Topic: Just got my first RME

Just purchased an RME FF UFX II.  Upgrading from an old focusrite.  I presumed things would just work, but i'm having problems even getting playback.  I have no idea what's wrong.  I installed the CD drivers, and updated from the most recent things I found on the site, but i'm still at a loss.

2 (edited by ramses 2018-01-12 05:57:38)

Re: Just got my first RME

What computer do you have Windows or Apple ?
What driver / formware do you use ? Latest ?
What playback ? From what application ? Can you pls detail, thanks.

Proactively some links which could be very useful for you in general:

Maybe you need to make friend with TotalMix FX ?

I put together a primer: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

There are also RME resources with tutorial videos: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

This might also be useful for you at a later point: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ndruck-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm on a windows 10 PC.

Driver date 9616

I am using youtube to test playback. 

I finally gathered that it will not simply play back naturally, but needed to be set to certain outputs.  I now have the headphones playing, based on clicking on the right hand side.  I blasted my speakers out by finally selecting the speaker that I am plugged into on the output side (TRS cable to channel 3).  I quickly grabbed the fader to take down the mix, but this did nothing.

Ok thanks for the tutorial, i'm going to go through these.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-01-12 06:40:53)

Windows and its typical applications have no clue about ASIO.

Therefore you can provide WDM devices for windows in the RME driver settings dialog
(see symbol in the Windows info bar on the lower right) for all all analog and digital channels.

Under "WDM Device Configuration" you define

a) in TAB "WDM devices" for which I/Os you want to create WDM devices
In a 1st step maybe only for Analog 1+2, assuming you connected there your main monitors

b) in TAB "Speaker" which of those are speakers (Analog 1+2 in this example)
the latter you need so that you can select in Windows "sound" settings the default Windows output device
which usually is your main speaker.

Then change to Windows Sound configuration and ensure that RME UFX II Analog 1+2 becomes the standard output device.
All system sounds, Sounds from applications like Internet Browser which use the Windows Sound system will now playback  sound via your monitors.

All sound coming from Windows you will see then in TotalMix FX in the Middle Row under Software Playback channels
in particular Analog 1+2.

Your routing you set best in TM FX "submix mode", see upper right in TM FX.
Click to the output channel Analog 1+2 in the 3rd row and then move the faders of
row 1 (your inputs of the recording interface)
row 2 (all that comes from applications)
Rest see my primer please.

TotalMix will usually be set (as long as you dont change it) to operate at 0dB.
This will be very lound for most of the Near Field Monitors.
1. if your main monitors have potis, then use them to turn down the volume so that even 0dB do not hurt too much
2. otherwise pls have a look at this thread: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399
3. Assign in TotalMix FX your main output and set the volume to a comfortably silent start level, i.e. -20dB or -30dB
4. save this setting to snapshot 1 and rename it i.e. "main out"
5. save these settings to snapshot and workspace like I documented in my primer and eventually also into a Workspace Quick select slot
6. store this state eventually also into your device into the configuration slot 1 (out of 6 possible), then you can even recall this state standalone on the device if you want/need it. You can update this at any time.
7. Enable in TotalMix Preferences (F2) to alway init SDP devices with TM FX settings, then the device will be initialized with the snapshot settings to the lower output level
8. Get an ARC USB where you are able to mute quickly or to move the volume knob quickly (quicker than with mouse)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Man, the struggle is real.  I can get sound out of one thing, but not all.  I.e. I can't get the sound to play out of the monitors AND the headphones.  I have to manually switch them.

That doesn't make sense unless you assigned the phones as Speaker B. Can you provide a screenshot of TM FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

EvanRowe wrote:

Man, the struggle is real.  I can get sound out of one thing, but not all.  I.e. I can't get the sound to play out of the monitors AND the headphones.  I have to manually switch them.

Indeed phones and monitors are independent and this is not like an amplifier where the phones output is always active. Where did you "click on the right hand side" to achieve playback as desired?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi.  So i'm back again, ready for figuring this out.  For starters, i'd like to paste screen shots but my usual copy/paste function that works on FB doesn't appear to work here.  How do I insert my screen shots? 

The bottom right of windows has a little speaker icon, and when I click that it gives me the options I seem to be able to create inside of the madiface series settings icon that was also installed.  I was a bit unsure about why I have a madiface anything since my only device is the UFX2, but I downloaded the latest drivers and that's what it looks like. 

I have total mix and the madiface settings icons in the lower right.  I can get sound to play out of one thing, but not both headphones and monitors simultaneously.

For that you will have to do some totalmix reading and video watching. Totalmix is great and simple when you get it.
Simpke explantion. In the bottom row select the headphones you want to hear and then up the fader of what you want to hear in the second row. Every fader at the bottom is a complete mix setup for that output.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

So the issue here is i've done that, and it is not working.  I think there is something amiss between the windows output and the total mix.  And again, how do I paste screen shots in here?

EvanRowe wrote:

And again, how do I paste screen shots in here?

You can't. You will need to upload files e.g. to 666kb.com or a similar site.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
EvanRowe wrote:

And again, how do I paste screen shots in here?

You can't. You will need to upload files e.g. to 666kb.com or a similar site.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well that makes it pretty inefficent to communicate problems doesn't it? 

On the lower right side, next to the clock, there is a little speaker icon.  When I click that I have 3 of the exact same output options, which read "(speakers RME UFX II)" 

So again, my hunch here is that something is not streamlined between windows and UFX, somewhere along the chain.

And really you don't need the speaker icon, and the the 3 icons are not outputs but 3 applications that go to one output.Same here. It is all done in totalmix. Try a full reset of totalmix.
And maybe explain what you are trying to do, with what software. This is a pro card, normally you would use asio from an audio application. Asio uses all outputs and you asign those from the software, not from windows.

You start your first post with I am at a loss, you can't escape having to learn this beast and really master totalmix. And what it is for.
BTW I am a fellow rme user

Vincent, Amsterdam

EvanRowe wrote:

On the lower right side, next to the clock, there is a little speaker icon.  When I click that I have 3 of the exact same output options, which read "(speakers RME UFX II)"

In the MADIface USB Settings app, find WDM Devices > Configure.

This will allow you to define which channels your OS and general multimedia apps can use.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

vinark wrote:

And really you don't need the speaker icon, and the the 3 icons are not outputs but 3 applications that go to one output.Same here. It is all done in totalmix. Try a full reset of totalmix.
And maybe explain what you are trying to do, with what software. This is a pro card, normally you would use asio from an audio application. Asio uses all outputs and you asign those from the software, not from windows.

You start your first post with I am at a loss, you can't escape having to learn this beast and really master totalmix. And what it is for.
BTW I am a fellow rme user

Ok, I am going for the total reset of total mix.  I bought this thing because it was highly regarded as a pro card.  But i'm an artist, not an engineer.  The most important thing for me is that it just works without me ever having to worry about it or troubleshoot it.  I'm not going to be running massive sessions.  Just vocals, midi keys, moog, bass line in, and maschine via usb.

Jeff wrote:
EvanRowe wrote:

In the MADIface USB Settings app, find WDM Devices > Configure.

This will allow you to define which channels your OS and general multimedia apps can use.

Here again, I have monitors routed to 3/4, cans routed to 11/12 but again I can only, between messing with all of it, get sound to come out of one or the other.  At various points in the past 24 hours i've been able to get audio out of EITHER the monitors OR the headphones, but not both simultaneously.

Holy shit I got it.

To get a basic understanding, just play an mp3 and then open totalmix. You will see levels on the middle row. then select the outputs you want to hear in the bottom row. Make sure that that fader is up and now up the fader with signal in the middle row. You should hear it now. Repeat for other outputs.

Vincent, Amsterdam

You still don't mention what software. For example here in cubase I have to set up speakers and phones in the vst connection setup. After first selecting the asio driver in the sytem audio setup.

Vincent, Amsterdam

If you choose output Analog 3/4 then the signal goes to your monitors. Windows can't use two independent output channels at the same time, so you will need to use TotalMix to route this playback signal to Phones out as well.

It will go a lot easier if you look at your user manual or at least our video tutorial content on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … nSXF_f8UB6

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yeah :-)

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

You still don't mention what software. For example here in cubase I have to set up speakers and phones in the vst connection setup. After first selecting the asio driver in the sytem audio setup.

I'm using studio one, but I was also messing with everytthing while it was outputting audio.  I reset, and started again, and everything seems good to go like the tutorials demonstrate.

I gave you the recommendation to watch RME video tutorials already in post #2 of this thread wink
And now I give you again the recommendation eventually to look at my primer, it might help you for a good basic setup.

You dont need to be an engineer. But even an artist had to learn in their life how to drive bicycles, cars or how to play an instrument. This also didnt come over night wink

RME builds phantastic products, but you need simply to understand only a few things, like i.e.
- a few useful TM FX basic settings, i.e. to always initialize the device from TM FX
- routing in TotalMix in "submix mode", very easy and comfortably once you know it
- how to safe your TotalMix settings and to create snapshots for the most important routings, easily recallable at any time
- eventually also to use Quick Workspace select

I wish you much fun using your gear.

25 (edited by knuckle47 2018-01-16 04:57:15)

EvanRowe,  I can sympathize with your dilemma but you should know that you are getting 1st class advice from probably the 5 most knowledgeable people I have read and gotten advice from myself.  A working setup of my UFX+ eluded me for weeks and all the same frustrations.  I’m still more than a bit shaky on getting repeatable results on setup and in no way shape or form do I want to unplug anything and shift it around because it’s workin’.

However, just like they say in weight loss, instrument skill or Bob Ross paintings.... “ if I can do it ,  you can do it”.

Ramses’ setup primer is another form of a manual which for me, like high school geometry in 1967, was all about the teacher.  The first one was just not someone I could grasp, and the second one had a different way of explaining it. IF you put my hand on the buttons the first time and walk me thru, I’ll get there again eventually.

As you see...I’m far from a pro user and not an engineer but if I can elucidate further on something with a different set of thoughts, drop an email. I’d like to think I’m an artist too.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961