Topic: ADI 2 DAC or ADI 2 PRO

Hey guys. I'm trying to build a mastering setup at home. I use plugins for hardware emulation, an AXE FX III for guitar , superior drummer 3 for drums and an Antelope Edge modeling microphone(uses mic emulation).
Which is a better use of my money considering I only have 1 real analog source ( and it uses emulation) So less of a need for AD

Axe FX 3 as an Interface+ RME ADI 2 DAC($999)

OR

Axe FX3 as guitar processor + RME ADI2 Pro AD/DA (1999$) thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2018-04-23 06:01:36)

Re: ADI 2 DAC or ADI 2 PRO

If I see it corretctly the Antelope Edge is a normal Large Diaphragm Capacitor Mic.
You can't connect a mic to ADI-2 Pro / AE / DAC, these interfaces do not have a mic preamp.
Also not the Axe FX 3 if I see right.

In regards to the ADI-2 Pro, there is a new version out with the Femto Second clock, ADI-2 Pro FS at the same price.

For studio use I would prefer the ADI-2 Pro FS, because it has also analog inputs and supports AES.
The DAC is really more something for being in the front of a HiFi.

I would recommend you to get a RME recording interface with Mic Preamps and TotalMix FX.
Then you can connect the ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 Pro FS additionally for getting best AD/DA, Phones Preamp, etc.
The solution and good operational functionality by "remap keys" feature I presented here in my blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … tup-EN-DE/

I personally use the ADI-2 Pro in front of an UFX+ and the ADI-2 DAC in front of my HiFi.

If you can effort, get the UFX II, because Durec is a very nice feature.
You can use it either in parallel to recordings with your DAW of use the UFX II fully stand-alone as tape deck.
The latter I do very often, record to an USB stick directly connected to the UFX+. Later I can import the multiplexed wave file directly into Cubase for further post-processing. This is a very nice functionality.

Maybe you can save a little money by buying the ADI-2 Pro used, when some people want to have the latest and greatest in form of the ADI-2 Pro FS.

My recommendation for you is to get:
- RME UFX II
- ADI-2 Pro
- ARC USB
- and rack mount kit RM19-X or alternatively RME Unirack II

If you would rack all units then you should get 1-2 RU more to be able to leave more space between the components for better air flow. UFX II and ADI-2 Pro have a good heat dissipation and by that produce heat.
AXE FX 3 - 3 RU
ADI-2 Pro - 1 RU
UFX II - 1 RU
So eventually 6-7 RUs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13