1 (edited by Gridlck 2018-03-25 00:14:28)

Topic: Spdif 192khz

Hi. I have the adi-2 dac and I'm struggling with music that has a 192khz sample rate played through an auralic aires le. It works fine through usb but I cannot get it to work through a coax spdif cable or a USB spdif converter into the same input. The dac doesn't appear to be able to lock on telling me that its not a music signal and that its found de-emphasis. At the moment I'm still trying to narrow down where the fault is. My worse nightmare is rme say its auralic and auraluc say its rme. 96khz stuff sounds fantastic though no hint of distortion or anything off!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-03-25 01:24:57)

Re: Spdif 192khz

Please detail the configuration.

Do you use only SPDIF coax or also optical SPDIF ? How long are the cables ?

How did you set clock on both devices. Which device is master, which slave ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Can you try different coax cables? Which USB SPDIF converter is this? Does it have SPDIF optical so you could try that too?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Gridlck 2018-03-25 10:10:34)

Hi. Thanks for the replies. This device needs to be coax only, I have a PC that's in another room fed into the USB for films, t.v etc and a ps3 on the optical. Now that's interesting, just tried optical and it works! I have tried 2 different coax cables but to be fair one could be dodgy, its a Kimber that was given to me. I've also tried a phono cable I had lying around with similar results. Assuming optical and coax come from the same source clock (which I remember auralic saying they do) then they should work? Does this narrow it down to the cable I'm using? The coax cables are both 75cm. As far as I'm aware with dac version, on optical and coax, the dac just uses the external clock so is slave and can't be set to master and use its internal clock? Hope this helps narrow it down. Was actually really surprised optical worked at this sample rate!!

A video cable with the correct impedance of 75 ohms might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Gridlck 2018-03-25 21:53:55)

Hi. Sorry if gave you the wrong impression. 2 of the cables used were correct spdif coax 75 ohm cables. I tried one which was an audio interconnect as a last resort. I'm having a new cable built by someone who will check it make sure it measures properly just to make sure. Can't see how it would make a difference unless the other cables were broken...

Edit: part of the problem is I can't ssh into the thing to get alsa to probe the devices. I don't have the passwords, if anyone knows them please let me know.

Edit 2: Sorry for the extra bits! I've borrowed one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYWPKU8/ … B0015LNV2M which works at 192khz on a friends leema elements dac. Optical (same signal that worked into the optical in on the dac from the aries) in, spdif out, same problem with both 75 ohm coax spdif cables. Works fine at 96 but cannot lock onto a 192 signal. Does this help narrow down the problem?

We will recheck, but that needs 2 or 3 days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just re-checked that at 192 kHz sample rate a coaxial SPDIF signal of about 250 mV peak to peak is enough for stable operation. Below that the lock errors and false Emphasis display mentioned above are shown, and a bit lower (200 mV) it stops working. The standard calls for typically 500 mV, so it seems to look good on our side.

As usual at lower sample rates the input is even more sensitive, operates correctly from 150 mV at 44.1 kHz.

Please note that SPDIF coaxial carries ground from one unit to the other. The signal quality might be affected by the power supply situation, which could be checked by reversing the ADI's PS plug.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Gridlck 2018-03-27 23:39:33)

The problem is not with aries, it has been tested with another (leema elements) dac and works fine and rem adi doesn't work witth the converter that does... Tried reversing the polarity, no change.

I may have to return it then as it doesn't do what its advertised to. Shame as i actually quite like it... It absolutely does not work for me as advertised.

Edit: I have changed the setup, music through usb, computer through optical and ps3 through the optical spdif converter as high sample rate never gets played through this. Not massively impressed by the work around but it works!!

FWIW I never had trouble with a Lynx AES16e -> AES/BNC converter -> BNC/RCA adapter -> ADI-2 DAC. No dropouts or anything of that nature.

Hi luckbad. Thanks for that, did you use it as 192khz? I've not had problems with the lower sample rates. But the high sample rates will not work with a singxer F1, a auralic aries or a optical - spdiff converter. I've not seen anything to suggest these devices don't work with other dacs at these sample rates.

As I said in my opening statement my worst nightmare is that rme say its auralic and auralic say its rme. Which is exactly what's happened...

No. I said that my unit works according to the spec. That does not mean yours does. To examine this further you will need to have your unit checked at your local dealer, distributor or RME, whatever fits.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Gridlck 2018-04-06 01:15:48)

Thanks for all your help. Aralic recommended a  aes to coax converter so I got one of these:

https://www.studiocare.com/neutrik-aes- … -dpd.html?

It seems to actually do the job. I had a good bnc to coax cable already which helped. Thanks for your patience. Really like the way the dac sounds and the features so didn't really want to return it.

In the blurb for the dac it says that the spdif input can take an aes signal with a converter. Is this the type of converter you mean or is there something else you would recommend.

Hallo wertes RME Team

Ich habe mir vor ein Paar Tagen euren tollen adi 2 dac für meine Hifi Anlage zugelegt.
Leider habe ich das gleiche Problem wie hier beschrieben mit dem Coax Anschluss.

Ich betreibe einen Technics ST-C700 Netzwerkstreamer, welcher per coax angeschlossen ist. Flac Files bis 96 funktionieren tadellos. Sobald ich jedoch 192er Files abspiele, kommt die Meldung: "Emphasis detected". Dabei ist mir aufgefallen, dass die Samplerate verrückt spielt. Sie blinkt rot und veränderet sich stetig (96,191,192 usw.) Ebenfals wechselt das Gerät immer wieder zwischen internal clock und spdif cock

Habe den Adi 2 nun via optical angeschlossen und siehe da: Allea funktioniert wie es soll.

Habe die Files übrigens mit zwei anderen DACs getestet. Der Coax Amschluss hat da einwandfrei funktioniert...

Habt ihr eine Idee?

Grüsse aus der Schweiz.

Bitte den Support kontaktieren und auf mich verweisen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Falls in der Schweiz gekauft, bitte direkt den örtl. Vertrieb kontaktieren (mit Link zu diesem Thread):

MusicNetwork AG
Contact person: Wolfgang Rohr
Lerzenstrasse 8
CH-8953 Dietikon
Phone: 0041-444542030
Fax: 0041-444542035
E-Mail: sales@musicnetwork.ch
Web: www.musicnetwork.ch
Support:   support@musicnetwork.ch

mfg
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ich habe (hatte) das gleiche Problem mit 192khz via koax spdif. Habe dann den Netzstecker (rme Netzteil und eine normale standard Mehrfachsteckdose) umgedreht und es war fast behoben. Der "state overview" zeigte danach sync und sprang gelegentlich kurzzeitig auf lock und wieder zurück auf sync.

Der BNC output von meinem Streamer (für den ADI 2 DAC nehme ich einen BNC zu RCA Adapter und ein Sommercable Vector RCA digitalkabel 75ohm) ist auf 1V output level eingestelt.
Ich kann den output level auf 600mv reduzieren, dann spielt der ADI 2 DAC aber nicht mal mehr 96khz Dateien ab (kein Ton, keine Anzeige). Leider kann ich den tatsächlichen output level nicht messen.
WM8804 spdif transmitter.

Nachdem ich den output level wieder zurück auf 1V pp gestellt habe funktioniert soweit alles einwandfrei, auch 192khz zeigt konstant lock im state overview. Vielleicht wollte der Jumper einfach mal bewegt werden?!

Woran kann das liegen und was hat mit der Position des Netzsteckers zu tun? Brauche ich jetzt eine audiophile Steckdose?

BItte den Support kontaktieren. Geräte mit einem solchen Problem werden geprüft, und falls sich der Eingang als zu unempfindlich erweist kostenlos repariert.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oder direkt an service@audioag.com, sofern in Deutschland gekauft....

mfg
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME