1 (edited by wildthing 2017-11-12 16:45:45)

Topic: Babyface Pro not recognized via USB-C hub following High Sierra update

After updating my 2016 MacBook Pro to High Sierra, my Babyface Pro is no longer recognized when connected via a AUKEY USB-C / USB 3.0 hub supporting Power Delivery.

Symptoms are:

• no audio device in System Preferences > Sound

• Fireface USB Settings.app won't start

• Totalmix.app can't see any connected device

However, the Babyface Pro *is* recognized as normal when connected using Apple's own USB-C to USB-A adaptor, and also when connected via a Wavlink 7-port USB-C / USB 3.0 hub which does not support Power Delivery.

Furthermore, in the AUKEY hub, other USB audio devices (besides the Babyface Pro) *are* recognized.

So for the time being, I have the Babyface Pro connected on the Wavlink 7-port hub.

However this is not ideal, as it is now sharing bandwidth with a lot of other devices. The reason I had it on the AUKEY hub is that there are NO other attached USB devices, just Power Delivery for charging the laptop - so the Babyface Pro had all the data bandwidth to itself.

Any ideas why this could be? Is there a particular thing to look out for when determining whether a USB hub will work or not?

Re: Babyface Pro not recognized via USB-C hub following High Sierra update

Apple just released macOS 10.13.2, and since the release notes say "Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices", I thought I'd install the update and re-test this issue.

The result is, I can no longer reproduce the issue. The Babyface Pro once again works when connected via the AUKEY USB-C / USB 3.0 hub supporting Power Delivery, so the issue appears to be "fixed".

Thanks for reporting. It's good to hear that Apple's fixes fix problems for some.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

4 (edited by wildthing 2017-12-12 00:04:48)

Well, I'm not really sure if this was fixed by macOS 10.13.2 or something else.

And sadly, a more serious USB audio issue has not been fixed in macOS 10.13.2 - ISSUE 2 in this post: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24842