Topic: Question/suggestion regarding volume on the ADI-2 DAC

Hi!
I'm really interested in buying the ADI-2 DAC. I went through the manual and did not find my answer.
So I decided to ask here and if it's not available then this is gonna be a suggestion.

The ADI-2 DAC is more oriented towards the HIFI users...

Is there any option to lock the volume for a certain output.

I mean, I get it that some users will use the unit as a preamp and needs a volume.
But for some others like me, it would be use only as a dac and the output will be plugged to my analog preamp which happens to also accept a phono cartridge...something the ADI-2 won't do.

So If I was going only digital, I would probably use the volume on the ADI-2 DAC and have a power amp.
That would be good to have an option to have set a fixed output.(and still have the volume working on the headphones)

Thanks!

Re: Question/suggestion regarding volume on the ADI-2 DAC

That is the case without locking. Volume is treated separately for all three outputs (rear, Phones, IEM). So when you switch to phones or plug them in you can set their volume. Returning to rear the formerly set value is back. As long as you don't actively change the volume during rear output usage it will stay unchanged.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-03-15 07:35:25)

Does your analog pre-amp have a digital output (optical or coax SPDIF) ?
Then you could use the dnymic loudness and everything of the ADI-2 DAC.

I am using the ADI-2 DAC for different digital sources with optical SPDIF output:
- UFX+ as player
- Plasma TV
- Bluray Player

I am using the Oehlback Optosel 4:1 to select between the digital sources in front of the ADI-2 DAC.
Then I can make use of every cool feature of the ADI-2 DAC:
- D/A conversion quality
- Dynamic Loudness
- Analyzer

If you could bring your Preamp into the front of the ADI-2 Pro then also your analog sources could benefit from that,
but of course you would have one additional AD conversion in the path then.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

That is the case without locking. Volume is treated separately for all three outputs (rear, Phones, IEM). So when you switch to phones or plug them in you can set their volume. Returning to rear the formerly set value is back. As long as you don't actively change the volume during rear output usage it will stay unchanged.

Thanks for the reply!

I knew that. Would just be great to have the "locking" function so the wife and the kids don't mess with the volume on the RME remote... but not that much of a big deal.

ramses wrote:

Does your analog pre-amp have a digital output (optical or coax SPDIF) ?
Then you could use the dnymic loudness and everything of the ADI-2 DAC.

I am using the ADI-2 DAC for different digital sources with optical SPDIF output:
- UFX+ as player
- Plasma TV
- Bluray Player

I am using the Oehlback Optosel 4:1 to select between the digital sources in front of the ADI-2 DAC.
Then I can make use of every cool feature of the ADI-2 DAC:
- D/A conversion quality
- Dynamic Loudness
- Analyzer

If you could bring your Preamp into the front of the ADI-2 Pro then also your analog sources could benefit from that,
but of course you would have one additional AD conversion in the path then.

No I don't have a separate preamp. Actually, my current amp is a peachtree audio NOVA 150 and the reason I bought it was because of it's integrated DAC. But in the end, I hate it. I guess I'm not a sabre guy.
This implementation makes it "in your face". too much 1-2khz and missing 80-150hz.

This is one of the reason I want to start with the ADI-2 DAC plugged to my analog input. To be able to tweak it to my linking and my room. And later on, I will replace the NOVA.
I'd really like the new Mcintosh MA-252 (tube preamp, Solid state class AB power amp).
Gotta listen to it in my setup to know if it is powerful enough for my Bryston Middle T.

I'm not totally against bringing the analog to digital. But....
You know there's already many conversions....Players(analog instrument). Recorded in digital. Mastering is done in both digital and and outboard gear(analog). The digital files are then converted back to analog for the pressing...
There I would be bringing those vinyl into the digital world to be converted back to analog from the ADI-2 DAC.
That would mean 6 conversions instead of 4....
I was in the camp of letting what's in the analog domain there....but since there's not much these days, I guess it's only good for the old albums until the early 90's.

Thanks for the suggestion...

thj17 wrote:

would just be great to have the "locking" function so the wife and the kids don't mess with the volume on the RME remote...

We might add such a function at a later time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think it is the other way round. Every analogue device the audio goes through adds and detracts something. Intentional or not. AD-DA is as neutral as it gets especially nowadays. Digital has no problem what so ever with recording the analogue warmth of tubes and tape and reproducing it. In the beginning of digital it was a little harsh for 2 reasons. The digital filtering for Nyquist needed some development (which is now very very good) and productions went from full analogue to full digital without realizing analogue had some interesting qualities too. I produced records at the end of the analogue area and you were always fighting the loss of definition and high end at the end of the chain. When we went to digital this stress was hard to let go and some unpleasant albums were released (sound wise). There were even releases that used the prepared for vinyl masters for the cd. (We had to compensate for the loss when pressing so again harsh sound).
Cheers
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for your inputs and replies.

I do like both analog and digital formats.

I like  to sit and listen to vinyls when I'm alone at home.
But I really do enjoy digital when it comes to makes playlist or having some casual listening while cooking or having friends at home...or listening music with my kids.

Anyway the ADI-2 DAC is currently the only DAC I'm considering. In fact I think I will pull the trigger later this year.

Thanks again!

9 (edited by ramses 2018-03-16 08:05:38)

> Anyway the ADI-2 DAC is currently the only DAC I'm considering. In fact I think I will pull the trigger later this year.

Go for it, you will love it !

I cross checked ADI-2 DAC with a friends hi-end HiFi (Accuphase E-600, B&W 803D3) with an DAC-40 at the weekend.
The D/A conversion quality of both DACs is simply great.
For listening we choosed
a) songs with a good mix that we know
b) listened to film music which often have a surprising good and wide mix with much depth and low frequencies in it

Both DACs are simply great. 1st it was difficult to identify / classify the differencies.
But after a while - when listening closely to different materials where each song / mix has qualities of its own -
it sounded as if the newer chip in the ADI-2 DAC was better able to deliver the room information / the depth in songs.
With a very good HiFi you hear the "room in a room" information much better..
So in some songs it brought a bit more differentiation between the singer / voice in the front and the band in the back.

Where the ADI-2 Pro in this comparison really shines - compared to the "simple" D/A module in the Accuphase -
is the dynamic loudness function. This is the best thing - THANKS RME - that can happen to your HiFi  !!!

It it already very cool when using it for phones (ADI-2 Pro + Audeze LCD-3).
Now having the ADI-2 DAC sitting in front of a HiFi this is really a killer feature and make lower listening levels really a dream. Once configured you simply choose the volume as you like and "magic" is working in the background for you.

As I already mentioned, add / put the Oehlback Optosel 4:1 in front of the ADI-2 DAC and then you have the fun for all of your digital sources like TV, Blueray, PC Player, ... Then you can connect 4 digital sources per optical SPDIF and also have for this a nicely working remote control.

If you look at the prices what major players in the HiFi world like Accuphase take for simply a DAC module, then you can regard the ADI-2 DAC with its features as a real present LOL Especially if you some up, what other cool functions and features the ADI-2 DAC has for phones, in ear speakers: PEQ, etc etc ...

I think the ADI-2 DAC this is the best DAC, phone preamp, etc etc that you can get and with a quality / features density that is really amazing and this to a real stunning price.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by thj17 2018-03-16 11:29:51)

ramses wrote:

> Anyway the ADI-2 DAC is currently the only DAC I'm considering. In fact I think I will pull the trigger later this year.

Go for it, you will love it !

I cross checked ADI-2 DAC with a friends hi-end HiFi (Accuphase E-600, B&W 803D3) with an DAC-40 at the weekend.
The D/A conversion quality of both DACs is simply great.
For listening we choosed
a) songs with a good mix that we know
b) listened to film music which often have a surprising good and wide mix with much depth and low frequencies in it

Both DACs are simply great. 1st it was difficult to identify / classify the differencies.
But after a while - when listening closely to different materials where each song / mix has qualities of its own -
it sounded as if the newer chip in the ADI-2 DAC was better able to deliver the room information / the depth in songs.
With a very good HiFi you hear the "room in a room" information much better..
So in some songs it brought a bit more differentiation between the singer / voice in the front and the band in the back.

Where the ADI-2 Pro in this comparison really shines - compared to the "simple" D/A module in the Accuphase -
is the dynamic loudness function. This is the best thing - THANKS RME - that can happen to your HiFi  !!!

It it already very cool when using it for phones (ADI-2 Pro + Audeze LCD-3).
Now having the ADI-2 DAC sitting in front of a HiFi this is really a killer feature and make lower listening levels really a dream. Once configured you simply choose the volume as you like and "magic" is working in the background for you.

As I already mentioned, add / put the Oehlback Optosel 4:1 in front of the ADI-2 DAC and then you have the fun for all of your digital sources like TV, Blueray, PC Player, ... Then you can connect 4 digital sources per optical SPDIF and also have for this a nicely working remote control.

If you look at the prices what major players in the HiFi world like Accuphase take for simply a DAC module, then you can regard the ADI-2 DAC with its features as a real present LOL Especially if you some up, what other cool functions and features the ADI-2 DAC has for phones, in ear speakers: PEQ, etc etc ...

I think the ADI-2 DAC this is the best DAC, phone preamp, etc etc that you can get and with a quality / features density that is really amazing and this to a real stunning price.

Excellent!
Do you happen to know what are the chips in the ADI-2 DAC. I think I've read they are a pair of AK4990 just like in the ADI-2 PRO but not sure....

One thing I know....no ESS Sabre for my next DAC!

Thanks!