1 (edited by Erka 2018-02-05 11:56:55)

Topic: My UFX+ problems :(

Hi, I bought a new UFX+. I've connected, uploaded the latest driver, updated the firmware, During the work i hear strange short circuits, clicking, etc.
I work on windows 7 64, i7, 32Gb Ram, SSD.
The interface is connected to usb 3.0
Please, help me because I was really surprised. My previous UCX interface was trouble-free. Everything worked fine.

Thanks

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

2 (edited by ramses 2018-02-05 08:41:08)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

EDITED:

1. Check in the RME driver settings dialog (click to driver icon in the Windows info bar), that no USB communication error occurr, for the diagnosis you need to keep this window open and the you repeat your playback, could be cable / chipset problem. If you see errors, try another quality cable, best not longer than 2-3m.
2. Also make sure in this driver settings dialog, that ISO Streaming is disabled.
3. try all other USB3 ports, try to use preferrably those from chipset (USB3 chips from ASMedia are known to cause issues, see handbook)
4. Which ASIO buffersize do you use, does it help to increase it ?

Which mainboard do you use ?
How long is our USB3 cable ?
Which sample frequency are you using ?

Additional checks:
- are you using the RME ASIO driver in your DAW application and not a windows driver ?
- is the UFX+ directly connected to an USB3 port on your PC without an USB bridge in front of it ?

In terms of PC / Windows:
- did you check with DPC Latency Checker or LatencyMOn, that your PC is capable of processing audio ?
- ensure that you use high performance energy profile
- disable CPU core parking to reduce lag (generally a good idea for systems)
- change in the advanced settings to tune scheduler to priorotize background jobs (not foreground programs)
BIOS:
- disable energy saving settings (C-States C0/C1, disable all other other Cx reports that allow for higher sleep states
- disable C1E
- disable T-States
- disable P-States
- you may leave Turbo and EIST enabled

Shall all of your USB3 ports have issues then this card might cure your problems: Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E
It requires a free PCIe socket with 4 PCIe lanes.
It has the excellent FL1100 chipset, one USB3 chipset per port for highest speed throughput.
And the driver uses a driver model that is more advanced / performant under windows.

BR Ramses
Win7, CubPro9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB, Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

3

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

> Check in the RME driver settings dialog (click to driver icon in the Windows info bar), that no USB communication error occur, for the diagnosis you need to keep this window open and the you repeat your playback, could be cable / chipset problem.

That is indeed the first thing to do!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Hi
Thanks for quick reply
1. Driver is ok
2. Cable i use is 3.0 plugged to the pprt 3.0
i changed cable and port and nothing changed.

My mainboard:
Msi Z97 u3 plus
Cable is 1,8m  but i have 1m as well and nothing changed
Sample freq - 256 but i changed to other frequencies and works the same.
Im using high performance energy



ramses wrote:

EDITED:

1. Check in the RME driver settings dialog (click to driver icon in the Windows info bar), that no USB communication error occurr, for the diagnosis you need to keep this window open and the you repeat your playback, could be cable / chipset problem. If you see errors, try another quality cable, best not longer than 2-3m.
2. Also make sure in this driver settings dialog, that ISO Streaming is disabled.
3. try all other USB3 ports, try to use preferrably those from chipset (USB3 chips from ASMedia are known to cause issues, see handbook)
4. Which ASIO buffersize do you use, does it help to increase it ?

Which mainboard do you use ?
How long is our USB3 cable ?
Which sample frequency are you using ?

Additional checks:
- are you using the RME ASIO driver in your DAW application and not a windows driver ?
- is the UFX+ directly connected to an USB3 port on your PC without an USB bridge in front of it ?

In terms of PC / Windows:
- did you check with DPC Latency Checker or LatencyMOn, that your PC is capable of processing audio ?
- ensure that you use high performance energy profile
- disable CPU core parking to reduce lag (generally a good idea for systems)
- change in the advanced settings to tune scheduler to priorotize background jobs (not foreground programs)
BIOS:
- disable energy saving settings (C-States C0/C1, disable all other other Cx reports that allow for higher sleep states
- disable C1E
- disable T-States
- disable P-States
- you may leave Turbo and EIST enabled

Shall all of your USB3 ports have issues then this card might cure your problems: Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E
It requires a free PCIe socket with 4 PCIe lanes.
It has the excellent FL1100 chipset, one USB3 chipset per port for highest speed throughput.
And the driver uses a driver model that is more advanced / performant under windows.

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

5 (edited by ramses 2018-02-06 07:29:51)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

I assume its due to the ASMEDIA USB3 ports.
All USB3 ports on the rear of your mainboard seems to come from the ASMEDIA chip.
Check where the USB3 ports are located which come from the Intel Z97 Chipset.
You need to read your mainboard manual for this and eventually also open your case.

https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/msi … 11444.html

Formfaktor: ATX • Chipsatz: Intel Z97 • RAM: 4x DDR3 DIMM, dual PC3-26400U/DDR3-3300 (OC), max. 32GB (UDIMM) • Erweiterungsslots: 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4), 2x PCIe 2.0 x1, 3x PCI, 1x M.2/M-Key (PCIe 2.0 x2/SATA, 2280/2260/2242) • Anschlüsse extern: 1x VGA, 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI 1.4, 8x USB-A 3.0 (ASM1074), 2x USB-A 2.0, 1x Gb LAN (Realtek RTL8111G), 6x Klinke, 1x PS/2 Combo • Anschlüsse intern: 4x USB 3.0 (Z97), 4x USB 2.0, 6x SATA 6Gb/s (Z97), 1x seriell, 1x parallel • Header Kühlung: 2x CPU-Lüfter 4-Pin, 3x Lüfter 4-Pin • Header Beleuchtung: N/A • Audio: 7.1 (Realtek ALC892) • RAID-Level: 0/1/5/10 (Z97) • Multi-GPU: AMD 2-Way-CrossFireX (x16/x4) • Stromanschlüsse: 1x 24-Pin ATX, 1x 8-Pin EPS12V • Grafik: IGP (via CPU/APU) • Beleuchtung: N/A • Besonderheiten: All solid capacitors • Herstellergarantie: drei Jahre (ab Produktionsdatum, Abwicklung nur über Händler)

Depending on the results, whether its easy to use the USB3 ports from chipset or not you have 2 alternatives:

a) get this card, but I am not sure whether it impacts the amount of PCIe Lanes of your Graphics card if you place a card into the 2nd PCIe-x16 socket, as this is the only socket which offers 4 PCIe lanes for the card. You need to check this in the handbook. https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html
I am running it on my own very successfully with 2 UFX+ and 1 ADI-2 Pro connected.
Possible with this card as each of the 4 ports has a dedicated USB3 FL1100 chip behind it, so that each of the ports has the full power of USB3.

b) get this card, but I have no experience whether it has the same superb drivers. Best is to get both cards at once and look which fits best. https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html
Here the 4 Ports share one FL1100 USB3 controller.

BR Ramses
Win7, CubPro9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB, Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

you write that the usb ports are bad, explain why the previous UCX interface worked without any problems.   buys equipment for that kind of money and have something to combine with the equipment?

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

No you should use the intel usb3 ports of your motherboard. They are available as headers on your motherboard. Often they are blue. This is a usb3 header http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ … 1421880311
If your computer case has usb3 ports you need to connect them to the motherboard. If not you need something like this http://usb.brando.com/prod_img/zoom/UPC … 0_01_L.jpg  it can be 2 or 4 ports like this one.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652 ADI-8AE HDSP9632
Cubase pro 9

8

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Erka wrote:

you write that the usb ports are bad

The USB 3 ports are bad.

Erka wrote:

explain why the previous UCX interface worked without any problems

It uses USB 2 and a different transfer mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Hi
thank you all for your interest in the topic. I think the problem has been solved. I connected the hub to JUSB5: USB 3.0 Expansion Connectors and so far everything is working and not jamming.

ramses wrote:

I assume its due to the ASMEDIA USB3 ports.
All USB3 ports on the rear of your mainboard seems to come from the ASMEDIA chip.
Check where the USB3 ports are located which come from the Intel Z97 Chipset.
You need to read your mainboard manual for this and eventually also open your case.

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

10 (edited by ramses 2018-02-08 20:55:09)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

You have an USB hub in between ?? This is definitively not best practise.
Even if it works now I would not rely on it.

Recording interfaces ought to be connected directly to a port where an USB chip is behind
and best a dedicated chip, not one shared between ports that you have in use by other devices.

BR Ramses
Win7, CubPro9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB, Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

I have this Reader Panel on the front:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-HC-05BKV2
and this i connected to  JUSB5: USB 3.0

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

I have another question,
when i changed sample rate to 192khz in DAW, the display of UFX+ shows luminous points, is this normal?
link to video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3hzo646aek64 … 3.mp4?dl=0

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

13 (edited by ramses 2018-02-09 01:11:37)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Erka wrote:

I have this Reader Panel on the front:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-HC-05BKV2
and this i connected to  JUSB5: USB 3.0

Its something like a hub, connect UFX+ to a true USB3 port from chipset (be it Intel or AMD).

Or get this card: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/alleg … 3pcie.html

Advanced driver design, 4xFL1100 chipset (according to UFX+ manual supported), works perfect.
Needs PCIe socket with x4 PCIe lanes.

BR Ramses
Win7, CubPro9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB, Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

14

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Erka wrote:

when i changed sample rate to 192khz in DAW, the display of UFX+ shows luminous points, is this normal?
link to video:

Manual chapter 39.7.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Im thinking about this cheaper card:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/alleg … 4port.html

Because this 2 cards has similiar tech spec. Look on video

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

So I understand that I do not have to worry that, this is normal behavior on the display.

MC wrote:
Erka wrote:

when i changed sample rate to 192khz in DAW, the display of UFX+ shows luminous points, is this normal?
link to video:

Manual chapter 39.7.

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Erka wrote:

I have this Reader Panel on the front:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-HC-05BKV2
and this i connected to  JUSB5: USB 3.0

This is perfect! No need for anything else. It is a direct USB3 without anything in between.

To Ramses it has different connections for the card reader (usb2 cable) And the esata (sata cable)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652 ADI-8AE HDSP9632
Cubase pro 9

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

ramses wrote:

You have an USB hub in between ?? This is definitively not best practise.
Even if it works now I would not rely on it.

Recording interfaces ought to be connected directly to a port where an USB chip is behind
and best a dedicated chip, not one shared between ports that you have in use by other devices.

it is direct to header, please look good before you make new problems with a working setup!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652 ADI-8AE HDSP9632
Cubase pro 9

19 (edited by Erka 2018-02-09 10:26:13)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Yes
This hub has 2 cables to connect usb 3.0 (port blue - jusb5)
And to second cable to port usb 2.0

But i would like to Connect this interface to the back panel because this cable from ufx + bothers me a bit.

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

20 (edited by ramses 2018-02-09 10:31:39)

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

vinark wrote:
ramses wrote:

You have an USB hub in between ?? This is definitively not best practise.
Even if it works now I would not rely on it.

Recording interfaces ought to be connected directly to a port where an USB chip is behind
and best a dedicated chip, not one shared between ports that you have in use by other devices.

it is direct to header, please look good before you make new problems with a working setup!

Thanks for clarifying.

BTW .. yesterday I did not find this information in the product description.
Now I see that this is described under "specification".

BR Ramses
Win7, CubPro9.5, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro/DAC, RayDAT, ARC USB, Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

If you want at the back get something like this http://usb.brando.com/prod_img/zoom/UPC … 0_01_L.jpg
Search for USB3 bracket.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652 ADI-8AE HDSP9632
Cubase pro 9

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Erka wrote:

Yes
This hub has 2 cables to connect usb 3.0 (port blue - jusb5)
And to second cable to port usb 2.0
But i would like to Connect this interface to the back panel because this cable from ufx + bothers me a bit.

You could also use what you have now and lay it down behind your computer, with the cable of it going through a PCI bracket opening. At least until you get a proper bracket

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652 ADI-8AE HDSP9632
Cubase pro 9

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Finally I bought the following card:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/alleg … 4port.html

Akasa hub is still useful so I will not dismantle it.
The Allegro card should come on monday, I will plug in and let you know how it works.

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

Hi, Unfortunately, but on these ports (AKASA) it also jams.
Today I started to make music, and after a long time of use the problems started again
I am waiting for a sonnet card by Monday. I hope that she will solve my problem.

vinark wrote:
Erka wrote:

I have this Reader Panel on the front:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-HC-05BKV2
and this i connected to  JUSB5: USB 3.0

This is perfect! No need for anything else. It is a direct USB3 without anything in between.

To Ramses it has different connections for the card reader (usb2 cable) And the esata (sata cable)

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10

Re: My UFX+ problems :(

It works smile I connected the usb card today:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/alleg … 4port.html

and everything plays perfectly smile

Thanks very much  smile

Win 7 x64, i7 4790K, 32GB , Z97 U3 PLUS
UFX+, Adam A7X, Prophet 6, Sub 37, Model D, FL 20, Live 10