1 (edited by miar 2018-01-08 13:34:10)

Topic: Please help troubleshoot "interference" noise in Audio {RESOLVED}

Hi Guys,

I'm suffering from pretty significant computer/static/interference noise in my audio and am struggling to pin point the problem.  I can hear the noise with every mouse click, or key typed and pretty much anything quite visual on screen.  Like zooming in and out within DAW.  Or even just background tasks from the PC.  I hear it working away...  Its that "bitz! clicks! buzzing! noise.

I hear this noise in phones but most prominent in my Yamaha Monitors though I can just about mix still, its very noticeable.  Here is what I have gathered so far but most appreciate any advise on how to isolate the problem.

HDSP 9632 using unbalanced breakout cable the ships as standard going straight to phones and Yamaha (no analog mixer).

• I have tried unplugging all USB devices one by one (including mouse/kdb) but noise remains.
    Tried plugging all electrics into one socket and also separate sockets but noise remains.
    Tried changing RCA to TRS cables but noise remains.
    Tried changing RCA to TRS adapter to XLR (Balanced) but noise remains.
    Separated all audio cabling from electric cabling routes but noise remains.
    Can still here noise in BIOS (no windows/drivers loaded but all latest drivers installed anyway).
    Latest GPU drivers installed (Radeon HD 5450)
    Tried unplugging all electrics including screen and just using PC and Audio but noise remains.

I'm running out of ideas now.  I have read some info on buying a "Grounding loop" protector and pluging it into wall socket 1st but no idea if thats actually what I need.

Anymore ideas or experience resolving?

Re: Please help troubleshoot "interference" noise in Audio {RESOLVED}

Here you claimed in August that the new power supply solved the issue:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25839

If not, why opening a new thread now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Indeed I did.  Since then I have moved from KRK to Yamaha's and they are more revealing. 
I guess I just didn't notice the noise as much after the new PSU and in KRKs but its not gone away.

Understood.  Happy to move it and close this one?

So your speakers are too sensitive?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by miar 2017-12-21 22:07:30)

I'm not sure many would class Yamaha HS5's as too sensitive in general but I mostly keep RME Total mix at 50-60% main out volume.
I too have my Yamaha levels right down.  So in fact only when I push total mix to 100%, thats when I  begin pushing the HS5's.  And only for "loudish" referencing.  I do not mix at those levels and usually very low levels anyway.

So that "noise" remains even when Yamaha's are set at about about 3rd of there Max.   Also no difference to the interference no matter what output setting on the card.  -10db, +4db or high gain or indeed total mix volume muted.  It remains. 

I've also just discovered that if I disconnect Audio Monitors from RME outs, the noise disappears in the phones out so I'm getting somewhere now.  I'm just not sure if I get the balanced RME BO9632- XLRMKH which is only a few inches in lenght before it connects to my normal balanced cables would solve it.

Also wonder can you confirm the BabyFace RME BF-BOXLRMKH breakout XLR cable is compatible with HDSP9632?
Its slightly cheaper then RME BO9632- XLRMKH

Many thanks and apologies for splitting threads.  I will take note in future.

Then it is a ground loop issue. You need to remove the ground from the audio plugs that go into the monitor. Getting the balanced cable might not work.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

8 (edited by miar 2017-12-21 23:10:24)

Thanks Vin but might you have some advice on how I do that?

Is it buying one of those Groundloop adapters that I plug into wall sockets and then plug my extension adapter (for all my gear) into that?  I have never dealt with these issues and am out of my depht.  I fear having to open up a wall sockets or something.

And just to be ultra clear:  The noise can sometimes disappear for a little while depending on computer activity.  Example I here waves of interference when booting up from splash screen to desktop.  But if I don't get to work and leave it sitting there I can hear it calming down as the computer is not being taxed in anyway.  I had thought groundloops where constant interference no matter what the computer was doing internally at least.  ?

No it is just that there must be no ground connection between the audio card and the speaker ground through the audio cable. If you tell me what kind of plug you have in the audio card (cinch probably) and in the speaker and what options the speaker has I might be able to advice tomorrow.

Vincent, Amsterdam

10 (edited by miar 2017-12-22 00:10:23)

Hmmm not sure but the wall sockets are UK/Ireland

http://c3.thejournal.ie/media/2013/02/energy-usage-ireland-390x285.jpg

And my RME HDSP (PCI) computer and Yamaha HS5 monitors are all plugged into the same extension plug which goes into the wall socket.  (Note I have tried putting them on separate sockets completely)

https://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/686x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/5/250490-socket-4way-2m.jpg

For audio, I'm going from RME RCA into TRS Monitors but have also tried RME RCA into TRS adapter into Balanced XLR monitors.

I hope I covered all there but please forgive my ignorance to your suggestions asI'm not sure I follow what you mean.  After googling "ground connection" I realize I know nothing about electrics.  Many thanks though.

All you need to do is open the trs and remove what is connected to the ground.

Vincent, Amsterdam

That usually does not work as desired. The low level unbalanced signal is then travelling all the way through earth connections over the power sockets, in a totally different way than the 'phase' wire within the RCA connection.

IMHO here the balanced connection will solve the problem, even without lifting pin 1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by vinark 2017-12-22 07:20:02)

Ok I thought that was a valid option, having signal connected to tip and ground to ring.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks MC.  Do you know if RME BF-BOXLRMKH breakout XLR cable is compatible with HDSP9632?

(They look identical)

AFAIK they are identical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think I have to try it now.  Will advise when I know for future interests.

Thanks again

The problem with those monitors is that internally they connect shield (audio cable + plug) to chassis ground, and thus earth. That's where the a ground loop occurs. If you are using balanced XLR cables to connect the monitors then disconnect pin 1 (shield) on one side (usually monitor side) of the cable.

miar wrote:

I think I have to try it now.  Will advise when I know for future interests.

Thanks again

Hi there,

Did you get a solution to this?

I m asking bc i am working around a similar thing with my AEB8/O

19 (edited by miar 2018-01-08 13:36:37)

Many thanks all for your help.  I finally got the Balanced breakout cable and the issue is resolved.  No noise in phones/monitors.

miar wrote:

Many thanks all for your help.  I finally got the Balanced breakout cable and the issue is resolved.  No noise in phones/monitors.

thank you, that s great

Hello everyone, I am also looking for solution for my AIO (1.4 sn: 2373...). I have same problem like OP described with new monitor speakers (with previous speakers all was dead silent) Unfortunately balanced brakeout cable didnt solve my issue. Also i previously isolate L pcie bracket which reduced noise/buzz significantly before new speakers upgrade and desable all power states in bios (also tried all op tried). But still have severe buzz in my headphones out depending of CPU usage type.

I get through all topic in this forum with similar issues and i stumbled to detach pin 1 from xlr cable can resolve issue. As i am totally noob in all electronics related stuff, is it safe to do that? Is there some negative impacts on speakers/audio interface/PC?

Thanks

Pin 1 only connects to the shielding of the cable, there is no signal on that one. You can disconnect the solder on one side of the cable (usually the speakers' side) and thus break the loop that causes computer noise to travel along the shielding of all cables (XLR, USB, HDMI/DP).

If there is a strong radio-frequency signal close to your cables then the shielding might be weaker against it, but not necessarily. You need to try it yourself.

There are also ready-made adapters available with a switch to disconnect pin 1. But I find them too expensive for what they do and it's another pair of connections in the signal path.

I'm using these: http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/emc-series/nc3mxx-emc

Thanks Timur.
Detaching pin 1 from XLR cable solves whining CPU noise issue.

Will be great if someone could make complete sticky thread step by step guide and cover all solutions and workarounds.

Hi Guys,   I have same problem whit my speakers. How is it make it? Please photo or video?

Guys, Balanced breakout cable and my problem is gone! THX