and record now I am not able to record wet and dry tracks at once. I only get a wet signal. What am I doing wrong?

Re: How to record wet and dry guitar tracks at once?

Funny ideas that you have, but you cannot send dry and wet output through the same channels.
How shall this work ?

For recording the dry signal you need an additional connection which can be mono (1 cable).

You need to check your AXE FX whether they support sending the dry signal out through one of the other analog or digital outputs, if the device has such.

An alternate solution is to plug the guitar directly to an Instrument input of the UFX+ (the 4 mic inputs in the front have the possibility to be switched to Instrument mode in TM FX).
Then you can
a) record the dry signal coming directly from your guitar
b) route this signal to an analog output of the UFX+
c) you plug a TS cable from the analog output of the UFX+ to the Guitar plug/input of your AXE FX

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Why don’t you I just use a DI like a BSS AR-133 or similar and send the link out to your amp and the balanced to the interface?  Or is this too simple? Or do I misunderstand? I do it this way often, and run the direct through AmpliTube or whatever if I want.

Sorry if I am being stupid and missing something, but it seems like an easy fix.

Steven

you have to create a patch that has the main chain and a second chain that consists of shunt blocks only!

route the shunt chain to one of the outputs and the main chain to the other output of the axe.

now you can record both outputs, one will have the wet signal and the other will record the dry DI signal.

simply make sure to monitor only the wet signal as it can get distracting listening to the processed and unprocessed signal at once.