1 (edited by beatpete 2015-12-16 19:22:35)

Topic: Anyone using a HDSP card with PCIe adapter on X99 chipset? (Solved)

Is anyone using a HDSP card with PCIe adapter on X99 chipset? i've had the HDSP PCI working on my older X58 chipset (in a PCIe slot with adapter) but in my Gigabyte X99 UD3P it only partially works and get's seriously distorted when puhed at all.
I'm just wondering if it's just my motherboard or possibly a limitation in the new X99 chipset (no motherboards come with legacy PCI slots).

Re: Anyone using a HDSP card with PCIe adapter on X99 chipset? (Solved)

To answer my own question, I got my trusty old HDSP PCI card (rev. 1.7 connected to a Digiface) to work perfectly with a StarTech PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card!

http://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapte … d~PEX1PCI1

I'm running a Asus X99-a USB 3.1 motherboard with an Intel 5930k and 32 gig of Corsair DDR4 ram.
Lots more years left in this setup...

Interesting information. But even more interesting would be a photo of how you solved the height problem with the slot bracket in your computer housing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Interesting information. But even more interesting would be a photo of how you solved the height problem with the slot bracket in your computer housing.

I can't get at the computer at the moment to take a pic, but the PCIe adapter card has a slot where the bottom of the HDSP card slides into and for the top, I just used a 2 inch screw (and washer) the same diameter as the computer screw to screw into the slot. I's actually very secure and works a treat!

So the card rises a bit and needs space above the bracket within the housing. It also means this solution will not work with cards that have a connector at the top end of the bracket (many of ours have).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So the card rises a bit and needs space above the bracket within the housing. It also means this solution will not work with cards that have a connector at the top end of the bracket (many of ours have).

I guess not unless modification was done to the computer case, not necessarily a big deal...

Would the power requirements for the Multiface II cards work with this adapter? Would the molex connector have to be plugged into the power supply?

8 (edited by Timur Born 2016-08-15 09:39:02)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IE0dAcuwL.jpg

These kind of extender/riser cables should work and can help to circumvent the bracket/space constraints. You need to check all the pins/soldering points, though. The one I bought had one soldering pin bend over to its neightbor, which could have caused some kind of short circuit. I noticed it in time and just soldered the pin to its correct soldering point. Did some quick tests with HDSP Madi and AES, which both seemed to work without issues.

I also bought one of these ASMedia based cheap adapter cards, but it does *not* work at all. It's worth mentioning that mine comes with those small onboard condensers that almost look like resistors. It looks similar but not the same as the main image shown in the following Ebay link. The Startech one and the later images of the same Ebay link show big black condensers.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Internal-PCI-E-S … 281594e06b

Concerning the power requirements: The non working riser adapter needs to be plugged into the 4-pin power plug in order to power any card. On the other hand I also own another adapter that connects its internal PCIe card to an internal/external riser/adapter with two PCI slots. And while this also offers external power via SATA power plug it doesn't need any external power to power two RME cards at the same time (PCIe provides enough power on its own).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PCI-E-express-X1 … 4ad409662c

i removed the slot bracket from my rme pci card and installed it into this (plx chip):
https://img.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/9000_9999/9700/9760/9761/976175_ZB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

it fitted perfectly and you can fixate the pci cards screwwholes with cable ties to the slot bracket of the converter card.
it has very very little more crackle than with a native pci connection when i "underdrive" the buffer. smile

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, i7-6700, 2x KVR24N17S8/8 RAM
Win7 SP1 x64
RME HDSP PCI Card, Multiface & RPM

Hello DrainBamage,

Any chance you could take a picture or supply more information as to how you were able to "fixate the pci cards screwwholes with cable ties to the slot bracket of the converter card". 

Sorry I am having trouble visualizing how you did this and I am hoping to reuse my 9632 in a new computer build that does not have a legacy PCI slot.

Thank you for any help you can give.

eaglepass

Post 5.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME