Topic: Babyface Pro - Complicated & Too Much Noise! Please Help

Hi,

This is my first post, and also my first time using my new Babyface Pro, so please be patient with me. 

First of all, I have used many USB audio interfaces in the past, from different famous brands including Yamaha, Focusrite, PreSonus, TASCAM, and M-Audio, and all of them were straight forward to setup and worked flawlessly.

I wanted to go to the next level and upgrade to a 24-bit/192kHz USB audio interfaces.  According to many reviews, Babyface Pro seemed to be the perfect choice so I order it accordingly.  Installation was smooth and straight forward, however, getting the sound out of the Babyface Pro was very hard and took me over an hour to figure it out!  This gave me a bad first impression in term of user friendliness!!

Anyway, the major problem I am facing now is when I connect my Blue Yati Pro microphone to the XLR input of my Babyface Pro.  The audio signal is not clean at all as I can hear too much noise!!  It is totally unacceptable!  Using the built-in USB audio interface of my Yati Pro produces clean signal, and I was expecting to get a far better results with the Babyface Pro but it is the other way around!

I am not sure, maybe I am doing something wrong with Babyface Pro, but I tried everything I know and could not figure it out!
I am starting to regret that I bought this interface, but I am also willing to learn how to fix this big problem!

Any idea what is going on?

Also any idea how to attache files to my post?  I want to attache a screen shot of my settings in RME Total MIX, and an audio file for you to hear the noise..

2 (edited by ramses 2017-02-08 08:37:30)

Re: Babyface Pro - Complicated & Too Much Noise! Please Help

Using TotalMix is easy, but you need to take a little time to understand one time the basic concept.

Quick start:
1. You assign Main Output and Phones for the control room in TotalMix
2. Easiest for starter is to use the submix mode and then to create for each hardware output (lower row)
   a submix of its own.
3. Then you can store typical setups using the snapshot buttons.
4. Save workspace, snapshot to a file so that you do not loose those settings
5. In Workspace Quick select you can save this combination in one of 30 slots for easy access.
6. if you want your interface to be initialized by TotalMix FX each time you reboot then you can
    set this option in the preferences, then you do not become asked on each reboot, whether

Then please look RME videos, they give you a very good overview, looking at these you get best overview of operation and possibilities: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

You can also look into the handbook.

Place a screenshot i.e. on dropbox, right click to the file on dropbox to get the external link to the file.
And this URL you use here to include an image. See the image symbol on top of the editing box.

Your Blue Yeti Pro seems to be a combined USB / XLR Microphone.
What looks strange to me is, that the Micro's XLR Output has 5 pins, normal XLR Mics have only 3 pins.

Condenser Micros require +48V phantom power...
Did you enable phantom power for the Babyface Pro Micro Input ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

Many thanks for your reply.

Please download the screenshot and audio file from the following links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqu0tkx2bhop6 … x.jpg?dl=0

As for your comments, yes the Blue Yeti Pro feature a digital USB and analog XLR, but it can not be used at the same time, meaning I can use it as either in USB mode or XLR mode, but not at the same time, so there is no fear of conflicts.

As for the pins, the connector on the Yeti Pro uses 5 pins because it is a stereo microphone.  Most microphones are mono, thus it uses 3 pins connector.  However, the Yeti Pro comes with  XLR breakout cable which convert the connection from stereo to  two mono XLR outputs.  Here is how it look:

So, I am using both XLR mic inputs in the Babayface Pro.

Finally, yes  48V phantom power is enabled otherwise the mic dose not work at all.

As I said before, I am suffering from a high noise level during recording and playback, and even at ideal!

The stupid restrictions on this forum dose not allow me to put more than one link in every post which is totally ridicules and stupid and dose not make any sense!!!!

Here is a link for the audio file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju75krhhxtx9w … n.wav?dl=0

This forum has too many stupid restrictions!!!  I even have to wait for at least 60 seconds before I can post again!!!!  Total non sense!!!

Here is a link for the breakout cable:
https://i0.wp.com/geardiary.com/wp-cont … &ssl=1

6 (edited by ramses 2017-02-08 15:33:36)

Aboammar wrote:

Here is a link for the audio file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju75krhhxtx9w … n.wav?dl=0

What I hear could be background noise or noise produced by the mic itself.

I can't hear that much noise, what do you mean in particular ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I just received an email from RME support, and told me that noise is the background noise, and I am sure it is not.  So I did a quick test to record the acoustic background using the BabyFace Pro interface, and the Yati Pro USB interface, and there is a big dirrence.

Please listen to both files.

BabyFace Pro interface:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejge080oduj6v … o.wav?dl=0

Yati Pro Interface:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw8k5vg8d0ye6 … e.wav?dl=0

The BBF Pro has an excellent Signal to noise ratio.

I am pretty sure that the BBF Pro Micro inputs have more gain, so it makes the background noise better audible when recording.

If you record via USB it takes a different signal path compared to XLR analog.

I think you simply record at different Gain levels and simply compare chicken with eggs.

Hi guys ..

I went to a music showroom in Dubai, and tried there my Yati Pro mic with the store's M-Audio interface using my XLR cables, and the signal was very clean and no audible noise.  I also bought a new mic, a Sure SM27 which I also tried it there with the store's M-Audio interface using my XLR cables as well.  Again, the signal was very clean and no audible noise!

I arrived Cairo last night, I tried today my new Sure SM27 with the Babyface Pro interface, and this time the noise is even worse and sounds more like a static noise!!  This indicates to me that the problem is from Babyface Pro.  Please check the audio file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ezxuxx0x … e_SM27.wav

This is a user forum. Write to RME support by e-mail. In a bad case of luck the unit is faulty, but I would wait what RME finds out and suggests to you.

12 (edited by Aboammar 2017-02-11 18:33:26)

ramses wrote:

This is a user forum. Write to RME support by e-mail. In a bad case of luck the unit is faulty, but I would wait what RME finds out and suggests to you.

I did sent to support.  I am just trying to get a quicker feedback by posting here as well.

I listened to the file and as far as I can hear this is a defect. A bad capacitor. I have heard it before on different occasions (not RME) and it was always this.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

14 (edited by F1-Fanatic 2018-03-11 18:49:28)

Hello,

I saw your post when searching for other people who might have been experiencing the same problem as I have encountered with the Babyface Pro unit.  First, allow me to thank you for making your post and expressing exactly what I too have experienced with this unit, difficult setup and lack of intuitiveness, and really horrible noise.  The noise at first I was beginning to think was something I must have done wrong based on all of the stellar reviews that the unit has received in addition to the incredible specs as advertised by the manufacturer.

The first problem I had was the day I received the unit I received notification stating that some units were shipped as "defective" and requesting that the interface be returned to the manufacturer for replacement.  I was upset because I waited so long to get the interface (first production run), and now I would have to wait another few weeks for a new one to be shipped..   Because the unit had such great specs and there was a buzz  about it's performance, I waited.  Sadly when the new unit arrived, I was diagnosed with cancer, and that placed my audio recording and anything non-health related on the back burner. 

When I got well, I decided to connect things and give it a try, downloading all of the new drivers, etc and going through all of the nonsense to get it working I made a close to a friend of mine (who happens to be a Grammy Award Winning Engineer and Producer) and asked him if I should turn my powered monitors down and control the volume from the monitors instead of the interface because when I turn the monitors up and try to attenuate the volume I hear this horrible hissing noise that is just unacceptable.  He told me no, the monitors should be turned up and the volume adjusted from the BABYFACE Pro...  I again did what he said, and the noise was horrible.  So he asked me if I had any other interface around that I could swap out, as a means of eliminating the fact that it could be a cable, the monitors, my computer, or the interface.  I swapped out the RME BABYFACE Pro with my Apogee One, and the noise was GONE!  So now I don't know what to do in order to get this unit replaced..  I cannot go back to the company where I purchased it because of the length of time from when I purchased it, and I don't think the manufacturer has a representative here in the US to get this resolved.  How did you resolve your noise issue, was it defective like I believe mine is too?  I'm so disappointed with this purchase. 

Thank you for reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

My experience with REM Babyface Pro was very negative, and RME technical support was even worse! 

I got in contact with a support guy named (Daniel Fuchs) who was not helpful or responsive as he kept stalling many times with non-sense replies!  He often assumed that the problem was always related to anything except to the REM Babyface Pro, even though it was very obvious and clear that the problem is from the interface itself.

When I finally proved to him that my unit was defective, he simply implied that the unit is "in need of service" .. meaning that I should send it for repair!!!!   I totally refused that and made it very clear that I want a free replacement with a new unit.  After that he totally ignored me and never replied until today!  It has been over a year now and I never heard from him! 

However, I did not keep quite and wait forever for him to reply, so I contacted Amazon.com and explained to them the situation.  Amazon was so great and very responsive, and they sent me a free return label and issued me a full refund right away.

I then ordered Roland UA-S10 Super UA from B&H for almost halve the price of the REM Babyface Pro and I have been very happy with it.  Very clean signal, and very user friendly.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … er_ua.html

RME support speaks about this company and how they treat its customers "after sales" and because of that I will never ever buy RME products again, and I advise you to do the same ..

It definitely sucks to get a faulty unit but there is nothing extraordinary about it, just some bad luck, covered by a warranty agreement.

Regarding "unintuitive" setup, yes, it can be so, I can understand, but at the same time it is a complicated professional device, not some toaster, so it is reasonable to expect the user to check the perfectly written manuals, watch some videos and to learn the things around.

To my ears your audio example sounds like it is indeed some background nose recorded, like from your PC fans/HDDs. Although it is impossible to tell.

Then if you sure the device is faulty - just follow the steps in your warranty agreement, which usually, to my understanding, you have with your dealer, not with RME directly, so it is how things works. It should be clearly stated if it is a repair, refund, new device, during what period, who pays for returns, etc.

RME do a great job allowing users to communicate with the developers on this forum, good luck finding it with Roland.

I'm really sorry for your bad luck. I would be upset too. But personally I hope to see myself getting some next RME device in the future and I definitely actively telling others about my extremely positive experience with RME (fingers crossed).

Hello,

Aboammar wrote:

My experience with REM Babyface Pro was very negative, and RME technical support was even worse! 

I got in contact with a support guy named (Daniel Fuchs) who was not helpful or responsive as he kept stalling many times with non-sense replies!  He often assumed that the problem was always related to anything except to the REM Babyface Pro, even though it was very obvious and clear that the problem is from the interface itself.

Please understand that I was trying to help to find the cause, and at first it seemed like the issue could be related to other factors, like the microphone. I could not see what you saw or heard in your own studio. After you tested another microphone, it seemed clear there was an issue with the BF.

When I finally proved to him that my unit was defective, he simply implied that the unit is "in need of service" .. meaning that I should send it for repair!!!!   I totally refused that and made it very clear that I want a free replacement with a new unit.  After that he totally ignored me and never replied until today!  It has been over a year now and I never heard from him!

I replied to each and every mail of yours. However, I made it clear that RME Tech Support can not help directly with repair, exchange, or other such services. These are things you need to discuss with the retailer who sold you the unit. Any warranty claim or service/repair matter has to go through the retailer or the local distributor, if a device was purchased through this distributor's channels. In your case, you bought the unit abroad, which makes matters more complicated.

Please let me quote my last mail to you:

"From what I can gather on Amazon, this retailer seems to be based in the US. Therefore, even a local representative in Egypt would be unable to handle this as a warranty issue. I'm afraid you will need to contact the retailer or Amazon for warranty services or a possible exchange. There is nothing I can do from here as far as service is concerned, sorry. "

After this mail (Feb. 15th, 2017), you did not reply to me any more. I am glad to hear that Amazon helped out, as they are supposed to. If you decided to replace the Babyface with another manufacturer's device, instead of asking for a repair or an exchange for a new unit, that is your personal decision.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

18 (edited by Aboammar 2018-03-12 02:21:00)

Hi Daniel,

You are correct .. I am sorry it seems I mixed up things and confused this case with a very similar mater I faced around the same time but it was with different company!   I apologize for the confusion!

However, my opinion about the Babyface Pro is still valid as beside the defect problem, I found it complicated and not user friendly, and that is one of the reasons I returned it and bought the Roland UA-S10 Super UA, instead.