Topic: FF800 - 7.1 speaker setup reverts to stereo in windows 10

FF800 is having issues with surround speaker setup in windows 10.

The setup works right after speaker reconfiguration to 7.1, but windows reverts 7.1 to stereo when you:

(1) reboot windows
(2) change sample rate
(3) change speaker configuration properties

ASIO drivers works with no issues, only windows internal drivers has the problem.

I have tried to reinstall RME drivers, to repair windows system files and to repair windows.

I haven't tried to make a clean windows install, as this will be a major job to do.

Is it possible to force windows speaker config to 7.1 with some kind of tweak?

Re: FF800 - 7.1 speaker setup reverts to stereo in windows 10

The normal behaviour is that you set the speaker configuration per sample rate in the Sound control panel, and Windows remembers it per sample rate. If it doesn't then it's an internal Windows problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your service :-)

I have set the speaker configuration to 7.1 for all sample rates, but the problem is that windows reverts to stereo after reboot or changing sample rate.

So every time I reboot the speaker configuration has to be reconfigured to 7.1.

I do believe it is an internal windows problem, as I have never had any issues with the FF800 before.

Normally it is rock solid & stable.

I'm having the same problem with the Fireface UFX on Windows 10. There must be a way to stop this. When I configure the motherboard's built in sound card (realtek driver) to 5.1 or 7.1. It does not revert to stereo on reboot so why does the RME drivers does?

I very much doubt that re-installing Windows would solve this issue.

I am too looking for any tweak or whatever way to make my 5.1 speaker configuration permanent. So if anybody has any idea where we should start looking, it would be very appreciated.

Are you sure it really is in stereo mode? There is a bug in the sound dialog that the selected mode shows Stereo in the list box after a reboot, but the 5 or 7 speakers on the side make clear that the real mode is still Surround...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear Matthias,

I have checked with Totalmix FX.

Surround is working fine with ASIO drivers, but not with programs or apps using Windows sound drivers.

Like fbeauvaisc says, Windows 10 is working fine with the internal sound card of the motherboard, so somehow it is related to FF800 drivers.

It is not only reverting to stereo on reboot, but also when changing sample rate, and when you select Playback in windows sound settings, open Properties for the FF800 and select Levels.

While watching a movie in surround, if you select Playback in windows sound settings, open Properties for FF800 and select Levels, it immediately reverts to stereo.

Before I watch a movie or play music in surround I have to set windows sound settings back to 7.1, and then surround works fine throughout the movie / playback.

All is checked with Totalmix FX, where you can see the various channels playing.

We are working on all these problems right now. Thanks for the detailed description.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. If needed, you are welcome to ask further questions or I could even participate in testing the new driver.

Best regards,

Rendboell