Topic: Drops and errors using Session Link, Source Connect Now or Ipdtl

Hi all,

I’m using a Fireface 802 for remote-recording sessions via Google Chrome based applications such as Session Link and Source Connect Now.
During those sessions my outgoing signal contained drop and errors after every +/- 7 minutes. To continue a recording session, I have to refresh the connections every 7 minutes.
With the incoming audio, no problem. 

My configuration : Windows 10 (64bit), RME Fireface 802, Google Chrome.

Same issues using a Babyface Pro.  I did a test with my built-in soundcard without any problem.
When connecting via a Macbook, everything works fine too.

It seems to be a driver issue?

Do you have an idea how to solve this?

Kind regards

2 (edited by ramses 2018-04-01 16:37:26)

Re: Drops and errors using Session Link, Source Connect Now or Ipdtl

If you have problems between 2 clients, then you need to troubleshoot from an end-to-end perspective.
You can have issues on your local side, on the remote end or a mix of both and of course in the WAN / internet.

Can you please describe how the PCs are connected to the internet router on your and at the remote end ?
Are you using LAN or WLAN technologies to connect to the internet ?

How is the Internet Bandwidth (Down-/ Upstream) and technology being used on your and the remote end ?
Do you use cellphone based services like i.e. cell based (LTE, ..) where the medium is being shared between
devices in your radio cell ?

To exclude local PC and LAN/WLAN problems I would suggest that you connect 2 PCs via cross-cable to check
whether with a normal Ethernet any issue shows up.

Next step would be to repeat this test using the Switch on your local Internet Router.

Don't use Wireless services, its not recommended for this software as the author tells.

You need to perform all these checks on your and the remote end.

Always ensure in the LAN, that you use 1 Gbps "Full Duplex" connections, Half-Duplex is a no-go.
For Gigabit ports its best to have both ends to use Auto/Auto settings for speed and duplex.
With half-duplex connections you will get collisions on the shared LAN media.

Your question on their forum seems to be here: http://forum.sessionlinkpro.de/viewtopic.php?id=716

I found another interesting Forum article: http://forum.sessionlinkpro.de/viewtopi … d=491#p491
They recommend to test with this latency tester https://test.webrtc.org/?test_filter=Network%20latency

In another thread I saw a posting about a guy having problems with this software, because he had Malware on his MAC, did you scan/check for malware on your or your friends PC ? You can check this with i.e. a product from malwarebytes.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your help!

I did some internet bandwidth-tests, double-checked the settings, latency-test, no wireless-usage, no malware etc.. 

Now I installed ‘Virtual Audio Cable’ ( https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ ) and use this as a switch between my RME interface and Session Link, Source Connect Now or other Chrome based VOIP-applications. Only this configuration works.

Maybe the RME Asio driver is not compatible.

Hello there!

I'm the developer of SessionLinkPRO and I'd like to provide some additional information. Some of our clients experience this issue on Windows 10 systems. I've just did a support session where we could narrow down the problem to the local system by directly recording the local PCM stream in Chrome. So it's definitely not an internet problem!

Some other audio interfaces showed a similar behaviour if the sample rate was set to 44100hZ. We've double check that Chrome was using 48000Hz internally and the Fireface was also set to 48000Hz.

We've also tried older Chrome versions to exclude potential issues with the latest Chrome version.

It seems to be an issue with Windows 10 in combination with the WDM drivers. The client used the latest RME driver available for his interface (Driver date 13.07.17, Driver version 1.099, Hardware Revision 135).

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Tim

5 (edited by ramses 2018-04-18 17:12:12)

Tim, could it be related to this issue of Win10 which is not yet fixed ?

In my blog article Top 2: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ing-EN-DE/

The information in this link in particular: https://www.facebook.com/notes/vb-audio … 165445117/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your answer. I'll talk to the client and we'll try the VB-Audio stress test tools to see if it's related to the Windows 10 issue.

Coming back as soon as I have gathered more information.

Kind regards,
Tim

Ok, back with additional information. We measured high processing times (maximum was 140ms) with the stress test tool. So yes, the issue could be related to the windows issue.

But the issues only appear when using WDM applications (e.g. Chrome), not with ASIO applications. And it's only happening with some audio interfaces (RME Fireface or Focusrite Scarlett Series for example). A large number of interface seem to work ok despite the Windows issue.

Let's hope for the Windows fix in the upcoming release...

I am also suffering this problem. Reported it one year ago.
I have a dedicated computer with Win10 for SLP and metering with a HDSP 9652.
As Tim wrote, no problems with ASIO applications but cracles after a couple of minutes in Google Chrome with SLP.
My workaround at the moment is a Steinberg UR22MK2 as Input Device for remote sessions. Works without issues but the setup is awkward.
I would be glad if this was solved sooner or later.

Andreas

I've just tested a workaround in the latest Chrome Canary version. Behind a flag, you'll find a new feature called "Increase input audio buffer size". If enabled, this feature increases Chrome's input buffer to 100ms. And that seems to solve the issue with my clients Fireface. We did a quite extensive test with a clean audio stream.

Andreas, if you want to verify if this is also working on your system, please install Chrome Canary. Once started, paste this into the address bar   chrome://flags/#increase-input-audio-buffer-size   and enable this option. Restart Chrome Canary and check wether it helps.

Please note that Chrome Canary is a development version which updates almost daily and is not recommened for production use. Hopefully the new feature will hit the regular version asap.

Kind regards,
Tim

Tim, thank you for your effort.
I Just did a test and can confirm that the higher buffer in Canary solves the issue with cracling also with my 9652 card.
But, as you warned, this Chrome version reliably crashes after 5-10 minutes, out of the blue. So at the moment this should not be used for a commercial session at all.
Please post here if you have any news on further developments, thanks again.

Andreas

Hi everyone,

Today I updated my Windows 10 software, and I couldn’t still believe but at the same time my drops were gone.  Same configuration, same settings no crackle anymore.
Thanks a lot for your help, research and your time!

Kind regards,

Bart

So at what version were you before and after upgrade ? 1709 -> 1803 ?

I updated to 1803.   I can't see wich version I came from.

14 (edited by ramses 2018-05-15 20:58:59)

Most likely 1709, as this was Fall Creators from Sept 2017 ... I only wanted to be sure that you mean a normal upgrade to latest RS4 (Redstone 4 aka 1803). BTW congrats for the solution.

It also works here with Windows 10 Version 1803! i just did a one hour test session without any glitches.
Thank you all for reporting.
Andreas

Perfect! Sounds like the Windows 10 issue is finally gone...

The Chrome workaround (  chrome://flags/#increase-input-audio-buffer-size  ) has also made it's way into the stable release. So if anyone is still experiencing an issue with glitches, please try it.

Cheers,
Tim