1 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-08 19:05:18)

Topic: What are the output voltages?

In the ADI2 DAC menu, the PCA output is set within this range

-5db

+ 1db

+ 7db

+13 db

Tell me what voltages at each level. Information normal is not. Which level to set when the to the linear input of the amplifier.

I need for example 2 volts, how much is the level?

Re: What are the output voltages?

Hi, you may find this calculator useful:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

3 (edited by zozim 2018-05-09 12:48:02)

SpeakFriend wrote:

Hi, you may find this calculator useful:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

An interesting table. smile
If you assume that to get 2 volts you need to set the reference + 7db and add + 1.5db to the controller.on the screen ADI2 DAC?

P.s
In the table on which column to watch? On the first or second? The difference between them is big.

4 (edited by SpeakFriend 2018-05-10 15:46:28)

Hi, no you would set the reference level to +13 and set the volume to -4.5 or -5.0. That will give approximately 2VRMS with a full-scale (0 dB FS) input signal.

Sorry but I don't understand the second question.

Definitely try as you suggest.

6 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-17 06:54:23)

Correspondence of the DB and the output voltage RCA.

+ 1db=0.9Vrms

+ 7db=1.7Vrms

+13 db=3.5Vrms

The standard input of the amplifier for acoustics on the PCA input is approximately 2Vrms.
Therefore, + 7db = 1.7Vrms is suitable.

The output of +13 db = 3.5Vrms can overload the input of a standard home amplifier into acoustics

It is dBu, not dB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is dBu, not dB.

You are right, of course dBu.

9 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-26 07:40:45)

SpeakFriend wrote:

Hi, no you would set the reference level to +13 and set the volume to -4.5 or -5.0. That will give approximately 2VRMS with a full-scale (0 dB FS) input signal.

I use the output of the RCA on the amplifier.
It's strange but when you install only + 1dBu, the sound is qualitative. When you set + 7dBu and the more + 13dBu, the strongest distortions in the sound. You do not have the option to listen in this mode. It's not clear why these modes are + 7 and +13 if they do not approach the RCA outputs. ADI2 DAC in these modes gives strong distortion at the output.
The louder the record is, the more distorted the distortion, especially in peaks. sad

It's obviously not the output that distorts, but the input of the amplifier that you connect the unit to. The higher levels are meant to connect to studio devices that can handle it. Hifi amplifiers can not.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am not aware of any HiFi amplifier that could not handle +13 dBu. A former typical output level of CD players has been 8 dBu for max volume. And what is PCA? Cinch/RCA?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-26 07:53:33)

RME Support wrote:

It's obviously not the output that distorts, but the input of the amplifier that you connect the unit to. The higher levels are meant to connect to studio devices that can handle it. Hifi amplifiers can not.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The input of the amplifier is not to blame.
I checked it with another amplifier and active speakers. The result is the same at +7 and +13 from the RME output. For testing, I took the output from the Realtek Sound card with a loudness of about +7 dB and the sound was clean and free of distortion. it seems that something is spoiled in PME with RCA outputs. Earlier distortions were not as much as I remember.
They appeared recently. Perhaps with the latest firmware. Is it possible to check for firmware update on the old firmware firmware Update 10 DSP 19?

13 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-26 08:01:06)

MC wrote:

I am not aware of any HiFi amplifier that could not handle +13 dBu. A former typical output level of CD players has been 8 dBu for max volume. And what is PCA? Cinch/RCA?

Sorry, mistakes Gugol translator.
Above I replied. It's the output of PME (RCA) that I suspect of distortions.
Previously, I did not notice at +7 and +13 distortions with the RCA output of the PME DAC.

Next problem in understanding - what is PME DAC?

The ADI-2 DAC's firmware does not have such a bug, downflashing will not help.

To test the distortion more reliably play a low frequency sine of 100 or 200 Hz and listen while you look at the level meters on the ADI-2 DAC to not reach clipping while changing the volume. Next step then would be to use simple cable adapters to do the same test with the Phones out and the XLR outs. If you then are sure that only RCA distorts at those ref level settings the unit should be send in for checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-26 08:31:19)

MC wrote:

Next problem in understanding - what is PME DAC?

The ADI-2 DAC's firmware does not have such a bug, downflashing will not help.

To test the distortion more reliably play a low frequency sine of 100 or 200 Hz and listen while you look at the level meters on the ADI-2 DAC to not reach clipping while changing the volume. Next step then would be to use simple cable adapters to do the same test with the Phones out and the XLR outs. If you then are sure that only RCA distorts at those ref level settings the unit should be send in for checking.

Can you truly answer the return to the previous firmware maybe?
There is a desire to try.

From the output of the RCA there are distortions, from the output of the XLR through the adapter XLR> RCA there are distortions, there is no distortion from the output of the phones, there is no pure XLR on the amplifier, so I can not check it. Measurements are not needed because the ear can hear a loud screech in the sound on the peaks of the sound at the level of +7 and +13, maybe there is also at +1 but there is less visible from the level.

You can flash whatever version you want, but the point is that there are thousands of users that can easily confirm that there is no such bug. Version 10/19 is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … n_1019.zip

You could also reset the unit to factory default to see if this distortion is caused by a user setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-26 16:43:05)

MC wrote:

You can flash whatever version you want, but the point is that there are thousands of users that can easily confirm that there is no such bug. Version 10/19 is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … n_1019.zip

You could also reset the unit to factory default to see if this distortion is caused by a user setting.

By reference did the installation. The firmware from v20 does not return to the old v19. It means there are no options to return to the old firmware. Why reference to the old firmware if it can not be installed?:(((
The reset did but the distortions were not lost.
And if the firmware is not to blame, then it means that with the ADI2 DAC itself and what should I do? Where can I repair the faulty ADI2 DAC?Bought in musicstore.de.

Did the FUT start and flash the unit? After that you switched the ADI off and on, as manual and dialog say?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by HIFI 2018-05-27 19:34:01)

MC wrote:

Did the FUT start and flash the unit? After that you switched the ADI off and on, as manual and dialog say?

Thanks you. smile
After several attempts, I was able to lower the firmware to 10 DSP 19 and then back to the new v20.. Why did not it happen the first time I do not know. Maybe I confused the files 10 DSP 19 and 11DSP20 because they are signed the same. I recommend the name of the firmware to the increasing numbers.
It seems that there are fewer distortions in +7 and can only seem. So far I will not rush to conclusions!

What a funny idea! Reading the FUT's readme you should have realized that this tool flashes a lot of units. So you want me to name it

fut_win_MFXT_189_42_56_MFUSB_24_XTC_47_26_MFPRO_69_ADI2Pro_174_86_DFUSB_12 UFX2_16_11_6_DAC_11_20.exe

and the other one

fut_win_MFXT_189_42_56_MFUSB_24_XTC_47_26_MFPRO_69_ADI2Pro_174_86_DFUSB_12 UFX2_16_11_6_DAC_10_19.exe

Hopefully you don't think that this makes any sense!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME