Re: macOS Sierra and higher RME USB driver

Hi,
I recently had my logic board replaced and the issue of software playback channels 1/2 bleeding through 3/4 went away.
However panning in a DAW had no effect in the TotalMix app on the software playback channels. I did several total resets without any luck. So I just installed the fw mac 333 update that only came out yesterday in hopes that panning would return on the software playback channels. It did but now it bleeds over on 3/4 again.
If I play a stereo output from say Reason (sorry it loads up the fastest for demonstration ) it looks like this.
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/thecolorofthesun/Screen%20Shot%202017-07-18%20at%2020.46.36_zpsbcte9arh.png

Which is very similar to my original issue. Originally it was suggested to do a Total Reset, that did nothing. The other option was to make sure that the speaker set up in the Audio Midi app was set to stereo and not surround which it is. It's always been set up to stereo.
I've heard from some other RME UCX and UFX users that plugging and unplugging the jack cables can sometimes reconfigure the bleed issue or panning software playback issue. This hasn't resolved anything for me though.
The frustrating part about all this is this update came out yesterday and I thought would finally address the panning and bleeding issues but nothing has changed.
Is there anything else I should try? ? 

Also the USB Series Flash Tool will not update the UCX via USB. I selected the update button and nothing happens. Tried several USB cables.

> 've heard from some other RME UCX and UFX users that plugging and unplugging the jack cables can sometimes reconfigure the bleed issue or panning software playback issue.

I have never heard of such an issue before. Where did you hear about that?

I also am not aware of any fix as there is no bug or issue known. As far as I am aware you are the first and only person to report this, so I can not rule out that your hardware (UCX) might be defective.

But you are welcome to store the current (bleeding) state in a workspace file and send it to me for checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the 142 USB driver. It seems it has solved the connection issue between the June 17 MacBook Pro and the UFX (before the update, I had to unplug and re-plug the UFX to be recognized by the computer). But every time the computer is back from the sleep mode, I get this warning from TotalMix: «Mismatch detected - Channel and FX settings of Device and TotalMix are different». Not a big issue, just annoying.

Configure in "Preference" under "Device Handling subsection"
(X) Always init DSP device with TotalMix FX settings

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

FYI in case anyone else is having this problem...I had an issue under Sierra with my Babyface Pro not changing sample rates when opening  Nuendo. For example, if the session was at 48 but the driver was set to 44.1, it had to be changed manually. It didn't automatically change when I opened the Nuendo session (Logic didn't have this issue). I resolved it by rolling back to the previous v2.21 driver. So far all is good.

Attn:Mattias...Update...I just got a new iMac and the issue detailed in my previous post still exists with the latest driver. I again re-installed 2.21 and it works fine.

joelschwelling wrote:

FYI in case anyone else is having this problem...I had an issue under Sierra with my Babyface Pro not changing sample rates when opening  Nuendo. For example, if the session was at 48 but the driver was set to 44.1, it had to be changed manually. It didn't automatically change when I opened the Nuendo session (Logic didn't have this issue). I resolved it by rolling back to the previous v2.21 driver. So far all is good.

Hi,

I have some issues with the driver 3.03 on my macbook connected to a Fireface UCX and a Fireface 800.
The audio devices are connected with ADAT and worked great on my Windows 10 machine before.
When i switch the UCX and the 800 on and connect them by usb to a usb c hub into my macbook, the Fireface USB Setting screen keeps restarting. After like 10 times restarting it sticks on my dock. So when I select it in Ableton as my main sound output it drives my macbook really slow and can't almost use it. when I check the configuration at Audio MIDI setup in the preferences I can't find something wrong. When I start a youtube clip it won't play the clip and keeps loading. I did also made it my main audio device in Logic and it did play a clip but without sound. Also when I play something on my hardware I don't see any signal in Totalmix. I did reinstall multiple times the driver but without any succes yet. Once I disconnected the UCX from the 800 but nothing either.

Help would be great!
Thanks in advance

(macbook pro2017, 3.1ghz intel I7, high sierra 10.13)(RME UCX + Fireface 800 with USB/ADAT)

Did you allow the driver extension within 30 minutes after driver installation as described here??

https://developer.apple.com/library/con … index.html

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you allow the driver extension within 30 minutes after driver installation as described here??

https://developer.apple.com/library/con … index.html

Yes I did, found the RMEFirefaceUSB KEXT file in the library/extensions folder.

Fireface UFX w/fw & usb.  iMac with High Sierra.  New USB and FW drivers installed.  Unable to update firmware because New USB Flash Update Tool (fut_usb_mac) will not open.

Remedy?

The USB Flash Update Tool requires the UFX to be connected with USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Had to switch out of CC Mode.  Thanks.

63 (edited by hasseily 2017-10-22 14:39:48)

On High Sierra with a UFX II, the USB Flash Update Tool runs and sees the device. However, when I click "Update" nothing happens.
More info:
- The FireFace USB Settings app sees the device OK, and all seems well.
- TotalMix 1.43 doesn't see the device, nor does 1.42
- The FireFace UFX II has firmware 15, and the flash update tool wants to update to firmware 16

Did you read post 58? Reinstall the driver and check again if it works or must be 'allowed'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

65 (edited by hasseily 2017-10-23 09:21:59)

MC wrote:

Did you read post 58? Reinstall the driver and check again if it works or must be 'allowed'.

Yes I did, I'm not the kind to ask before reading up. I reinstalled. Ran TotalMix, the USB Settings App and the USB Flash Update Tool. Not a single one of these actions triggered a Systems Extension Blocked modal dialog. I checked the kext is in its place as well.

Update: Ok I see how to deal with this. When one installs the driver and runs the app within 30mn, nothing happens. Then one must go into settings > Security & Privacy, and allow the driver. There is no modal dialog at all saying that the extension is blocked.

So the steps are:
- install driver, reboot
- right away (within 30mn) launch the USB settings tool or TotalMix (they won't work) and quit
- open settings > Security & Privacy, and allow the RME driver

>  There is no modal dialog at all saying that the extension is blocked.

Yes, so far no one ever saw this dialog. Seems Apple's new system is already flawed from the start sad

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

67 (edited by bettlar 2017-11-27 08:57:12)

Hi, just here to confirm that the issue with the disappearing touchbar after unplugging the Babyface 1 still persists (plugged in with Apple's USB-C to USB adapter). Fireface USB Settings won't open (AKA immediately closes after opening).

Has anybody found a temporary fix for this? I believe I have one time brought the touchbar back after the MacBook went to sleep for a while (closed lid). REALLY don't want to hard-reset my machine the whole time.

2017 Macbook Pro 15", High Sierra (10.13.1)
RME Driver 3.03
Babyface Firmware 225

*Edit:
I think I have found the temp solution:
1. close lid of macbook
2. unplug power chord (nothing plugged in at this point)
3. wait for machine to go to sleep (once vents stop running)
4. open machine
5. touchbar pops back up!

Same happening with my Fireface UC connecting to the MBP USB-C, since day 1.
I had to switch back to using my NI Audio 10, which now also doesn't work properly with the new High Sierra upgrade.

Things used to be simple and working all the time, now everything fails non-stop.

Hello al! so i ran into this issue after installing sierra.Sound would work but the UI wouldnt show up! solution! ?? you go security& privacy and click" allow" .cheers

70 (edited by Florian.Streich 2017-12-03 13:15:38)

bettlar wrote:

*Edit:
1. close lid of macbook
4. open machine

Thanks for this temp solution!!

Other solution:
1. Send machine to sleep (even with power chord charging and plugged babyface)
2. unplug babyface
3. after this short power nap, touchbar still works

Hello,

I have problem with my `RME Fireface UC`, My system `MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.1`
I download last `driver`, and install, but `TotalMix` doesn't work, doesn't show window

I found a lot of errors, my console when I surf the internet I found that: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8184421

cherny.music wrote:

I found a lot of errors, my console when I surf the internet I found that: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8184421

having this too now since the newest high sierra update (10.13.2)

74 (edited by jurassic 2017-12-12 17:52:12)

Hey all

Also just updated to the newest update and nothing has resolved. I'm having a bit of trouble gleaning what are the best steps to avoid this issue?

Can anyone (Matthias please) summarize what are the best steps for avoiding this problem? Has it actually been resolved or are we still in tech update hell?

I've got a new 2017 MBP with a Fireface UCX. Connecting right now via a USB 2 B cable to USB C. Please confirm what are the best steps to avoid this nightmare!

Thank you!

High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Fireface UCX
Firmware up to date using USB series flash tool

(I've tried connection with a USB B - USB C cable and and old USB B -USB A via dongle and both cause the touch bar crash and then non recognition of Fireface)

This thread gets quite confusing, and your post doesn't help that. You are referring to the Touchbar crash, while in the posts right before yours talk is about a date bug, audio errors and Apple's latest 'Allow' user frustration technology (works 100%, though).

The touchbar is internally a USB device, and only Apple can prevent its crash and subsequently crash of the USB subsystem. There is absolutely nothing we or any other USB manfacturer could do.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

High Sierra [10.13.2]

Like just about everybody I have had zero success getting this to work.  I now know why.  The App download security setting has two options

App store only
App store and identified developers

The second choice is the default and it is silent with respect to unidentified developers.  I changed the setting to app store only, re-installed the software, which now required my approval, and rebooted.  At this point the security setting said it needed my approval to complete the installation of the RME software.  Once I approved it the Fireface UCX appeared in my Audio Midi app.

I checked for the files listed under de-installing the drivers in the manual and all were there except
/System/Library/Extensions/FireFaceAudioDriver.kxt.
However, I found it in
/Library/Extensions/FireFaceAudioDriver.kxt.

I still don't know if it will work, but everything seems to be in order so I am hopeful.

Mac Mini
Fireface UCX
Balanced output to Classe Power Amplifier and HSU subwoofers.

rbpeirce wrote:

High Sierra [10.13.2]I still don't know if it will work, but everything seems to be in order so I am hopeful.

Initial testing shows everything works, or at last fires up, except RME USB Series Flash Tool.  I connected a USB cable to the device to use this app but it will not start.  Anybody know why?

Mac Mini
Fireface UCX

I re-installed the USB drivers and now everything works.  I am currently flashing the device.  Next I have to confirm that it actually plays, but it is looking good.

Mac Mini
Fireface UCX

It plays.  I use Pure Music on a Mac mini.  The Totalmix interface was very intuitive and output is there.  Now I have to see if I can digitize an LP with Pure Vinyl.  However, it looks like it should work.

This is on High Sierra for those who have been having problems.

just got the device yesterday so I am pretty happy about the way it is coming together.

Mac Mini
Fireface UCX

I had to rebuild my machine from scratch with High Sierra 10.13.2 and the 3.03 driver works fine with my Babyface Pro (once enabled via Security and Privacy preferences page). Like others, I got no extension blocked message during installation (although interestingly I did get one when installing my Roland JD-XA driver so the Apple system is not completely broken).

The Fireface USB Settings app now has two new behaviours on my machine: (1) it launches/quits when the BFPro is plugged/unplugged (good) and (2) it opens its window when launching requiring the window to be manually dismissed (bad); previously the window would just momentarily appear.

Behaviour (2) above is not a big deal, just mentioning this in the interests of feedback.

I have the same sucker problem... (Fireface UC)
High Sierra 10.13.1

djpacee wrote:

High Sierra 10.13.1

Which is? Have you considered an update to OSX, just by the way?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
djpacee wrote:

High Sierra 10.13.1

Which is? Have you considered an update to OSX, just by the way?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for your message.
The TotalMix window can't open. I plugged the USB, the driver is ok, but the Totalmix can't work . Just stay in the bar.
I reinstalled the driver , restart the Mac, allow the system security. Not working for me, just stay in the bar.
I tryed reinstalled the Mac (Clean Install). Install again the 3.03 driver and the same error.
Please help my problem. I worked in a theatre, and I can't work with my brand new sound card.
Sorry for my bad English.
Thank you !

Has anyone found a proper solution to this yet?

As mentioned here, I really don't want to be forcing my mac to shut down all the time.

bettlar wrote:

Hi, just here to confirm that the issue with the disappearing touchbar after unplugging the Babyface 1 still persists (plugged in with Apple's USB-C to USB adapter). Fireface USB Settings won't open (AKA immediately closes after opening).

Has anybody found a temporary fix for this? I believe I have one time brought the touchbar back after the MacBook went to sleep for a while (closed lid). REALLY don't want to hard-reset my machine the whole time.

2017 Macbook Pro 15", High Sierra (10.13.1)
RME Driver 3.03
Babyface Firmware 225

*Edit:
1. close lid of macbook
4. open machine

I have a Fireface UCX that I bought around 2012 and a Mac and I just updated to high sierra and then updated my protools to version 2018.1 (whilst also keeping my older protools 10 on there as well) and now total mix has stopped working.

I then updated to 3.33 (version 1.43 MAC OS X (1) from the RME website which as far as I can see worked as the icon in the dock changed from the small meters image to a grey box with a volume knob and total mix written on it, which has now gone back to the mix icon after installing the 3.06 version which then stopped my Pro tools from fully loading so I went back to installing the 3.33 but the icon seems still the be the mix icon.

I did the:

1. System preferences:  security and settings - allow apps from apple & identified
2. install RME Driver 3.33
3. Restart

But then on this step

4. System preferences (Again) :  Click on the new button, which allow RME driver to be installed

Right away I go into system preferences and there is nothing regarding RME etc

Do I need to uninstall previous attempts and start with a clean slate.

No mix or matrix windows are visible and under the function menu they are greyed out.

I’m am not the greatest with computers but I don’t think I’m am all that stupid either, but this has me stumped and I have projects people are waiting on.

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

Sorted now, thanks for your help.

Hi Matthias

I've got my Fireface 802 running over FIREWIRE (w/Thunderbolt adapter) to 2013 MacPro on Sierra 10.13.3 with my old FF800 converted to AD standalone mode on ADAT1

Downloaded and reinstalled USB drivers from RME many times  but have not been able to BOOT the 802 via USB ~ Have you got any suggestions for me to help remedy this situation?

I have been told aggregates will work better if all devices are using the same protocol - in other words best not mix FireWire and USB devices? Enabling and attaching an iPAD is a good example - aggregate device refuses to sync/save to 41.4 and keeps trying to force the sample rate to 48000

You need to use driver 3.04:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_304.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Kindly Matthias I d/led and installed 3.04 above (twice)

FF 802 on USB still doesn't appear anywhere ~ under sound preferences, audio midi setup etc

FF USB Settings window displays FIRMWARE "v13" and Driver 3.04~ Have I got the correct FIRMWARE in my 802?

Do I need to remove prefs or FireWire settings on Mac before installing to make USB work? <shrug>

thanks, Pete.

You removed the FireWire cable? And you are aware of the 'Allow' problem in High Sierra (wrong thread, btw)?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 32#p128932

Driver 3.04 is only necessary if you run Aggregate device mode, otherwise it is identical to the current 3.03.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

91 (edited by peteyTwang 2018-02-22 17:52:00)

THANK YOU Matthias ~ Success!!

… I enabled the KEXT level permissions in Security Privacy settings and started running FF802 over USB 

HOWEVER - after my FF802 finally booted over USB I tried running LOGIC right away (without restarting again) and things were running smoothly until I had a >major< crash where the cursor turned into an Eraser - restarted many times to black screen >finally< my superfast MacPro machine booted again (like 30 minutes later!) and I  mounted the USB and did the FLASH UPDATE

Are there any other RME 'APPS' or missing items I need to look at or install in this broken link you posted for me?

MC wrote:

For High Sierra you will need to reinstall and then allow the applications to run as per https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG_RME … ion_EN.pdf.

Thanks again, Pete

MC wrote:

You removed the FireWire cable? And you are aware of the 'Allow' problem in High Sierra (wrong thread, btw)?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 32#p128932

Driver 3.04 is only necessary if you run Aggregate device mode, otherwise it is identical to the current 3.03.

92 (edited by Kta5 2018-02-25 22:07:03)

Hi,
I have an UCX (firmware v47) and a new Macbook pro 15", i7 (2.8Ghz) 16 GB ram, Intel Iris pro. OS X 10.13.3 (high Sierra).
I installed the USB drivers 3.03 and the soundcard is not recognized, TotalMix does not open.

I tried to reinstalled driver at least five times, it still not working. I reintalled High Sierra (clean installation) and again installed Usb drivers...i tried with older version Usb drivers 2.21.. nothing works...

I have and old (2014) Macbook pro 13" running Mavericks, and the UCX works perfect,  something is wrong with Sierra (wich i tried too) and High Sierra.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Sounds exactly like what I just experienced Kta5… Did you enable the KEXT level permissions in  OS X 10.13.3 (high Sierra) System Prefs Security Privacy setting?  see: https://developer.apple.com/library/con … index.html

Kta5 wrote:

Hi,
I have an UCX (firmware v47) and a new Macbook pro 15", i7 (2.8Ghz) 16 GB ram, Intel Iris pro. OS X 10.13.3 (high Sierra).
I installed the USB drivers 3.03 and the soundcard is not recognized, TotalMix does not open.

I tried to reinstalled driver at least five times, it still not working. I reintalled High Sierra (clean installation) and again installed Usb drivers...i tried with older version Usb drivers 2.21.. nothing works...

I have and old (2014) Macbook pro 13" running Mavericks, and the UCX works perfect,  something is wrong with Sierra (wich i tried too) and High Sierra.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

peteyTwang wrote:

Sounds exactly like what I just experienced Kta5… Did you enable the KEXT level permissions in  OS X 10.13.3 (high Sierra) System Prefs Security Privacy setting?  see: https://developer.apple.com/library/con … index.html

Thank you very much. Finally It works well. I did no find the approval alert before.

I noticed another problem.... When I use my fireface UC (with the latest driver/firmware), connected via USB 3 hub on my iMac, the audio performance of logic 10.4 is horrible dropouts  (stuttering when i'm saving a song during playback..

But when I connect my fireface directly to the USB port, logic runs smooth and fine....

I'm on Sierra 12.6....

hi i am mac os 10.12.6 user
i have one rme us interface
but when I turn on totalmix, nothing happens
when I turn on fireface usb settings, it will crash immediately
How do I operate

The installation version is now usb 3.04

97 (edited by psvennevig 2018-05-02 07:49:58)

Hi,

I have a problem I have never had earlier on my Mac pro 2013 with my UFX.
The problem came when I scratched installed High Sierra some months ago. And have stuck with all updates of High Sierra and with all new RME drivers. (Have not tested the old type driver yet)

The problem is:
From time to time, especially when there is a GUI change I get an intermittent break-up, crackling, loss of sync sound for apprx 1-3 seconds. After that all is good again.
I have not altered anything hardware wise.

Matthias? Heard of this? Anyone else with the same? I would rather not go back to Sierra.

EDIT:
It seems like a Coreaudio breakup. if recording at the moment, it ends up on the recording as well.
It dos not matter what buffersize. The problem is the same.

Best,
Pål

The GUI change breaks the USB transfer. You could try to use the older 2.21 drivers, they have a bit bigger safety buffers. Please try, although I don't expect that to help much.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The GUI change breaks the USB transfer. You could try to use the older 2.21 drivers, they have a bit bigger safety buffers. Please try, although I don't expect that to help much.

Yeah, I would also guess it is the GUI change and hence maybe AMD GPU drivers combined with USB. But it was sooo goood in Sierra.

Do you have experience with the problem in High Sierra Matthias?

Pål

Maybe a little bit better with driver 2.2.1, but not gone. Reminds me of the old days of Nvidia hogging the AGP and PCIe bus with Windows drivers.

Clearly APL broke something USB related with High Sierra compared to Sierra. Or USB and Coreaudio combo.