Topic: TotalMix FX version 1.50 supports remote control over network (Final)

RME proudly presents TotalMix FX version 1.50, which is now available for public testing

The focus in version 1.50 lies on the complete remote control capability over network. TotalMix FX has long been supporting remote control via MIDI standard commands, the Mackie protocol and OSC. But these work only in banks, with limited performance, and do not use all the features available in TotalMix FX. Also the graphical surfaces differ significantly from TotalMix FX.

With the iPad app TotalMix FX for iPad a design identical to the desktop versions exists. However, the app has been developed specifically for the local control of an interface connected to the iPad, so on the iPad it offers the same as the desktop version on a computer with RME interface.

Version 1.50 now supports network remote over TCP, 'normal' network with Ethernet and WiFi. The remote side consists of the program/app TotalMix Remote, which basically does not differ from TotalMix FX. However, there is no communication to a local interface, but via network to all systems running TotalMix FX version 1.50. The remote software is available free of charge for Windows, Mac OS and (soon) iOS (iPad).

The remote software mirrors the current state of the host system on a Windows computer, Mac or iPad - the entire mixer state, the complete routing, all FX settings, Channel Layouts and the level meters. The latter show particularly clearly the great advantage of the TCP-based remote: lowest system load and very low latency. In contrast to popular, browser-based network solutions, TotalMix FX minimizes the burden on the remote client and the host, and thrills with fluid operation without delays. This is true even if a fader group is moved quickly, and many nodes need to process changing gain values. Even using standard WiFi, TotalMix Remote works quickly and seamlessly with TotalMix FX 1.50.

Whether a complete and clear control of the mix from a remote location, control of the mix with a Windows or iOS tablet connected via WiFi, the individual setting of monitor mixes from the respective musician, or a simple MeterBridge for all inputs, outputs and software playback channels on an additional display - the new network functionality opens up new, comfortable and versatile capabilities. And this is true for all RME interfaces since 2001 which are currently compatible with TotalMix FX.

The setup is simple: Enter the IP address of the host computer (where your audio interface is connected) into TotalMix Remote (which runs on a searate Windows, Mac or iOS device) - done. This is possible even without additional tools, since the host's address is displayed directly in the new Network Settings page in TotalMix FX (under Options).

TotalMix Remote with TotalMix FX 1.50 is capable of multi-device, multi-remote and multi-host operation. On the remote computer the extended remote functions of the normal desktop version are also available, so a remote of the remote via MIDI and Mackie protocol, typically with fader banks in hardware, is possible (Mac and Win, not iPad). Even the popular ARC USB, a USB-based remote control with a rotary wheel and 15 freely programmable, illuminated buttons, can be connected to the remote computer and used with the software TotalMix Remote (as the ARC USB can not be connected to an iPad this is not possible under iOS).

Activating the TotalMix Remote server in TotalMix FX and TotalMix Remote (Options, Network Remote Settings) will issue a Windows Firewall warning. Please allow communication or it can't work.

Something else?

There are some additional news in version 1.50:

- Fixed nap problem under Mac OS X
- Fixed shutdown problem under Windows
- Workspaces from UFX can now be used with UFX II
- Removed left-over context menu entries in DAW mode
- ARC USB is freed after 3 seconds when not assigned to any interface (use it as remote for other tasks)
- ARC USB supports Shift key for fine fader control
- ARC USB wheel rotation is now locked to the fader's travel position, unless going over the top and bottom
- Mac TM FX: Quick Workspaces were not saved after Cancel has been used
- Mac TM FX: Quick Workspace name (list entry) was not saved immediately
- MADIface Pro: Assign channel list showed only 60 MADI channels

Any feedback is appreciated!

Downloads

Quick Guide to TotalMix Remote https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx150guide.pdf

Windows Final (RC1):

TotalMix FX 1.50: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … n_1503.zip

TotalMix Remote 1.01: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … remote.zip

Mac Final:

TotalMix FX 1.50: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … c_1505.zip

TotalMix Remote 1.01: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … remote.zip

Installation: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the new version into Windows\System32 overwriting the old one. Both remotes come with installer.

iOS: TotalMix Remote for iPad version 1.13 is available on the Apple App Store as free download

Known Bugs / Issues / Changes (constantly updated)

- [Fixed] Remotes: Wrong localization in some dialogs
- [Fixed] Remotes: Matrix: right channel field missing in all routings
- [Fixed] Remotes: Changing Mains to Mono was not blocked (caused crash)
- [Fixed] Remotes: AI/AO modules not detected/shown
- [Fixed] Remotes: renaming CRM channels is not possible
- [Fixed] Remotes: wrong routing shown for last channel submix
- [Fixed] Host: doesn't like German Umlauts
- [Fixed] iPad App: Gain reduction level meters (Dynamics) sometimes not shown on some channels
- [Fixed] iPad App: MADIface Pro and XT FX I/O level meters don't work
- [Done] iPad App: Entering the Host IP address should not require Return key
- [Done] iPad App: Add vertical scrolling for Control Strip
- [Done]  iPad App: Add option to prevent sleep
- [Fixed]  iPad APP: Crash on connection loss
- [Fixed]  iPad App: Crash in graphics module
- [Fixed]  iPad App: Changing Mains to Mono was not blocked (caused crash)
- [Fixed in 1.12]  iPad APP: Crash on connection loss when in Settings page
- [Improved in 1.12]  iPad APP: behaviour of adjusting the stereo gain (mic input etc)
- [Fixed]  All remotes: MADIface Pro Assign channel list showed only 60 MADI channels

- iPad APP: add option for vertical 2 finger scrolling - Postponed to one update later
- Mac Workspaces of a host can not be loaded from a Win remote - Postponed to v 1.6
- Mac Workspaces of a host can not be loaded from a Win host - Postponed to v 1.6

Planned for the final release:

- Added in beta 4 - TM Remote: Firewall warning dialog if blocking is detected on program start
- Added in beta 5: User management in host for all remotes
- Added in beta 5: Storing/loading of ARC USB presets
- Added in beta 5: Toggle TM FX open close via hotkey and ARC USB
- Added in beta 5: Inst and +48V option for ARC USB buttons
- Fixed in beta 5: Fix Peak Hold Time setting (Windows)
- Added in beta 5: Try to recreate Z-order of multiple TM FX windows
- Added in final: extend number of Aux Devices to 16
- Fixed in final: Loopback state lost during sleep with power-off (FF400 and FF800)
- Fixed in final: ADM problem of UFX+ at double speed
- Fixed in final: TM FX crash when ADM is active and sample rate is changed to DS/QS
- Fixed in final: potential crash cause when the number of channels change
- Fixed in final: Dynamics level shown in panel only when activated from Host side

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX version 1.50 supports remote control over network (Final)

Quick Guide to TotalMix Remote

TotalMix Remote is a remote control for TotalMix FX v1.50 and up, to control the hardware mixer and effects in RME audio interfaces. TotalMix Remote mirrors the current state of the host system on the iPad and Windows/Mac computers - the entire mixing state, the complete routing, all FX settings, up to the level meters, and everything in real-time. TotalMix Remote supports up to three hosts with multiple interfaces each, allowing Apple's popular iPad and Windows/Mac computers to adjust all the mixer and FX settings from a distance, via Ethernet and WiFi.

Supported Hardware - Limitations

Supported hardware: TotalMix Remote communicates with TotalMix FX 1.50 or up. Any RME hardware that can be used with TotalMix FX is supported automatically.

Limitations:

• Mixer View & GUI - When connected the remote computer / iPad will immediately have the complete routing and FX settings of the host, including mono and stereo channels, but not the host's GUI setup, like panel states open/closed of Settings/EQ/Dynamic, FX panel visibility, 2-Row or 3-Row mode and channel width. Channel width states can be stored as usual per Snapshot and completely as Workspace, locally on the remote computer. They need to be loaded manually after loading a Workspace on the host in case a 100% identical view is required.

• Workspaces - the Remote shows the Quick Workspaces (hotkey W on Windows/Mac) stored on the host, and allows to remotely load them. It is not possible to save complete Workspaces with mixer state from the Remote, or on the Remote. The Workspaces saved locally include GUI information only (Channel state wide/narrow, Channel Layouts, window size and position) and further local settings, to be able to have personalized views on the remote computer, independent from the view on the host.

• Real-time behavior - can suffer when the network is overloaded or the WiFi reception is insufficient. Level Meters will stutter then and faders do not move smoothly.

• Background operation on iPad - is not possible. This should not be a problem as the Remote doesn't need to do anything in background, and when called up very quickly reconnects and synchronizes its state.

• State - is shown in the upper right corner (offline or connected), or the Mac/Windows title bar.

Quick Start

On the host, in TotalMix FX go to the menu Options, Network Remote Settings. Click Enable TotalMix Remote Server to start this service. Under Windows a Firewall warning will come up. Allow TotalMix Remote or it won't work. This dialog also shows the host's IP, like 192.168.1.45.

Make sure both host and remote computer / iPad reside in the same network. Start TotalMix Remote. On the iPad tap on the gear symbol in the upper right corner, then on Host Connection Settings. On Windows / Mac either the dialog comes up automatically or can be called from the Search Connected Hosts dialog. Type in the host's IP address (like 192.168.1.45) into the IP field of Host Connection 1, and make sure it is activated. The port defaults to 7009 and usually must not be changed. In case this port is unexpectedly occupied a warning message will be issued. Choose a different port then.

Tap Done on top or click Ok. In the mixer view the state should change from offline to connected within a few seconds.

Tip

The remotes have the option Sync Channel Layouts active as default (in Preferences). This option transfers the Layout Presets and the current Channel Layout state from host to remote. Apart from the channel width state this option makes a mirror-style setup most easy. But when using the remote as individual setup, make sure to disable this option to have independent Layout Presets on the remote.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for the dumb question but does TotalMix FX replace the older TotalMix? I notice that they have different names in the apps folder so they seem to co-exist.

Where do I find the official download of TotalMix public version incase I need to roll back? In the downloads area I only seem to find the HDSPe app and DigiCheck but I can't remember where I found Total Mix.

It will replace TotalMix when we provide full driver packages. For testing right now simply exit TotalMix completely, copy TotalMix FX into Applications, then start it. If you loose the original simply reinstall the last driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It will replace TotalMix when we provide full driver packages. For testing right now simply exit TotalMix completely, copy TotalMix FX into Applications, then start it. If you loose the original simply reinstall the last driver.

Thanks, I had a feeling that Total Mix was included in the driver package but wasn't certain.

I will test the new TotalMix FX app starting now.

Thanks.

6 (edited by Potscrubber 2018-02-03 23:47:54)

Amazeballs.  A dream come true, thanks RME!

The robust reconnection is very welcome and I speak after experiencing some very touchy live console remote apps.  CPU usage nominal.

Minor report: does not seem to pick up English locale for network connection dialogues "Cancel" (TMFX 1.5b2 & Remote 1.0b3) and help menus (Remote 1.0b3) "The help could not be called."

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Thanks for your feedback. The help is an extra file included in the Windows driver package then. It is the same as the normal TM FX help plus the PDF content linked to above. Maccies have the advantage that the help is part of the app, so they see it already. What do you mean with 'Cancel' - that is English...(?)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry I wasn't clear.  On my system Cancel is Abbrechen, and simarly the dialogue about the missing help is in Deutsch.  Everything else seems to be in English.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

Potscrubber wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear.  On my system Cancel is Abbrechen, and simarly the dialogue about the missing help is in Deutsch.  Everything else seems to be in English.

Thanks, will be fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

I'm now testing this network remote , it's working and I love it!

I'm posting here because I found something which might be a bug. I'm using Fireface UC with windows 10, and when I check "Enable TotalMix Remote Server " in Network Remote Settings, the front knob of the Fireface doesn't work correctly.
I uploaded a video so you can see the problem (I was always turning the knob counterclockwise) it's like the volume doesn't change smoothly...
https://vimeo.com/254189363

When I disable the Network Remote, the knob works correctly.
Anyone has same issue?

leif_tomo wrote:

I'm now testing this network remote , it's working and I love it!

Good to hear!

leif_tomo wrote:

I'm posting here because I found something which might be a bug. I'm using Fireface UC with windows 10, and when I check "Enable TotalMix Remote Server " in Network Remote Settings, the front knob of the Fireface doesn't work correctly. When I disable the Network Remote, the knob works correctly.

I can not reproduce this. My UC is on firmware 123 (135), with driver 1.113. Yours?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply MC,

MC wrote:

I can not reproduce this. My UC is on firmware 123 (135), with driver 1.113. Yours?

I was using the firmware 123 (135) and driver 1.099...I didn't know there was already 1.113.

I now installed the 1.113 and my knob problem is gone, thank you so much.

I edited post 1 with:

- Known Bugs / Issues / Changes (constantly updated)

- Planned for the final release

These will be updated constantly to reflect the current state of development.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Brilliant MC..  Had a an issue with port 7009 so changed to 7004.. all good thus far.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

All betas have been updated. Note that both TM FX are now on beta 3, both TM Remote on beta 4 (check the About dialogs to know what you currently use).  I updated download links and text/info in the first post of this thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Remote for iPad is out on App Store!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/totalmi … 71593?mt=8

Works great, thank you!!

Good find! Thanks!

Meanwhile it is also available in other app stores around the world.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did a concert recording last night.  As recording control was physically seperated from the producers, I gave them remote control of their own submix.  Connection at their end was a WiFi AP, 100 Mb ethernet at mine.  Everything worked great, and no problems noted.  Excellent work RME!

Madiface XT, totalmixfx_win_150b3, totalmix_remote_mac_150b4.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

19 (edited by ucxguy 2018-02-11 20:42:03)

Remote is working with Windows 10 system and new ipad pro,  but I get the message,  " No UDP data received...",  when I start the app on the ipad... message also says to check firewalls... I did and they show that Total Mix FX is allowed to pass firewall...I also tried turning off windows firewalls but this didn't help... Remote works,  but keeps "disconnecting and re-connecting" and so when I try to adjust any parameters,  I have a long delay before action... say 3 to 6 seconds before a response...any ideas???    thank  you...

And it's running fine on an ancient iPad 2 iOS 9.3.5.

This is fantastic MC!!  Working great!

----------------
----------------

Feature requests for the iOS app (I'm running it on an iPad Air):

Unless I'm missing something, it's not currently possible to scroll through the sidebar. At the moment the app requires to close menus so off-screen ones can be viewed. Here's an example of what I mean:
https://i.imgur.com/iHPoreh.png

In this case, the layout presets are partially off-screen and I'd need to close the groups menu to access them properly, which is a bit cumbersome. Scrolling through the sidebar would be much quicker.

Also the option to make scrolling a two-finger gesture (i.e. it scrolling requiring two fingers to swipe at the same time) would make it easier to avoid accidental fader adjustments (which I consider a potential health hazard).

23 (edited by Jayzteroid 2018-02-12 16:58:45)

Wow!
I'm impressed how fast the app works in my ancient iPad 2, which is painfully slow on every other task.
I did a quick test and only thing I found out was some osake with the name of one of my Snapshots. It has letter Ä in it. It seems Remote can handle the capital Ä, lowercase ä goes grazy. Not a big thing.
Its the same with TotalMix Remote for Windows.

Many thanks for making your products even more great!

http://files.sonicimage.fi/rme/TotalMixFX_Remote_Snapshot_name.jpg

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

I have feature request: can you add an option to prevent iPad from sleeping while TotalMix is active?

We will check. Until then you can disable sleep in the Settings, Display & Brightness, Auto Lock, set to Never.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Post 1 has been updated with TotalMix FX beta4, Mac and Win. It only fixes the Äy effect reported by Jayzteroid for the Snapshot names.

A lot more work has been put into iPad app 1.01 which is already available:

- Gain reduction level meters (Dynamics) sometimes not shown on some channels
- MADIface Pro and XT FX I/O level meters did not work
- Entering the Host IP address no longer requires Return key
- Added vertical scrolling for Control Strip

The suggestion for the No Sleep option came too late for now, but should be in the next one then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Moved some posts again to the TM FX Questions & Answers thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Installed TotalMix fx 1.5 today, and I'm very happy with the results. Found all working properly.

Remote app on ipad working well, and was so easy to set up, took less than a minute. 

Thank you RME.

Togspots, HDSP 9652 PCI, Cubase Pro 9.5, TotalMix FX 1.5  Scarlett 18i20, i7 3.4Gh 32GB ram

Simon-Claudius wrote:

Here's an example of what I mean:

In this case, the layout presets are partially off-screen and I'd need to close the groups menu to access them properly, which is a bit cumbersome. Scrolling through the sidebar would be much quicker.

+1

Also the option to make scrolling a two-finger gesture (i.e. it scrolling requiring two fingers to swipe at the same time) would make it easier to avoid accidental fader adjustments (which I consider a potential health hazard).

+1000!!!

This was the first thing I noticed when I tried the app on an ipad. I wouldn't even consider to use this live before this gets fixed!!

fripholm wrote:
Simon-Claudius wrote:

Here's an example of what I mean:

+1

+1000!!!

This was the first thing I noticed when I tried the app on an ipad. I wouldn't even consider to use this live before this gets fixed!!

+1

Anyone using TotalMix on an iPad for live work?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

It's a beta, give it a little time they will fix it.

Togspots, HDSP 9652 PCI, Cubase Pro 9.5, TotalMix FX 1.5  Scarlett 18i20, i7 3.4Gh 32GB ram

I 2nd this.

I think there is little bug. If i go to output ADAT15 (all Single Mono) in the iOS App 1.50 I have to see the fader positions of the ADAT16 connected Hardware and Software Inputs instead the ones i did adjust in the Windows TotalMixFX at my FirefaceUFX.
Regards Frank
Thanks for this nice App!

I don't understand. Can you try again, maybe with a screenshot?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

35 (edited by WayDownSouth 2018-02-22 12:12:25)

Man würde auf einem Screeshot keinen Fehler erkennen.
Die Sache ist aber ganz einfach. Ich habe im Windows-TotalMixFX alle 16 einzelnen ADAT Kanäle (Hardware und Playback-Input) jeweils ausschließlich zu ihrem gleich nummerierten Ausgang geführt.  Die iOS-Remote-App zeigt mir aber bei ausgewähltem ADAT-15 Ausgang nicht die Faderpositionen der Hardware & Playback Inputs vom ADAT-15, sondern die dem ADAT-16 zugeordneten an. Beim abwechselnden Anwählen der Ausgänge ADAT15&16 wird also am besten veranschaulicht dass die aktuelle (im Gerät aktive) Faderposition von ADAT-Kanal 15 nicht an die iOS-Remote-App übermittelt wird.

Got it - will be fixed. Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for great app. and updates, Mr. MC.

There seems to be some problem with HDSP9632/AI4S-192 AIO.
channels of AI4S can't be seen on iPad.https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/m/mashow/20180224/20180224022714.png?1519406849

HDSP9632/HDSPeAIO/AI(O)4S AIO/WCM9632/ARC USB
Win7px64/cubase10.5pro

Thanks for the info, will be fixed as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Instant setup ! Really great ! Helps when you want to have a look at your Babyface Pro levels but don't want to fill your laptop screen with another window (TotalMix).

Only wish for us lazy boys and girls, a "Don't sleep" option in Preferences, as previously suggested by an other user.

Thanks for this !

Philippe

BUG...

Cannot rename the Phones outputs..

I rename them in the settings but they keep resetting to "phones 1" etc...

I can rename the software outputs and the inputs... Just the phones outputs I cannot...

cheers

Where?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In Options/Channel Layout...

If I try and change the "Name (User) for PH 9/10 it doesn't save it and change it...

After I click OK it stays the same and if I go back in to the Channel Layout it still says "Phones 1" etc...

I know how to rename channels wink  But I don't know where you see the problem - iOS app, Host or Remote, Mac or Windows...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well then... Just writing "where" could be interpreted in a few ways..

The problem is with both the Mac Host for the new TotalMix FX...

And therefore it does not show on the iPad iOS app either as it slaves the names from the TotalMix FX on the host computer if I am correct...

I found that too: if you want to change the name of a control room section (one of "Phones 1", "Phones 2" or "Main") per "Change Channel Layout" under "Outputs", you can do it, but if you klick "OK" nothing changes in TotalMix. In earlier versions it did work. On the other sections there are no problems. I'am under Win10 and use the host application only.

It is only a small thing but in intention to be perfect...

Hi Matthias!!  This has been a truely amazing experience.. It's working so well here!!  I have not had a single issue!!

----------------
----------------

Windows 7 Pro hard wired to cable modem, FF802, iPad Pro version 1, Netgear Cable Modem/WiFi router.  Connects and works great for 4-5 minutes then TM on iPad closes unexpectedly.  Restart TM 1.5 and reconnect again works great for 4-5 minutes then again iPad remote shutdown.

Duff

Thanks. If we need more info I will get in touch. But first try the next updates coming soon, they might help already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi MC.

Thanks so much for this. Touch OSC was ok, but it's much nicer having the real deal smile. Personally been waiting awhile for this.

Had an original babyface for awhile, and upgraded to the UFX II recently.

Got 1.5 installed and installed the remote app on ipad. I allowed it through my firewall. Some things work, some don't.

It is getting input level feedback to the ipad. I can control the reverb from ipad as well.

Faders have no effect. They do not move on the ipad when moved on the PC, and do not move on the PC when moved on the ipad.  Also, ipad app does not read fader positions on load either (which makes sense since it seems to not see them at all)

Solo button also has no effect (though mute works)

That's about all i've done with it so far. Let me know if there's any additional data I can provide to help out. Can't wait until this is all working!

Thanks,
Jason

Windows 7 user. Downloaded 1.50 but it doesn't install. I open the zip file and there is an application which just launches rather than doing the usual install. I don't even think it is the right version because crucially the network tab in options doesn't show.

I downloaded the iPad app easily but am unable to try it until I can make 1.5 work in my PC