1 (edited by sino21 2018-05-15 06:14:25)

Topic: Two Multiface II and Two PCIe cards (looking for experienced opinion)

Hello guys. Newbie here. I am considering to get two Multiface II interfaces with two individual PCIe cards. Only version II is in discussion. I am trying to educate myself but it's hard reading info on various forums so i came here.

I am looking to hear opinion from someone that already tried this. So i have few question.

My scenario is that i might need 96khz in near future. From what i understand one Multiface II operate normally up to 96khz. But i want to connect 2x Multiface II.

So i am seeing these old threads on various forums where people are able to connect two Multifaces (version II).

Do i understand this right.

1. I can connect two Multiface II interfaces with just ONE PCIe card but i will be able to use all 16 ins only if i use 44khz. Because for connecting and linking two Multiface II interfaces i need ADAT connection between them. ADAT operates on all IO only at 44khz right?

2. Is there some other way, other then ADAT connection, to connect/link two Multiface II cards?

3. Is there some drawback on this? I found some info where people claim if i do it this way i will have to leave second Multiface II always ON 24/7 to not loose some connection settings something like that. Seems weird though.

4. Am i able to use this scenario (two linked Multiface II) on Win10 x64? Are latest RME software goodies also available for Multiface II?

5. Is it true that if i want full 16 IO by linking two Mutliface II at 96khz i need two separate PCIe cards? If this is true, this is not a problem for me but  i want to know how does my DAW software see this? Do i have then like one ASIO card presented to software (because it is linked), or i see two separate ASIO interfaces in my DAW - in which case i am confused how does people use other inputs from other Multiface II then because ASIO AFAIK can see only one interface at a time...

6. MIDI - by connecting two interface do i also get two MIDI IO? Via one card or via two cards?

7. Can i connect Multiface II to Babyface Pro?

I hope to see some answers. If you have some links from this forum please share.

Re: Two Multiface II and Two PCIe cards (looking for experienced opinion)

1. You need two PCIe cards.

3. Stand-alone mode has this limitation. The MF will no longer work after power-loss.

5. Yes. One ASIO card.

6. Yes.

7. ?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for information, your help and for details.

Regarding your answer under 3 "Stand-alone mode has this limitation. The MF will no longer work after power-loss." what does this Standalone mode mean for me in practice? I mean i am working whole day (days). After that i am taking few days of vacation (example) and shutting everything down (computer and rack gear basically). What does "will no longer work after power-loss" mean in my scenario? That next day when i power up my computer and rack gear - that second Multiface will no longer work? Until iset it up through software routing of RME software - is that what you mean?

Regarding 7 i found few threads where people are talking about connecting Multiface II to Babyface pro over ADAT (supposedly). So i was thinking maybe buying Babyface Pro and then using Multiface II as sort of more affordable ADAT interface.

To configure the Multiface you have to connect it to a PCIe card. So using two MF with one card is a constant hassle of reconfiguring and unplugging/plugging. Until the next power loss...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is why it's called "Disconnect Mode", not "Standalone Mode"....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by sino21 2018-05-15 15:50:23)

Ok i think i am getting it. Sorry for such newbie questions as i said i am trying to understand this setup and i want to clarify my concerns.

As i understand from posting above - Second multiface does "forget" settings in case where i have two MII connected to one card..Right?

So basically if i am getting two interfaces connected to TWO cards not one - then it's all fine right?
Not loosing any settings? And ASIO i mean DAW sense it as one audio card interface despite the fact that there are two physical PCIe cards in my computer?...(that part is confusing to me but ok if that's the case i never used RME but i am constantly seeing praise in all music forums worldwide)

Thanks.

sino21 wrote:

So basically if i am getting two interfaces connected to TWO cards not one - then it's all fine right?
Not loosing any settings? And ASIO i mean DAW sense it as one audio card interface despite the fact that there are two physical PCIe cards in my computer?...

I got three Multiface II's connected via three PCIe cards.

No lost settings.

DAW sees them as one ASIO device called "ASIO Hammerfall DSP". Inputs and outputs from all Multifaces are available in DAW (both analog and digital).

Just remember that when connecting multiple Multifaces via PCI(e) cards, you must synchronize their clocks using S/PDIF, ADAT or WordClock cable. (Just plug a cable from one Multiface's output to another's input and you're done)

sino21 wrote:

Not loosing any settings? And ASIO i mean DAW sense it as one audio card interface despite the fact that there are two physical PCIe cards in my computer?...(that part is confusing to me but ok if that's the case i never used RME but i am constantly seeing praise in all music forums worldwide).

Yes, as Seccione mentions, you should connect each Multiface II to it's own PCIe card. When you open up your music software (Cubase, ProTools, etc...) the software will be able to access and use the inputs and outputs from both of the Multiface break-out boxes, as they will both utilize the one single instance of the RME Asio driver.

The one limitation of this set-up is that each instance of TotalMix (which is the internal software mixer built into the Multiface units) can only route software channels within the one physical unit, (unless you decide to physically connect cables carrying either analog/digital audio signals between the two boxes). This is because each instance of TotalMix, which belongs to each Multiface unit, is accessed by a separate tab within the TotalMix software. This is not a problem however, as you generally will not be routing signal between boxes, and even if you would like to do that, it's very easy to send a stereo mixdown from one box to another using a single stereo SPDIF cable.

As mentioned above, for clocking purposes, one box will have to be the master, and the other the slave, so that they are correctly synchronized and do not drift apart (which they would eventually do if they used their own individual internal clocks).

Hope this information helps smile