Topic: ADI-2 DAC multi-interface operation - 3xADI-2 DACs? 6ch?

Hello,

The wonderfully extensive manual of the ADI-2 DAC skimps on the Multi-Interface part smile

What is it?
Can it be used to connect 3 ADI-2 DACs using USB with the ASIO driver to the same Windows PC in order to get a fully synced 6ch DAC and play 5.1 content from ASIO supported software like Roon and JRiver?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: ADI-2 DAC multi-interface operation - 3xADI-2 DACs? 6ch?

This unit is usually used as a single solution. For USB multi-interface use there is no way to clock sync them (one must be master, the other slaves). But no sync output (like AES or SPDIF) exists.

Multi-interface use is possible with an ADI-2 Pro, as it has all the means to sync several units. But that is also a very seldom application, at least with that unit. I do it daily when testing and measuring, but the high demand on USB resources (due to it supporting 768 kHz) requires to put every ADI-2 Pro on separate USB busses.

One Pro can be the master for 2 more ADI-2 DAC (via SPDIF optical and coaxial), but then you basically don't need to run the DACs via USB anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I do it daily when testing and measuring, but the high demand on USB resources (due to it supporting 768 kHz) requires to put every ADI-2 Pro on separate USB busses.

That would be easily doable with a desktop PC, 1 free x4 PCIe slot and this card: Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by ronkuper 2018-04-08 09:47:59)

MC wrote:

This unit is usually used as a single solution. For USB multi-interface use there is no way to clock sync them (one must be master, the other slaves). But no sync output (like AES or SPDIF) exists.

Multi-interface use is possible with an ADI-2 Pro, as it has all the means to sync several units. But that is also a very seldom application, at least with that unit. I do it daily when testing and measuring, but the high demand on USB resources (due to it supporting 768 kHz) requires to put every ADI-2 Pro on separate USB busses.

One Pro can be the master for 2 more ADI-2 DAC (via SPDIF optical and coaxial), but then you basically don't need to run the DACs via USB anymore.

Thanks, I understand.

I guess the remaining option (if I want to have the ADI-2 DAC with it's consumer features) is to use a multi-channel SPDIF interface like the MiniDSP U-DIO8 and set the ADI-2 DAC SPDIF clock to external source.

My fear with that option (on top of the extra cost of the U-DIO8) is that it basically offload the great ADI-2 clock to a clock of unknown quality / De-Jitter specs.

I salute you guys @ RME for the consumer efforts with the ADI-2 DAC, I hope it'll be a commercial success and even posted my own raves on it on computeraudiophile.com.

If you are open to suggestions from the community then me and my friends know for a long time that there's an untapped market and a big gap for consumer multichannel interfaces options.
not necessarily just for Video or 5.1 music content but also for integrating a subwoofer or two into an audiophile system (2.1ch, 2.2ch) and sometimes also doing a 3way active crossovers (btw both are applications which the ADI's DSP could be uniquely helpful, although not a must to begin with as we can and do use software DSP available in JRiver/Roon and others).

Some people are using pro audio gear for that purpose today, but it is not ideal for many reasons. Others, like me, use an HDMI prepro just for the multichannel and keep waiting for the one DAC to rule them all (ADI-2 DAC came really close).

We don't need format licensing and AVR features - we do it all in software - decoding, upsampling, DSP, Room Correction, etc. 

I'll be happy to share more

In any case having an ADI-2 DAC with even just one more analog output would be a boon to JRiver, Roon, Computer Audiophile and ASR communities. 6ch/8ch will be a game changer. Stacking/chaining (like in Pro) is also an options but will diminish price attractiveness.

Sincerely,
Ron

The clock will not suffer at all. SteadyClock FS will clean whatever you throw at it.

The 'consumer' style of the DAC involves another problem with multiple interface use: the remote will not be able to speak to a specific unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The clock will not suffer at all. SteadyClock FS will clean whatever you throw at it.

Interesting! Even with the external interface as the master clock?

MC wrote:

The 'consumer' style of the DAC involves another problem with multiple interface use: the remote will not be able to speak to a specific unit.

Yes I realized that, software volume is the option (could also be remoted). Or if by chance the ADI's would pickup signals from one remote and act on them in tandem that would actually be what's required for this use case smile

ronkuper wrote:
MC wrote:

Of course. Else what would it be good for?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ronkuper 2018-04-08 10:52:53)

MC wrote:
ronkuper wrote:
MC wrote:

Of course. Else what would it be good for?

That's great!
Would you care to explain how would that work? Or share links?

Reading what I have I assumed connecting to an external clock to stay in sync with other devices / using internal clock for reclocking are mutually exclusive by definition. I'll be happy to correct my understanding.

I still stand by my suggestion for a multichannel consumer DAC offering. Look at that market... There's the U-DAC8 for a few hundred bucks and unknown qualities and then there's the exaSound e38 for almost ~$4K with substantially less features than the ADI-2 DAC - nothing in between.

I thought to ask about the ADI-2 DAC specifically since I know it's Pro sibling on the same platform is multi-channel capable, although not in a practical way for consumer use cases.

ronkuper wrote:

Would you care to explain how would that work? Or share links?

I found these articles in the past in regards to SteadyClock, maybe this helps you already a bit on this topic ?
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/rme-designs
https://www.rme-audio.de/english/techin … yclock.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. The DAC manual's chapter about SteadyClock FS should be sufficient to explain this point.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Let me jump in and support Ron's inquiry.  I have been working with multichannel DACs for years and Ron's assessment is correct:  There are only 3 consumer multichannel DACs and they are priced at $300, $3800 and $12,000.  (There is a unicorn at $125,000.)  It is apparent that the market is huge but there is a demand and it would be most effectively met by being able to use a trio (or quartet) of off-the-shelf stereo DACs. 

I have done this with some Mytek DACs (https://www.stereophile.com/content/mus … hannel-mqa) and Benchmark has done demos of it.

The Mytek setup today relies on the ability of the Mac OS to create "virtual" sound cards but it is fiddly and unreliable.  The Benchmark setup relies on a rather pricey (for most consumers) I/O card that must be installed on the server chassis.  There was an older Mytek setup which used a proprietary ASIO that was quite solid but it is no longer offered.

The availability of the inexpensive U-DIO8 from miniDSP opens up many options now and I hope to have one for testing very soon.

12 (edited by ronkuper 2018-04-09 07:08:25)

mitr wrote:

there is a demand and it would be most effectively met by being able to use a trio (or quartet) of off-the-shelf stereo DACs.

Glad you could chip in!!!

Regarding stacking multiple units - while flexible it really doesn't do much to lowering the entry barrier (which was lowered years ago for Pro Audio interfaces). It will give piece of mind and features from a respected company such as RME.

But wouldn't you prefer a 6ch/8ch output version of the ADI-2 DAC?
From reading about the Pro model, the ADI-2 platform supports this configuration so I hope it is mostly adding the extra RCA analog outs (along with their analog stages).
Will definitely increase the cost but shouldn't double or triple it.

Might give the ADI-2 DAC that extra edge and publicity to really become a hit.

Can I throw in a +1 here?

The high end audio scene is undergoing a revolution with tools like Acourate/AudioLense/Dirac becoming accessible to the masses. Integrating subwoofers with a digital crossover is pretty easy now... except for the availability of multichannel DACs/interfaces.

There's a real opportunity here with only a very very few viable options on the market today.

Thanks
Peter

ronkuper wrote:

Sure but I am aware of the investment necessary for a niche product.

I am just wondering, you guys, where are you obtaining 5.1 source material (not meaning video, just audio)?

16 (edited by ronkuper 2018-04-10 07:47:00)

SpeakFriend wrote:

I am just wondering, you guys, where are you obtaining 5.1 source material (not meaning video, just audio)?

Personally my first and main use of multichannel is for subwoofer integration.

I also do room correction in software, which means the bass management (2.0ch --> 2.1ch) is software based as well, before the room correction, so that the RC software will see the subwoofer channel.

But I also enjoy the comfort and cost saving of having everything connected to the same system. Using my Hi-Fi stereo speakers as fronts for HT.

My uses for multichannel, ordered by priority:
1. Subwoofer integration with software room correction
2. HT (5.1 video)
3. 5.1 music

Another use for 5.1 is for active bi/tri-amplification with software DSP crossovers.

Basically the idea is the have the computer do all format decoding and DSP functions in software, as well as being the source.

As for 5.1 music... I really hope there would be more as it is always a treat.
Heard The Dark Side Of The Moon in 5.1?

http://creamusic.net/uploads/posts/2018-03/1522062144_1348212857_1330366134_pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon.jpg

Truly a trip.

Steven Wilson is also strong on that front, for example:
https://burningshed.com/store/porcupine … dent_dvd-a

MC wrote:

Thanks Ramses. The DAC manual's chapter about SteadyClock FS should be sufficient to explain this point.

That did it for me:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support/tech … yclock.php

Thanks mc!

18 (edited by ronkuper 2018-04-10 09:14:51)

mitr wrote:
ronkuper wrote:

Sure but I am aware of the investment necessary for a niche product.

ADI-2 already supports multichannel in the Pro as it seems.
I'm just saying that if the ADI-2 DAC had another RCA (for 2.1) or even more us CA guys (the primary consumer DAC users anyway) who also integrate subs or any other multich uses would dump our AVRs/PrePros and be all over it. Good exposure to the consumer market by tapping into this gap.

ronkuper wrote:

Where do you see that?

SpeakFriend wrote:

Downloads.  I have thousands.

mitr wrote:
ronkuper wrote:

Where do you see that?

In the Pro's manual

mitr wrote:
SpeakFriend wrote:

Downloads.  I have thousands.

Nice!!! Which genres?

ronkuper wrote:

Nice!!! Which genres?

Mostly, but not exclusively, classical.

24 (edited by mitr 2018-04-11 02:48:01)

ronkuper wrote:
mitr wrote:
ronkuper wrote:

Where do you see that?

In the Pro's manual

Cool but........................
"Note: A DSD playback via USB is only supported on playback channels 1/2. A DSD64 playback
in mode Multichannel via USB 3/4 does not activate the DSD mode."

I wonder where you found thousands of multichannel DSD downloads.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I wonder where you found thousands of multichannel DSD downloads.

Well...........................I really do not know how many of my thousands of multichannel DSD albums are downloads vs. SACD rips. Quick check shows about 35,000 DSF multichannel tracks.

MC wrote:

ronkuper wrote:

Yes I realized that, software volume is the option (could also be remoted). Or if by chance the ADI's would pickup signals from one remote and act on them in tandem that would actually be what's required for this use case smile

Let me ask this again.  Would a single remote control operate 3-4 ADI-2 DACs with sufficient precision for use as a master VC?

Hi

there is the UFX and UFX II for multichannel DAC applications (and ADC as well).
You can do:
-x-way digital crossover (max 6-way with one UFX), 12 channels
-Room EQ
-Use as 12 channel preamp (12x analog) plus digital inputs (2x8 ADAT)

So whats missing?
May be most top notch converters, same as ADI2 Pro? Although it has transparent converters as you can check yourself (UFX II has even better ones)
Costly look? No its not gold plated, nice black formntlpate etc.. For some people this may be important, but has its price.

You get pro-feature, no consumer equipment at whatever even highest prices can do.
Actually no urgent need for something like you asked.
And you get inputs for free smile You can use this feature for Room EQ, very useful. Mic input with phantom power! and premap inputs for Vinyl, Tape Recorder etc.

I have a setup using 4-way (8 channel crossover, surround (2 channels, or 4 channels with 2-way digital crossover), 2x Headphones (4 channel), another stereospeaker pair (2 channel) and DBA , double bass array (stereo, 2 channel).

I just got an UFX II to extend the channel-count via ADAT (more analog out, could also be done differently with RME products).

Big advantage over AVR Receiver (HDMI)
-the flexibility of routing
-Inputs (mic etc)
-UFX and UFX II can serve as premp and switching unit (for different setup comparisons of speakers and crossover, Vinyl input etc.)
-Much more channels
-Attractive price

-MQA: not needed as MQA is not lossless, hence lowers the quality
-DSD: not needed as DSD has lower quality than even 96k/24bit (DVD-A format9, althoug slightly better than CD (44.1k/16bit). DSD anyway has in the studioprocess been converted from PCM to DSD, so whats the point?

Peter

pschelbert wrote:

Hi

there is the UFX and UFX II for multichannel DAC applications (and ADC as well).
You can do: ...........................................................................................

Impressive.

-Much more channels

Unnecessary.

-Attractive price

Appreciated.

-DSD: not needed as DSD has lower quality than even 96k/24bit (DVD-A format9, althoug slightly better than CD (44.1k/16bit). DSD anyway has in the studioprocess been converted from PCM to DSD, so whats the point?

Questionable.
Thanks for the information.

Another solution to drive 3 DAC's is with a Digiface USB (SPDIF) or an AES card (adapted to SPDIF). For example the Digiface USB is master and the DAC's are slave, and volume control can be done in TotalMix FX via Fadergroups and/or ARC USB. 5.1 (up to 7.1) can be configured in Windows or MAC OS. Also remote control with TotalMix remote is then possible.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

31 (edited by ramses 2018-06-08 15:55:49)

Audio AG Support wrote:

Another solution to drive 3 DAC's is with a Digiface USB (SPDIF) or an AES card (adapted to SPDIF). For example the Digiface USB is master and the DAC's are slave, and volume control can be done in TotalMix FX via Fadergroups and/or ARC USB. 5.1 (up to 7.1) can be configured in Windows or MAC OS. Also remote control with TotalMix remote is then possible.

Very cool, brilliant idea wink

BTW .. as the ADI-2 * also supports ADAT protocol, it could also be i.e. a RayDAT.

Or even MADI based solution with either ADAT or AES (AES only for Pro/Pro FS/AE), but of course at a much higher price point.

Audio AG Support wrote:

Now, that's an intriguing idea.  Thanks.

33 (edited by gracky 2018-06-12 14:00:42)

MC wrote:

Dear MC, do you mean that two or three ADI-2 pros can act as a 4 or 6 ch DAC when they are connected to a computer via separate USB links, and clocks of ADI-2 pros are connected each other? if yes, would you explain more in detail or provide me with a pointer to more informations (about clock sync / configuring the computer for multichannel / is it possible on a mac...)? Thanks in advance.

34 (edited by ramses 2018-06-12 13:00:34)

gracky wrote:

Dear MC, does you mean that two or three ADI-2 pros can act as a 4 or 6 ch DAC when they are connected to a computer via separate USB links, and clocks of ADI-2 pros are connected each other? if yes, would you explain more in detail or provide me with a pointer to more informations (about clock sync / configuring the computer for multichannel / is it possible on a mac...)? Thanks in advance.

I am not MC, but I think it will go like this ...

Regarding Clock Sync and setup:

• Digiface USB would be your main interface on the PC

• Configure Digiface USB as Clock master (RME driver settings dialog, set clock to "internal")

• Take 3 TOSLINK cables which might be 15m (eventually up to 20m long)

• Connect Digiface USB ADAT OUT 1-3 to the three ADI-2 DAC / Pro / Pro FS / AE to its optical SPDIF IN port, its capable of understanding ADAT as well, but you can also select optical SPDIF for all of the three ports of the Digiface USB

• Configure all connected ADI-2 * to receive clock via optical SPDIF IN

• The ADI-2 * will refresh the inbound clock signal and use the internal clock for best D/A conversion

• Select a suitable output level on all ADI-2 *

• The final volume control you can perform in TotalMix FX (create a fader group for all 3 ADAT outputs)

• Then it might be possible to control volume via ARC USB, which might be nicer for you

• Whether one Remote Control of the ADI-2 DAC would control all three or only one particular I can not tell

I see no reason why this shall not work on MAC, as with MACs you also have TotalMix FX to configure the routing,
same as in Windows.

35 (edited by gracky 2018-06-12 13:58:51)

Ramses, thank you for your inputs! Reading the manual I see it makes sense. But I'm afraid the sampling rate will be limited to 192 with the Digiface USB (MC mentioned 768 sample rate via USB). Or maybe some external clock unit with multiple outputs via spdif would work. With multiple adi-2 pros and clock sync, the aggregate device mode of macos could work.

gracky wrote:

Dear MC, does you mean that two or three ADI-2 pros can act as a 4 or 6 ch DAC when they are connected to a computer via separate USB links, and clocks of ADI-2 pros are connected each other? if yes, would you explain more in detail or provide me with a pointer to more informations (about clock sync / configuring the computer for multichannel / is it possible on a mac...)? Thanks in advance.

Easy on a MAC because the OS permits virtual USB devices and, if you connect your three DACs via a USB hub, you can combine them into a 6 channel device.  Audio MIDI Setup lets you control channel distribution.  Of course, you must also set one DAC as Master Clock and link it to the clock inputs on the other two DACs.  I have done this with a set of Mytek DACs but I see no reason why one cannot do this with any DAC with clock in/outs.

37 (edited by gracky 2018-06-12 14:20:05)

mitr wrote:

Easy on a MAC because the OS permits virtual USB devices and, if you connect your three DACs via a USB hub, you can combine them into a 6 channel device.  Audio MIDI Setup lets you control channel distribution.  Of course, you must also set one DAC as Master Clock and link it to the clock inputs on the other two DACs.  I have done this with a set of Mytek DACs but I see no reason why one cannot do this with any DAC with clock in/outs.

Thank you mitr! I'm not sure if an ADI2 pro can act as a clock master (via AES/spdif digital outputs) while working as a USB DAC, maybe I missed something in the manual. If it's possible an external clock won't be necessary.

gracky wrote:
mitr wrote:

Thank you mitr! I'm not sure if an ADI2 pro can act as a clock master (via AES/spdif digital outputs) while working as a USB DAC, maybe I missed something in the manual. If it's possible an external clock won't be necessary.

I do not know the answer to that question.

> Thank you mitr! I'm not sure if an ADI2 pro can act as a clock master (via AES/spdif digital outputs) while working as a USB DAC

Of course it can. It will sync the other ADIs via AES or SPDIF, but only up to 192 kHz. Above that - problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

40 (edited by esosa.amayo 2019-09-28 05:14:55)

Thanks everyone for the informative comments. I'm about to upgrade my stereo setup to a 4.0 and need a multichannel DAC. I will eventually add a center speaker and a sub so need something that can support 6 channels.
I've had the RME ADI-2 DAC now for about 3 months and really love it with my current setup (MacBook pro with JRiver streaming music over usb to the DAC, DAC directly driving a Benchmark AHB2 amp, and Buchardt S400 speakers). The auto ref and loudness features have become essential for me. I just noticed that the new firmware release also now has independent trim adjustments which will be helpful when tweaking a multichannel setup.
I'm considering buying an ADI-2 Pro FS to combine with the ADI-2 DAC to form a 6-channel DAC but I want to make sure I understood what was explained above. I'd need the setup to work with multichannel PCM as well as DSD files.

If I understand correctly to be able to play a multi-channel DSD or PCM file I would do the following:

1.Connect each DAC to a separate USB connection on my MacBook pro and use CoreAudio to form an aggregate device (with the ADI-2 Pro as master and the ADI-2 DAC as slave) and set the appropriate channel mapping.
2. I would then connect the 2 via SPDIF and make the settings adjustment indicated in the manual that would allow the Pro FS to sync the clock of the ADI-2 DAC.
3. Configure JRiver to use the aggregate device.
4. For DSD configure JRiver to use DoP. Then if i also need dsp processing like channel trims or distance corrections I'd have to do DSD to PCM conversion in JRiver, convert back to DSD and send DoP to the aggregate device.

Will the above work? Also I know I can do the channel trims in the RME DACs (with the latest firmware version) but can I also do distance correction using the DSP functionality of the DACs? This way I, along with the parametric eq functionality of the DACs dsp, I could do all the basic setup and room correction I need in the DACs allowing me to re-use this regardless of whether I'm using JRiver to feed the setup.

I don't know if that will work. There is no distance correction in the units.

Basically the Pro is an 8-channel playback device, with 4 analog output chanels. If you want to keep the headphone separated, or use 6 output channels, you could add a DAC, but don't need to connect it to USB. It could be fed by the SPDIF optical output of the Pro. Such a setup (multichannel mode) would work up to 192 kHz and DSD64.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

42 (edited by esosa.amayo 2019-09-29 01:58:34)

MC wrote:

I don't know if that will work. There is no distance correction in the units.

Basically the Pro is an 8-channel playback device, with 4 analog output chanels. If you want to keep the headphone separated, or use 6 output channels, you could add a DAC, but don't need to connect it to USB. It could be fed by the SPDIF optical output of the Pro. Such a setup (multichannel mode) would work up to 192 kHz and DSD64.

Thanks Matthias! According to the block diagram in the manual for class compliant multi-channel mode (chapter 17.4) the setup you described above seems not so flexible as it would mean that the additional DAC could only do the D/A conversion for channels 7/8 of the multi-channel input. So, for example, if the Pro FS is fed 4.0 quad music that has nothing in channels 7/8 the setup wouldn't work as desired.