1 (edited by Matching_Mole 2018-01-27 18:47:28)

Topic: Feature request: different Ref Level for PCM and DSD

I recently got an ADI 2 pro that I use mainly as DAC/ADC in my hifi rig, and I'm really amazed by its features and quality. I just have a small issue regarding DSD which could be fixed if it was possible to set up a different Ref Level for PCM and DSD.

Compare to PCM at 0db (the way I used it with the ouput ref level at 4db), DSD Direct mode has a lower volume as all DSP functions are deactivated (so the trim function for the DAC output but also, unfortunately, the ADC input) with a fixed volume at -3.5db as clearly explained in the manual.
All my DSD files have even lower volume because I use DSD (DSD128 mainly) to digitalize my rarest LP but the volume coming from my hifi rig peaks at max at -10db (with the input ref level also at -4db). So I have a difference of around 15db between my PCM and DSD files.
This could be fixed if I was able to settle different Ref Level for PCM and DSD (higher for DSD). This feature could be also useful in the other way for people using headphone to setup a specific (lower) Ref Level for DSD as volume function is deactivated.

It will be great if it was possible in a future Firmware update.

Re: Feature request: different Ref Level for PCM and DSD

We will discuss this, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Feature request: different Ref Level for PCM and DSD

Great, thanks for your quick answer.