Re: TotalMix FX version 1.50 supports remote control over network (Final)

@ Folke: No problem, and you're welcome. Thanks for the info!

Regarding missing information on multi-interface use, I think the manual of the ARC USB is quite clear:

The ARC USB can control several interfaces simultaneously, which happens automatically as the Key Commands dialog in TotalMix FX is specific to the currently selected audio interface. Just assign only the functions that are desired for each respective interface. After that the ARC USB keys and the encoder wheel remote the respective interface where they have been assigned to, without the need to further switch or select anything in normal operation.

I might need to add that double assignments are not allowed, though. Like this:

Note that identical assignments on multiple interfaces are not allowed. This is mostly visualized by flickering/flashing buttons, or a jumping volume control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just a small report of a potential issue.  Updated to TotalMix 1.5 final yesterday.  I usually sleep my DAW PC overnight.  This morning on wake the TMFX was not responding to the ARC USB (first time I have seen that since I purchased a year ago).  Quit and restarted TMFX - all ok.  Slept and woke PC twice - all ok.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

What did the LEDs of the ARC USB show after wake up from sleep? 3 lower ones lit or one missing? Next time this happens please note and then replug the ARC instead of restarting TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm pretty sure it looked normal - just my Snap 2 lit.  WIll try and recreate and document fully.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Please try with release version 1.50 (3), Windows, which you find linked in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@ Folke: please note that the 'Default Encoder Function', whatever it is assigned to, is the only one that is supposed to work in multi-interface usage. So for example you should be able to control the Main Out faders of several devices simultaneously. This was broken in your version, but should work again in the latest one that can be found as download link in post 1 (1.50 3).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC, Thank you for your patience!  Yes, you're right; the excerpt you gave clearly shows how to use it. I obviously missed that.

And again you're correct: I tried a workaround by setting the two interfaces to similar setups and thereby got the flickering lamps and jumping volume.

Yes, I just tested (1.50 3) to let the encoder control two interfaces Volume (Main / Headphone 2 also works), nice! Thanks!

By the way: Is there any difference in "Disable computer-connected ARC USB" and setting "All Off"?

M f g,
   Folke

macOS, Fireface ufx + 2*ADAT expansion, Fireface 800 (*3) & ARC USB

Yes, you don't loose your settings...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just found that the ipad app is also updated to 1.12 now and all the MADI playback channels are shown. Thanks for the quick update.

After updating I got the "No UDP data received at all" message, but it works fine in either direction. I also had this message once using the former ipad app version but it was working fine then, too. I tried searching the forum for this error but found nothing useful.

What's this all about?

This message says there is no communication going on, typically when a Firewall prevents the remote from working. In your case it might have been a small start delay that brought it up for a moment.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

111 (edited by david-p 2018-05-08 17:49:32)

TotalMix Remote is a great addition to our arsenal. Many thanks!

I have a request, though: could the vertical scrolling ability of the iPad version be extended to the Windows version, please? The problem is that with my 13,3" laptop screen (Asus Zenbook) the faders are too small. (The iPad faders are ideal.) The best that i can do is with 2-rows and 135%, which then only covers 75% of the screen height and is still too small for comfort. Anything else is either much too small (100%) or runs off the screen (135% with 3-rows and 200%).

A screenshot is available, but I cant see how to attach it here...

Thanks again for this useful extension. Even when I am at the desktop computer, it is useful to have TotalMix available on the iPad as a third screen!

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

112 (edited by EvilDragon 2018-05-10 07:44:55)

@MC

- ARC USB supports Shift key for fine fader control

This is really nice! However it is not consistent. When adjusting headphones levels via ARC and holding Shift, the values change in 0.1 dB. For main (master volume) it doesn't do this at all (changes in 0.5 dB but it also often skips some values which makes it NOT a fine fader control!), and I would expect it to do exactly that - be consistent across the board. smile

A very happy RME UFX+ & ARC owner smile

More details please - which interface, which channels are assigned to phones and main.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

114 (edited by EvilDragon 2018-05-10 08:27:22)

Sorry! UFX+ and ARC. Main/phones output setup is all defaults (AN 1/2, PH 9/10, PH 11/12). Also ARC is connected directly to UFX+, not to the computer.

It is weird because I can definitely get 0.1 dB precision by adjusting the Main volume in TMFX via Shift+mouse.

I should put my RME gear in signature so it's always visible under my posts (I don't post often here, but when I do...)

Ok, I'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Today I had the opportunity to really work with the new TM Remote for the first time at a live show that will happen tomorrow. Today we just had set-up and soundcheck with a 6-piece rock band into the UFX+ using its mic pres and line inputs and a Digimax DP88 over ADAT. Soundcheck was done completely on an ipad.

Overall it's really great working this way using TM Remote but nevertheless I was stumbling upon a few things I'd like to share.

1. Before we even started today, I had bit of time and thought I could start to prepare (offline) the CHANNEL LAYOUT and CHANNEL NAMES on the ipad and tried to save this as a workspace. In the end I had to do it all over again, when the ipad was finally actually connected to the host computer. Is there a way to load the settings from the saved workspace on the ipad to the UFX? It didn't work for me...

2. It would be nice to have an option to get rid of one row of channels completely. In this case today there was no need for the playback row at all. Even in 2ROW mode the scroll slider for the playback channels can get in the way when scrolling quickly through the input row's channels.

3. The Fireface's MIC gain knobs on the ipad do not seem to refresh when adjusting them. The channel's settings need to be closed and opened again to see the current value.

http://www.ttx-sound.net/foren/IMG_0147.jpg

When pressing "Dim" button on ARC to mute the master, UFX+ shows "-dB" instead of "-oo dB" on its display. This wasn't like that before.

fripholm wrote:

1. Before we even started today, I had bit of time and thought I could start to prepare (offline) the CHANNEL LAYOUT and CHANNEL NAMES on the ipad and tried to save this as a workspace. In the end I had to do it all over again, when the ipad was finally actually connected to the host computer. Is there a way to load the settings from the saved workspace on the ipad to the UFX? It didn't work for me...

You can't use TM FX offline, and the same is true for the Remote.

fripholm wrote:

2. It would be nice to have an option to get rid of one row of channels completely. In this case today there was no need for the playback row at all. Even in 2ROW mode the scroll slider for the playback channels can get in the way when scrolling quickly through the input row's channels.

That might come in a later version.

fripholm wrote:

3. The Fireface's MIC gain knobs on the ipad do not seem to refresh when adjusting them. The channel's settings need to be closed and opened again to see the current value.

This was fixed in the just released remotes 1.01 and the new iOS v1.13. Thanks for the info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

EvilDragon wrote:

@MC

When adjusting headphones levels via ARC and holding Shift, the values change in 0.1 dB. For main (master volume) it doesn't do this at all (changes in 0.5 dB but it also often skips some values which makes it NOT a fine fader control!), and I would expect it to do exactly that - be consistent across the board. smile

Correct. This is a complicated topic and we are not sure how to solve this technically. Maybe in TM FX 1.6. The new function works on Mains when plugging the ARC USB into a computer, but not when plugged directly into the UFX II or UFX+.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

EvilDragon wrote:

When pressing "Dim" button on ARC to mute the master, UFX+ shows "-dB" instead of "-oo dB" on its display. This wasn't like that before.

The big volume display never had a '-oo' as this symbol is missing in the used font. Within the menu it is shown as two o. It is also shown below the fader in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I never meant for the symbol, I meant for two "o"s. And now that you say it, when it displayed "-oo" properly, ARC indeed was connected to the computer,  but now I have it connected directly to the unit.

122 (edited by EvilDragon 2018-05-18 19:58:20)

MC wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

@MC

When adjusting headphones levels via ARC and holding Shift, the values change in 0.1 dB. For main (master volume) it doesn't do this at all (changes in 0.5 dB but it also often skips some values which makes it NOT a fine fader control!), and I would expect it to do exactly that - be consistent across the board. smile

Correct. This is a complicated topic and we are not sure how to solve this technically. Maybe in TM FX 1.6. The new function works on Mains when plugging the ARC USB into a computer, but not when plugged directly into the UFX II or UFX+.

Might I suggest having "Shift" as assignable "push only" (momentary, only acting while button is pressed) function to one of the ARC buttons in case ARC is connected directly? That seems like a good way to go. Alternatively, why not provide a "precision" option for the alpha wheel, so that it is parameterized?

I wrote this is a complicated topic. There is no simple solution for technical reasons. Please wait , it will come one day.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can't use TM FX offline, and the same is true for the Remote.

Not yet - but I remember a post in this forum from years ago where you were saying that you're working on an 'offline mode' for TotalMix. Is this still true?

To be honest, when I first saw the announcement for TM Remote, I thought that was the way you implemented this feature wink

This was fixed in the just released remotes 1.01 and the new iOS v1.13. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. And thanks for the quick update, works fine now!

ucxguy wrote:

Remote is working with Windows 10 system and new ipad pro,  but I get the message,  " No UDP data received...",  when I start the app on the ipad... message also says to check firewalls... I did and they show that Total Mix FX is allowed to pass firewall...I also tried turning off windows firewalls but this didn't help... Remote works,  but keeps "disconnecting and re-connecting" and so when I try to adjust any parameters,  I have a long delay before action... say 3 to 6 seconds before a response...any ideas???    thank  you...

I have had the same Problem (Total Mix Remote on IPad Pro not being able to communicate with the host), and could solve it.
The UDP data are blocked by the firewall of the host. I am running TotalMix FX 1.50 as a host on Windows 10 laptop with Kaspersky Internet Security as Antivirus. My programs are in German so please excuse me if the translations in english is not exactly correct in the software - I am just guessing.
I went to the settings area of Kaspersky (Einstellungen), clicked on Protection (Schutz), Firewall and finally Networks (Netzwerke). In the list of networks I can see the one which is used for TotalMix Remote. By default Kaspersky has defined it as "public network" (öffentliches Netwerk), and this limits the communication between the host and the remote. So you need to turn this network to a private one (vertrauenswürdiges Netzwerk). Close Kaspersky.
Then I had to log off from Windows and log on again, so that the changes are effective.
Good luck!
Darius

Hi
Updated today from version 1.31 to version 1.50.

Basically, everything works as it should.

But when I start a game, it does not matter which one, the sound is distorted from the output PH 3/4. This output is used for discord (communication tool).
The main sound from the PC which is played through "speakers" is fine.

My settings are as follows:
Buffer Size: 1024 sampes 0/0 errors
DSP: check
Optical Out: ADAT
SPDIF In: no check
WDM Devices: 6
Sample Rate: 48000Hz
Clock Source: Internal
Pitch: 0%

What I tried:
Reinstalling TotalMixFX: no improvement
Sampele rate set to 44100Hz: no improvement
Discord of "Analog (3 + 4)" on other software playback output: here it will be interesting. AS 1/2 distorted, ADAT 3/4 distorted, ADAT 5/6 ok, ADAT 7/8 ok

With the last version 07/22/2016 driver_usb_win_1093.zip I do not have this problem.

Any idea what's going on here?

Wrong thread (has nothing to do with TotalMix). Did you check that your WDM devices are in stereo mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not wishing to appear overly impatient, but it appears V1.50 iOS has not yet made its way into the App Store.  Still fighting its way through Apple processes?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

You seem confused. The iOS Remote is a new product and currently on version 1.13.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

130 (edited by panatrope 2018-05-26 01:20:02)

To clarify, the post was about TMFX for iPad (currently V1.40) and a V1.50 (the subject of this thread) update has yet to appear in the App Store (at least in Oz, as of the time of this post).

(Mistaken - occasionally; confused - never!)

But this thread is not about TM FX for iPad.

We are working on TM FX for iPad now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In the TMFX for iPad threads the latest entry was last year.

I was mistaken in thinking that this thread might be about TMFX V1.50 as a whole (doesn't say specifically Win/Mac) and I do have a recollection that at one stage in the much updated first post it said something like 'update for TMFX iOS in the App Store soon".

However it has now been clarified that the upgrade for TMFX iOS is still being worked on, but (we assume) will be available eventually (sooner or later) in the App Store.

Glad we have sorted that out!

Thanks for the great app!
Very easy to set up and so far no real problems here.

One small thing though, the peak/rms level indications don't exactly match between Totalmix FX and Totalmix Remote for iOS. The peak/rms indicators are of by 0.1 to 0.3dB, but not consistently. This is the case for the Input, Playback and Output rows.
The levels do match exactly between 2 different iPads.

Is this a bug or are the levels for the iPad app calculated at a different moment or at a different rate?

Setup:
Fireface 802 connected directly to Intel USB3.0 onboard controller
Main = AN 1/2
Speaker B = AN 3/4
Phones 1 = PH 9/10
Phones 2 = PH 11/12
ARC connected to unit, ARC USB connected to PC
PC: Asus Z170-A, i7 6700K, 48GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
iPad Air2 iOS 10 + iPad 2 iOS 9

Thanks RME!

It is very usefull for us.

For testing I need use the same Windows PC for the TotaMix and TotalMix Remote Apps but I can not because they use the same port in all the Ethernet links.

Is it possible configure the out port and the in port separately? Then I could comunicate two apps in the same machine.

I want to develop my own simple Mixer.

Thanks

That is not possible, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

Could you add this funcionality in the final version?

If I use the OSC commands I can select port incoming and port outgoing

Regards

Can you point me to the API please?

Thanks

There is no API, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Meh, never?

Oh sad

141 (edited by daxliniere 2018-07-14 14:56:47)

Hey Matthias,

I have UFX and 3 sets of monitors and would love if you could add Main Out C to TotalMixFX, please.

All the best,
Dax.

Loyal RME user since 2001
[AMD 5800X, 32Gb RAM, Win10x64, NVidia GTX1080ti, UCX+UFX, REAPER x64]

142 (edited by daxliniere 2018-07-14 15:00:41)

For control, Speaker B Select could become Cycle Main Outs, which would select Main Out A->B->C->A...
This would 'conserve' ARC buttons, though I wouldn't mind getting dedicated selection button functions as well as cycle.

daxliniere wrote:

For control, Speaker B Select could become Cycle Main Outs, which would select Main Out A->B->C->A...
This would 'conserve' ARC buttons, though I wouldn't mind getting dedicated selection button functions as well as cycle.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I'd love to see that + mono speaker support (which has been hinted at as a potential future feature at some point).

Oh! And a really big, little request, can you please make a zoom level that fits into a FullHD (1920*1080) screen, please? At 135%, it is difficult to use as it's partially cut-off and 100% is too small.
Perhaps 130% would fill the screen without exceeding it?

Hi,

Can't get it work on ad hoc network.
Working fine on wifi

any idea?

Using an Ipad Pro with Totalmix Remote I noticed that the Recall button inside the monitor zone is not working on the ipad but works on PC totalmix interface.
Is it a know issue?

Hi everybody
One short question:
Is it possible to control thr TotalMix FX on my recording computer (MacPro) with up to 5 ipad's for the purpose of individual adjusting personal monitoring settings in a studio situation ?

Thanks for your answer.
Christian

Exactly that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I cannot get my iPad to connect to my host computer. Windows 10, TotalMixFX 1.50 (3), new download/install of TotalMixFx remote. Host PC shows Port Number 7009, IP of 192.168.0.12, which I have carefully matched within the remote app. I see both programs as permitted within the Windows Firewall. Yet no connection! This worked a few months ago but then suddenly stopped and now I cannot get them to connect. Any ideas of what I should try, now? Thanks!

@RME: Can you please release a list of TCP commands? A raw and undocumented list will do for now for those interested, I'm sure. Controlling some gains via Matlab would be so awesome.