Topic: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 159 DSP 85

This time it's just a small update. FPGA version 159 addresses several issues that were so far not reported from anyone. Ok, very low level clicks on a headphone output when switching a unit on or off via its standby button seem to be not so important, but our headphones outputs use relay, and if they work as intended then the outputs are just dead silent. Now they are.

We also optimized the timings behind the standby button a bit.

Firmware download is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by FIXXXER 2018-01-30 10:28:36)

Re: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 159 DSP 85

NICE!

by the way, i have set my monitors to the lowest input sensitivity but
still when i power off the device i get a fairly loud pop noise in the speakers.

EDIT: it happens mostly when i power ON the device

Then you don't use the Standby button, it seems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by FIXXXER 2018-01-30 10:28:00)

I am using the button on the far left front, which i thought was the standby button...

The "pop" appears randomly by the way, maybe in 3 out of 10 times i "power on" the device.

And does the new firmware make a difference?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hallo, kommt der ADI-2 Pro auch noch durch FW-Update zu einer verbesserten Steadyclock oder ist das eine Hardwaresache?

Ja, das wäre schön, falls das ginge, damit beide Geräte diesbezüglich "on par" sind.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Das ist eine Hardware-Änderung (neuer Quartz und neuer PLL Chip). Ansonsten gäbe es das per Firmware natürlich schon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I just (an hour or so ago) had a very large pop when starting USB playback, unfortunately while wearing IEMs. The unit had firmware that I installed about a week and a half ago (150/85). I've just upgraded the firmware but could you tell me please if the firmware update included anything that would have solved that issue? (I am somewhat reluctant to "just test it" as my ear is still ringing...)

Thank you smile

Stuff like that usually means wrong output ref level. Make sure it is set to Low Power when using IEMs.

Clicks on USB might happen seldom when the sample rate switches over a bigger range while USB is disconnected, for example from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz or back. Once you have configured your system this should no longer happen. If you usually listen to 44 or 48 kHz, disconnect USB and set the unit to 44 kHz INT manually (it defaults to 192 kHz in Preamp mode). And don't disconnect the USB cable while the unit is turned on and you wear headphones wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by SpeakFriend 2018-02-02 04:54:43)

Hi MC, thanks for the response and the additional information. The ADI-2 Pro is in low power mode. However the scenario is now clearer to me - when I turn the ADI-Pro on, it starts set to 176.4k as that is how the Mac has it set in Audio MIDI setup. (The ADI-2 Pro is also set to INT 176.4k, but the Mac's setting in Audio MIDI Setup overrides what the ADI-2 Pro setting anyway.) When I started playback with a 44k1 track, the player switches it to 44k1 i.e. "the sample rate switches over a bigger range while USB is connecting". The player being used was Audirvana+ v3.

If I set the ADI-2 Pro to INT 44.1k while USB is disconnected, then turn it off, reconnect and turn it on, the ADI-2 Pro is immediately changed to the setting the Mac has for the ADI-2 Pro in Audio MIDI setup. It's not really possible to force the Mac to stay at one sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup as some players change that setting. And even if I could, it would only avoid this problem in the case where I start playback with a 44k1/48k file - if I inadvertently started playback with a 176 or 192k file, I _may_ get the large pop again (correct?).

I will try reproducing it with the current firmware (but with output connected to a recorder not my ears yikes ). At any rate this seems unrelated to the firmware update. Thanks smile

[Edited for clarification - I hope wink ]