1 (edited by watchnerd 2017-12-18 08:18:30)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro / Mac OSX / USB Audio Midi Bit Depth & Rate

From what i can tell, when using the ADI-2 Pro with OSX in USB mode, there is no way to have the bit depth / sample rate automatically set to match that of the playback software (Roon in my case) or file being played.

In other words, if I want to play back a file at 24bit/88.2 khz, I have to manually go into Audio Midi and set the depth and rate.

Is there a way around this?

It gets a bit inconvenient after a while.

Re: ADI-2 Pro / Mac OSX / USB Audio Midi Bit Depth & Rate

I am not aware of how this could work differently unless Roon changes the Core Audio sample rate. Other player software easily does exactly that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I am not aware of how this could work differently unless Roon changes the Core Audio sample rate. Other player software easily does exactly that.

Sorry, I should have generalized my question. 

Is there any combination of connection method (USB/SPDIF) to the ADI-2 Pro + software under OSX that allows the sample rate to be automatically set to match the file being played?

I understood MC this way (and this is also my expectation) that the player should handle this gracefully.

So maybe try another player to cross check ... it should work automatically.

On Windows I also made the discovery that some player can do this perfectly like foobar2000, where MusicBee fails.
MusicBee succeds when you change the sample rate only between 44.1 and 48 KHz.
But fails changing from i.e. 44.1 to 96 or other higher rates. Maybe because then the ASIO buffer sizes also changes with higher data rates of higher sample rates.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

JRiver and Vox set the sample rate automatically. Most probably many more players. Just not iTunes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just because I had the same "Problem" today with my new ADI 2 DAC, I can recommend the "Swinsian" player for macOS, after setting "automatically adjust audio sample rate and bit depth" in the settings it works flawlessly (plus that player plays everything from Flac to DSD).