Topic: RME Fireface 800 - AN 9/10 Crackle to OVR

Hi,

My Fireface 800 is showing a fault after many many years of practically daily usage... I am frankly blown away by it's longevity!

After the unit has been powered up and switched on for maybe 5-10 minutes i get loud static on analogue inputs 9/10, without anything connected to these analogue inputs.. and also if i have a microphone connected and phantom power on or off.

This static has steadily increased over the last few months, to the point where i'm worried and seeking to save my beloved Fireface!

I've done extensive searching of the forums... and have a feeling It may be the protection diodes for these channels.. as i did have a device (Bass D.I) in use many times on AN 9 that was phantom powered (however this is merely a feeling at this stage)

I can confirm that i already have a replacement power supply that i am ready to swap out.. but didn't want to open the unit until i know i can fix this issue.  As this unit is still my go-to for making music.

If it is indeed the protection diodes... i am quite skillful with a soldering iron.. if i knew exactly which part may be defective, I would stand a good chance of repairing it.  So if i can get part info / replacement parts I am very grateful!

I'm very grateful for any info i can get, to help save her!

Many Thanks
Rob

Re: RME Fireface 800 - AN 9/10 Crackle to OVR

We do not supply instructions for self-repair, sorry. Also there are at least two versions. The very first  unit had a discrete preamp circuit. The later version with That1510 used MCL103A as protection diodes. Nevertheless I strongly recommend to send in the unit for a full check. FF 800 that old will fail sooner or later. It makes sense for example to exchange the power supply, do applicable mods etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Many thanks for the info!

I'm not sure which version i have.. but i'm guessing that it was one of the first units!  I did have a replacement PSU a very long time ago... I know about electrolytics.. so it's bound to be due to be replaced!  i did actually purchase a replacement PSU from Synthax UK a little while ago, as I wasn't aware that there was an option to send this unit back for repair!  I have yet to swap for the installed PSU. i did hope that PSU replacement may cure the fault, but after reading the forum... but i'm not so sure!

I'm very interested in getting this unit checked... just hoping that cost is not prohibitive, forcing me to indulge in some DIY!

I am very grateful for any information you, or one of your colleagues can offer regarding estimated cost, and what to do next.

Best Regards
Rob

Youn will get a cost estimation before repair, once the unit has been checked.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME