Topic: Fireface 400 Crashing on Windows 7 - plays tone

Sorry if a solution has already been posted for this.  All I could find were some threads
where people discussed slightly different conditions, and the discussion broke down and
users were banned with no solution to the problem.

If this does have a solution and it is elsewhere, kindly point me in the right direction - I
can only rephrase my search and read through unrelated discussions for so long..

Also, I know this is an older product.  I hope this doesn't prompt responses like "Just
use a newer product".  I've heard good things about RME's support, and it would be
disheartening to find that problems don't get resolved, while we are just encouraged
to by new products, which I certainly wouldn't from RME, if there wasn't any effort into
trying to resolve this.

System:  i7, 12GB RAM, Windows 7 64, Fireface 400

Fireface seems to crash - taking down entire system - more or less at random, but
always while in use.  The crash is deep and complete - the screen freezes, including
the mouse arrow, but there is an unchanging tone outputting from the fireface.
It sounds like a sawtooth, somewhere between 500-700hz.  I haven't recorded it but
I think it's the same frequency every time.

It seems to happen most reliably when I'm streaming video through a browser (chrome).
Roughly once in 20 minutes or so..  Since it was only happening when I was streaming
hockey games through clandestine sites, I didn't care much, and assumed it was a peculiarity
of some dodgy web sites.  I don't expect sympathy there..

But it just happened when I was using nothing but Reason, which is not okay, since as you
may have guessed, I didn't buy a fireface to watch sports, but to produce music. smile

I was previously using an NI Audio 8 on this same system, and never experienced any crashes.
The particular way this crashes is not like anything I've seen before (complete, including mouse
cursor, not even the Reset button works, and that tone..)

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks very much for your help.

Re: Fireface 400 Crashing on Windows 7 - plays tone

The tone is the current buffer which gets repeated over and over again because communication broke down. Usually the interrupt got missing.

This can be a defective Fireface or unstable power supply, but most probably it is just the FireWire in your computer which needs to be updated, hardware or driver wise. The NI is a USB interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME