Topic: original babyface does not show up as device in mac or pc

Hello all,

Firstly, I'll let out that I've tried my best to search the forum and google for answers to this problem.. Sorry if I've not succeeded, please refer me to a correct answer if this has been solved previously!

I'm trying to test a babyface that I'm considering to buy, but I cannot get my computers (windows and mac os) to acknowledge when it is plugged in.

I'm quite sure it is getting enough current, I've tried the double usb cable.
In mac os high sierra (I've seen the update and extra tip regarding the installation). The babyface does not show up as a device in finder, nor can I see it in the device manager in windows 7.

When I start totalmix, I cannot open a new totalmix window as the device selection window comes up empty. Also the rme fireface settings does not start up, it just flickers when I run it.

When the usb-cable is plugged into the babyface it lights up and is responsive to button clicks behaving as I presume it would act in stand-alone mode. I have tried connecting a microphone to one of the xlr inputs, but have not succeeded to hear anything via the headphone jack. I've also tried entering class compliant mode with no luck. Is the device some how stuck in stand-alone mode?

A friend who has a fireface uc, mentioned that he does a double click on the scroll wheel in order to switch between mac and pc, but I have not seen anything similar for the babyface when searching google.

Am I missing something basic here, is there anything else I should try or should I just return it to the seller?

Thanks for any help regarding this!
Jonathan

Re: original babyface does not show up as device in mac or pc

The unit most probably is in Class Compliant mode. The manual is on our website, with an extensive chapter about CC mode and how to enter/leave it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC!,

I'm not so sure it is in CC-mode.

I have tried entering and leaving CC-mode by holding down select and recall-buttons while connecting the usb-cord on the back of the unit. Level meters are not rising to red to indicare CC-mode.

Also the documentation states that the babyface will be detected by windows, but without rme and with serial number. This does not happen here, it is not detected at all.

Could there be something wrong with the usb-port?

When I power up the babyface both led meters are on the second lowest level, the left one is blinking. When I scroll the level changes and I can switch between right and left to both by pressing the scroll wheel, select takes me from in to out level settings and so on...

I have not installed drivers on the windows computer, just seen that it is not detected.
The guy who is selling it, says that it was used in windows the last time a couple of years back.

any more tips to try out anyone?

According to your description the unit's USB port is dead.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Are you using the dual lead USB cable? If you only connect the thinner cable, that one is only for extra bus power. The thicker cable carries data.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Good idea smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Jeff,

Yeah I've tried both using the dual, a single and either of the two halfs of the double cable.. smile
No luck so far.

Thank's for the suggestion, if you have any more ideas don't hesitate to post! big_smile

9 (edited by vinark 2018-03-13 20:31:31)

Another usb cable!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Have tried four so far.. smile