1 (edited by 2shnekoi 2017-12-15 04:25:30)

Topic: adi 2 dac has same quality da converter with adi 2 pro?

hi.
congratulation to release the adi 2 dac.
i wonder that adi2dac's quality, but there is nowhere about adi 2 dac in this forum. so i have to write on here.

well, point is output quality.
does adi2dac have same convert quality and output quality with adi 2 pro?
so, the different thing is just adc's existance and output quantity. right?

if that is true, i'll buy it unconditionally..
but how do users think about that? nobody knows..

regards

2 (edited by ramses 2017-12-15 06:43:32)

Re: adi 2 dac has same quality da converter with adi 2 pro?

> but how do users think about that? nobody knows..

Of course nobody knows as its not yet available in the shops wink
RME put information about it on the webserver, so I think it will be available soon.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If you take the time to read the description on the website then you will know. It's is all in there.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

though i wouldn't have a use for it, as ADI-2 PRO already does it all for my application, when i've read the teaser for the ADI-2 FS i could only think of it: einfach genial!

because, as the ADI-2 FS shows from any angle, audio pros and audio philes are indeed different breeds, even if they may sometimes share similar expectations on sonic quality, at best.

now... let's just wait for the moaning choir of laments to begin: those who would have wanted "this" of the -PRO version to be there on the -FS, too, but not "that", or viceversa... you could almost bet, or at least i could almost bet, on what the hottest "if you just had..." claims will be... and win a brand new ADI-2 PRO FS hybrid version if you can guess them all! :-)

bravo, RME! this is yet another brilliant development of most precious technology into an easy, user-friendly package.

5 (edited by dr.larkos 2017-12-16 02:39:27)

MC wrote:

If you take the time to read the description on the website then you will know. It's is all in there.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

Season greetings MC.

Couldn't find in press release if DAC has two DAC chips like the Pro. Same for the make (AKM?) and model of whatever chip is in there.

dr.larkos

It is indeed there in the as-usual excellent manual:

Page 19:

"The ADI-2 DAC processes all audio in the digital domain. Having only one stereo digital to analog converter, different settings of volume, equalizer or effects for the three outputs is not possible when used simultaneously (the ADI-2 Pro has two DACs, therefore can process two stereo signals independently with different settings)"

Page 34:

"The rear RCA and XLR outputs and the front outputs Phones and IEM are fed from the same DAC, hence carry the same signal. They all have individual driver stages with different output levels, see next chapters for details"

That said I also have a couple questions:

1. Is it the same DAC chip used, albeit one rather than two?

2. Any chance USB HID volume control function has been added?

3. Regarding the quality of the DA conversion compared to the Pro, the main differences listed on the product page notes would seem to be:

"More relays, a different double symmetrical attenuator circuit and one additional buffer OP amp succeed in less noise and less THD"

"The ADI-2 DAC is the first device in RME's range with SteadyClock FS.... With SteadyClock FS the focus was put on reducing the self jitter of SteadyClock to new lows, by improving its second, analog PLL circuit, and referencing both Direct Digital Synthesis and PLL to a low phase noise quartz crystal."

Any further details or thoughts on how significant these changes are?

PS - Congrats on the the new product, it's an attractive device for those not needing an ADC.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

Same DAC and just one. No HID volume.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Same DAC and just one. No HID volume.

.... and also the same clock?

No. SteadyClock III and SteadyClock FS, as stated on the website and in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No. SteadyClock III and SteadyClock FS, as stated on the website and in the manual.

...so, better clock on adi 2 dac. I resell the pro, because of bad clock smile